NVIDIA Tegra Architecture

I don't know about you gentlemen, but I'd personally prefer a quad Swift, Krait or A9r4 nowadays in a smartphone then A15.

I actually agree with you for once. :)

That A9 r4 seems really interesting to me, I would thing at least in integer ops it would match krait 400 at the same clock speed...give or take a few %.
I always thought cortex A15 would be too much, I didnt think big_little or nvidias take with a shadow core was much cop either...give me quad kraits asynchronous style anyday.

I actually agree with you for once. :)

That A9 r4 seems really interesting to me, I would thing at least in integer ops it would match krait 400 at the same clock speed...give or take a few %.
No way imho. Might match a krait 200 though with some luck (granted it's not _that_ much slower than a 400), and it's clocked higher, so if it's any good or not entirely depends on the power it needs for that.

Yea a krait 200 isnt really much faster at integer than an A9 is it? What about 10% maxx?.
I bet it will be very power efficient as well, might turn out to he the ultimate smartphone cpu..depending in clock speeds.

Yes, and Cortex-A9r4 isn't much faster than older ones neither (though I wonder how much actually, the other revisions might also have brought some increases - just about the only thing I know of is that r4 is listed as having potentially more TLB entries (but the number isn't fixed so an actual implementation might not have more). I guess it is very difficult to isolate such changes performance-wise as the respective implementations will have other differences too (e.g. memory system).
I don't think it could quite be the "ultimate" smartphone SoC, a bit too late for that for the performance and featureset (on the gpu side) it offers. You'd think though it is decent enough (particularly thanks to its high level of integration including the baseband) to get some design wins.

Yes, and Cortex-A9r4 isn't much faster than older ones neither (though I wonder how much actually, the other revisions might also have brought some increases - just about the only thing I know of is that r4 is listed as having potentially more TLB entries (but the number isn't fixed so an actual implementation might not have more). I guess it is very difficult to isolate such changes performance-wise as the respective implementations will have other differences too (e.g. memory system).
I don't think it could quite be the "ultimate" smartphone SoC, a bit too late for that for the performance and featureset (on the gpu side) it offers. You'd think though it is decent enough (particularly thanks to its high level of integration including the baseband) to get some design wins.

No I was talking more about the cortex a9 r4 itself...not tegra 4i...I think tegra 4i wilk make an impressive midrange SOC, but it wouldnt make the perfect all round solution, only single channel memory ala tegra 3...its more like a tegra 3++ :)

http://www.nvidia.com/docs/IO/116757/NVIDIA_Quad_a15_whitepaper_FINALv2.pdf
- TLB entries increased to 512
- branch prediction history buffer and counters increased
- L1 data prefetcher

Some more information here: http://www.slideshare.net/caulfield2600/tegra-4i-expands-the-market

Basically dhrystone speed won't change, but larger programs that matter to end-users (browsers for instance) will have a nice boost.

http://www.nvidia.com/docs/IO/116757/NVIDIA_Quad_a15_whitepaper_FINALv2.pdf

Some more information here: http://www.slideshare.net/caulfield2600/tegra-4i-expands-the-market

Basically dhrystone speed won't change, but larger programs that matter to end-users (browsers for instance) will have a nice boost.

Thanks, perfect little smartphone processor me thinks ;)
Also on another slide from the same auther I picked up the false linley group snapdragon vs tegra 4 projections...which confirmed what I read elsewhere..the tegra 4 benchmarks run on ddr3L 1866 with no thermal constraints.
http://www.slideshare.net/mobile/caulfield2600/tegra-4-outperforms-snapdragon-17176163

Not representative of a smartphone at all.

No I was talking more about the cortex a9 r4 itself...not tegra 4i...I think tegra 4i wilk make an impressive midrange SOC, but it wouldnt make the perfect all round solution, only single channel memory ala tegra 3...its more like a tegra 3++ :)
I dunno I think the Cortex-A9 itself wasn't all _that_ great neither. Sure it was much better than the Cortex-A8 in perf/w but a A7 is miles ahead there still (of course, not a fair comparison since the absolute performance reached is lower). My guess is the A12 could be the ideal smartphone cpu but it's very late (and in 20nm those A7+A15 combos might be a lot more viable). So I'm not convinced the A9r4 really is any better smartphone cpu than Krait (say, 300) is, while appearing later.

