Nvidia Volta Speculation Thread

DSC

Regular
Banned
b7nOSgD.jpg

zd5KN1a.jpg

Nvidia just announced their next-gen architecture after Maxwell, Volta codenamed after Alessandro Volta.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessandro_Volta

What year should we be expecting this for? 2020? :no:

There are enough interested parties for stacked DRAM that I think something will come up before then.

One key thing is that making Volta's marketing bullet point stacked DRAM is that this can be relatively agnostic to the GPU architecture it is attached to. Delays in architectural design would be one possible source of schedule slippage that won't be a barrier to releasing something with stacked DRAM and calling it Volta.

Every other challenge to implementing the solution would remain, but everyone wants the bandwidth and power savings. They are going to be hard-pressed to get it any other way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this mean that all memory is stacked (so not just like a big cache, but actually ditching "external" memory interfaces completely and integrate all 8 or so GB)?

Next high performance process node succeeding TSMC 20nm. 2016?

Should be by 2015. Most of the fabs have been developing 16nm/14nm in parallel to 20nm as they need to close the gap with Intel. (As much as they can at least). Hopefully they won't split and 20nm might actually be a pretty short lived node.

Does this mean that all memory is stacked (so not just like a big cache, but actually ditching "external" memory interfaces completely and integrate all 8 or so GB)?

Yeah, I believe so. To achieve 1 TB/sec, they would need an extremely wide bus like 1024-bits at 8 Gbps IO. I think that would be very cost prohibitive.

Should be by 2015. Most of the fabs have been developing 16nm/14nm in parallel to 20nm as they need to close the gap with Intel. (As much as they can at least). Hopefully they won't split and 20nm might actually be a pretty short lived node.

Yup, I remember discussing this here. If so, I guess late 2015/ early 2016 for Volta.

Looks like all the memory is stacked, or at least they are showing 24 RAM chips, which is about right.

So what advantage does Stacked memory hold over standard memory ? less latency? faster access times? or just plain old increase in frequency ?

What happened to Einstein, the designated successor of Maxwell? Is Volta an entirely different project, with a different architecture?

I think Einstein was/is planned for 10nm, so Volta would be the chip that falls between Maxwell and Einstein. I imagine it will just be a refinement of Maxwell with the largest benefit being the stacked memory.

Back