Nvidia Tegra

I assumed something in this direction, but I still wonder why C870 picture, where you could read TEGRA on cooler, was changed.:LOL:

Nvidia has two CPU lines
Meet the Tegra APX and CSX

The big brother CSX 600 and 650 is aimed at larger machines with screens between handhelds and real laptops. It runs Wince, not XP or Me II because it is not x86, and in general makes you question why they bothered. The chip itself has 256K of L2 cache and can be die stacked to keep the footprint small.

This one runs at 700-800MHz and will support 1080p at 24FPS, not the full 60. It also has hard disk support and can run video in under 3W. If you are keeping track, this is about what Atom can do, but Atom doesn't have that pesky FPS limit.

Seems that NV wants to become a player in new "cheap, small PC/NB" market. ;)

Nvidia has two CPU lines
Meet the Tegra APX and CSX

Seems that NV wants to become a player in new "cheap, small PC/NB" market. ;)

Curious how Charlie compares Nvidia ARM11 SoC's to Intel's x86 Atom (when even Intel itself admits that MID's will run Linux anyway, because Windows -x86- is just not adequate), but then comes up with an odd "FPS limit".
I don't see any Intel Atom with 2D/3D capabilities on such a low power consumption footprint in the near future, but maybe it's just me...

I don't see how 1080p video is relevant at all, regardless of framerate.

PS. what about the Intel CE 2110? (Though they seem to have gone a bit quiet on that front.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hah, does Charlie even realize Bluray (and HD DVD) is 1080p @ 24FPS? And Silverthorne certainly does not support 60 FPS; it might support 30 though, but I don't think that's the point here...

Also, 'under 3W'? Uhhhh I don't think so, unless you include a large LCD screen in that number. Given NV's power numbers at 720p, I would be very surprised if 1080p HP reached anywhere near 1W, let alone 3W... Also, I would very heavily suspect that they're using a dual-core ARM11 there, just because they can.

One reason I can imagine for NV to bother with this is the embedded market. Clearly in addition to UMPC/MID-like design wins, this could be a very viable solution for cars etc. - in fact, I wonder if it might not be usable in HDD-based PMPs? One negative point of the APX 2500 was that it had a fair bit of the die dedicated to the image signal processor & video encode, and that it didn't support HDDs. Clearly a solution that supports:
- Dual-Core ARM11
- 1080p Video Decode
- 600MPix/s 3D (like the APX 2500)
... would be ideal for a HDD-based PMP like the iPod or the Zune. Something with a 4.5" VGA ideally. Hmmmm. I don't really think there's any reason why that's not doable. In which case this should be in the handheld forum anyway! :p

this is the "APX 2500" with the Tegra processor (modified ARM11). supposedly it's "capable" of 720p, although I doubt such a small screen is actually 720p.

nvidia-apx-2500-sm660.jpg

nvidiamwcmain166.jpg

Uhhh, why are you guys discussing APX 2500, you're 3+ months late! :| http://www.beyond3d.com/content/articles/101/
And that's a prototype, obviously devices which are more geared towards FPS gaming would have a few control buttons or whatever (but presumably most devices will NOT be aimed at FPS gaming at all).

How do you play an FPS on that thing anyway?

I think it has motion and tilt sensors on it, so you can use it like a 6 Axis controller to move around. Or maybe I'm confusing it with the Q3 on an iTouch video.

Hah, does Charlie even realize Bluray (and HD DVD) is 1080p @ 24FPS? And Silverthorne certainly does not support 60 FPS; it might support 30 though, but I don't think that's the point here...

Also, 'under 3W'? Uhhhh I don't think so, unless you include a large LCD screen in that number. Given NV's power numbers at 720p, I would be very surprised if 1080p HP reached anywhere near 1W, let alone 3W... Also, I would very heavily suspect that they're using a dual-core ARM11 there, just because they can.

One reason I can imagine for NV to bother with this is the embedded market. Clearly in addition to UMPC/MID-like design wins, this could be a very viable solution for cars etc. - in fact, I wonder if it might not be usable in HDD-based PMPs? One negative point of the APX 2500 was that it had a fair bit of the die dedicated to the image signal processor & video encode, and that it didn't support HDDs. Clearly a solution that supports:
- Dual-Core ARM11
- 1080p Video Decode
- 600MPix/s 3D (like the APX 2500)
... would be ideal for a HDD-based PMP like the iPod or the Zune. Something with a 4.5" VGA ideally. Hmmmm. I don't really think there's any reason why that's not doable. In which case this should be in the handheld forum anyway! :p

As someone who has a computer in my car that is the first thing I thought, but I imagine it will be OEM only. Nvidia might find success if they tried the via artigo route. Of course it will probably fail due to lack of software support for regular folks.

Back