Nvidia Turing Product Reviews and Previews: (Super, TI, 2080, 2070, 2060, 1660, etc)

Introducing the Quadro RTX 4000
The Quadro RTX 4000 features a power-efficient, single-slot design that fits in variety of workstation chassis. Other benefits include:

• Significant performance improvements — 8GB of ultra-fast GDDR6 graphics memory technology provides over 40 percent more memory bandwidth than the previous generation Quadro P4000.
  • 36 RT Cores — enable real-time ray tracing of objects and environments with physically accurate shadows, reflections, refractions and global illumination.
  • 288 Turing Tensor Cores for 57 teraflops of deep learning performance — accelerate neural network training and inference, which are critical to powering AI-enhanced rendering, products and services.
  • Hardware support for VirtualLink — new open industry standard meets the power, display and bandwidth demands of next-generation VR headsets through a single USB-C connector1.
  • Improved performance of VR applications — new and enhanced technologies include Variable Rate Shading, Multi-View Renderingand VRWorks Audio.
  • Video encode and decode engines — accelerate video creation and playback for multiple video streams with resolutions up to 8K.
index.php

Estimated street price for the Quadro RTX 4000 is $900.
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/introducing-the-quadro-rtx-4000.html

$900 seems like a great price for a Quadro based on TU106. It's probably what I'd buy if I was building a desktop workstation for renders.
Unless the RTX 2080 can do Optix just as well and then there'd be little reason to pay more for a Quadro...

GeForce GTX 1060 with GDDR5X uses GTX 1080 (GP104) GPU
In a very interesting find over in Asia new GeForce GTX 1060 video cards with GDDR5X memory have been spotted. We've mentioned them before. However as it now seems, they have been fitted with a GP104 GPU, and that's the one used on the GTX 1080.

Here's the thing, these might defect, reject or surplus chips, they then disable half of the cores and leave the working ones active. It's interesting though as the entire flash BIOS discussion would open up again, what if you inject an illegal firmware in there and would it be possible to get a fully working GP104 GPU? So the photos of a GTX 1060 / gddr5x have appeared on the Chinese market place Taobao . This clearly shows a GP104 GPU. The size alone already reveals that bit.

A fully enabled GPU has 2560 shader cores, where the GTX 1060 has 1280, exactly half of them. This all also explains how NVIDIA can tie GDDR5X memory to the GPU opposed to regular gddr5. AIB Partners like Gigabyte and Palit GTX all presented 1060 video cards with gddr5x. It is likely that the new SKU was inserted to better compete with the Radeon RX 590, expected this week.
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/geforce-gtx-1060-with-gddr5x-uses-gtx-1080-(gp104-gpu).html

Another way of looking at them might be that we're seeing chips that fell short of being on GTX 1070 cards. Or, instead of them being being good 1080s that have been sacrificed so as to fill a market segment, they were good 1070s that were sacrificed.

Though I guess anything is possible if nVidia welcomes the day the inventory of that series is gone. There's no "old man" at the top who'll blow his stack when he hears of good chips getting sold for a fraction of what could be gotten, it's just bookkeepers answering to other bookkeepers, who consult with tax experts, and who can justify everything to the stock holders.

Not sure the relevance of that video, though I haven't watched the whole thing. It says it's just standard hardware failure rates.

Not sure the relevance of that video, though I haven't watched the whole thing. It says it's just standard hardware failure rates.
Exactly, no more than standard hardware failure rates should be expected from the 2080Ti cards. Video has some benchmarks regarding what to look for regarding normal vs problematic video card. Many people assumed their 2080Ti was affected (BSOD) but only needed the latest driver.

I did seem some posts but nothing official. Some posts from people with affected cards indicated the replacement cards have Samsung memory, though not sure if that was the issue. Could be just normal memory supply turnover.

I did seem some posts but nothing official. Some posts from people with affected cards indicated the replacement cards have Samsung memory, though not sure if that was the issue. Could be just normal memory supply turnover.

Official enough?

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...ries/rtx-2080-ti-founders-edition-contact-us/

Limited test escapes from early boards caused the issues some customers have experienced with RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition.

We stand ready to help any customers who are experiencing problems.

Please visit www.nvidia.com/support to chat live with the NVIDIA tech support team (or to send us an email) and we’ll take care of it.

Yeah, I knew about the "test escapes" but did not know that specifically caused the problems people had.

Last edited:
Uh oh, could it be something bigger than just "test escapes"? NVIDIA has now de-listed RTX 2080 Ti completely from their own online shop https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shop/geforce/?page=1&limit=9&locale=en-us
If you go to it's product page it just says it's out of stock, but the other out of stock cards like 1080 Ti are still listed in the shop, 2080 Ti isn't

edit:
https://www.eteknix.com/geforce-rtx...-store/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Update 18/11/2018 20:29 GMT – A spokesperson from Nvidia has reached out to us to dismiss this story. Stating that the item is simply out of stock. Instead of showing as “out of stock”, the NVIDIA website simply removes the item from the store, which led us to believe that the item had been de-listed. This is false and we apologise for supplying false information. We’ll update again as any information arrises to that fact, or otherwise.

late edit:
Apparently the explanation by NVIDIA was false aswell and the actual reason was just scripting error on the page which limited the shown cards to those under $900. Also you could inject cards to the list via url
upload_2018-11-19_10-38-46.png

Last edited:
Back