Ah nice link. You can get that information out of the arm documentation but it's a very annoying search...

mczak,

Not trying to barge into your debate, but my only other point was that the A15 perf/mW ratio isn't necessarily ideal for a smartphone platform. Granted big.LITTLE puts a totally different perspective on things, however I'm still not convinced it's the most elegant solution today.

On a sidenote A7s (by themselves) are nice but I'd have them clocked at least at 1.2GHz. At 1.5GHz their perf/mW ratio is nearly ideal for today's =/<mainstream smartphones.

On a sidenote A7s (by themselves) are nice but I'd have them clocked at least at 1.2GHz. At 1.5GHz their perf/mW ratio is nearly ideal for today's =/<mainstream smartphones.
Yes they'd be terrific for non-highend smartphones, but unfortunately there's not really anything out there using them (ok some chinese companies use them). Granted there's a qualcomm chip coming (supposedly with 1.4Ghz) which I guess might get popular for cheaper smartphones, but it can't really qualify as ultimate smartphone chip since its absolute peak performance is too low (I guess roughly half that of those high clocked Cortex-A9) - certainly would be ways faster though than my aging single-core arm11 :).

Lots of the Chinese phones contain the dual or quad-core Cortex-A7s from Mediatek. Most operate at 1.2GHz, but some now run at speeds up to 1.5GHz. I'm thinking about trying out one of the many pretty cheap, yet well-specced Chinese phones which use these chips. For not much over a hundred quid, it would seem rude not to get myself a new toy to play with! ;)

Also some of the other Chinese chips contain A7s though these don't seem to have anywhere near the market penetration of the MediaTek chips. Also, I note that one of the new Snapdragons contains quad-core A7s so perhaps we'll see some devices featuring these before too long?

Now, I just need to find a Chinaphone which fits my requirements. A phone called the FAEA F1 looked to be ideal for me (compact, 4.5" 720p screen and microSD expansion) until I realised it apparently contains a Snapdragon with quad Cortex-A5s! I can't see that being much of an upgrade over my 2 year old Atrix (Tegra 2) phone so I think I'll have to give it a miss.

The search continues...

Wow, a tablet with 2560x1600 and a low latency pen seems damn desireable. You could do math all day on it (the kinds where you need to be able to write and draw anything in free form)
I can imagine being easy to learn drawing as well, or why not an app that helps you train your handwriting into looking better for someone else that would need to read it. Why not some software that analyzes your handwriting and suggest you a slightly better but similar way to draw those 'f', 'g' and 'e'. And let me log in with a handwritten (invisible) password.

Maybe I'm falling for it because Toshiba used that "Excite" word but the concept of usable pen computing is interesting to me. Pen and paper is still superior to laptops and classic tablets in many ways.
I would only worry about cost, battery life and fear of getting it broken.

Wow, a tablet with 2560x1600 and a low latency pen seems damn desireable. You could do math all day on it (the kinds where you need to be able to write and draw anything in free form)
I can imagine being easy to learn drawing as well, or why not an app that helps you train your handwriting into looking better for someone else that would need to read it. Why not some software that analyzes your handwriting and suggest you a slightly better but similar way to draw those 'f', 'g' and 'e'. And let me log in with a handwritten (invisible) password.

Maybe I'm falling for it because Toshiba used that "Excite" word but the concept of usable pen computing is interesting to me. Pen and paper is still superior to laptops and classic tablets in many ways.
I would only worry about cost, battery life and fear of getting it broken.

I don't really see the appeal. You could do math on it, but unless it featured exceptionally good character recognition software and automatic translation to LaTeX, I don't really see the advantage over a classic pen and paper combo.

Tegra 5

Been off the grid for a while..but have an interesting tidbit to share. Apparently Tegra 5 came back from the fab last week and is already up and running at speeds >2 Ghz. CPU is still the same Cortex A15 layout as T4. And it has a Kepler derived, GK108 class GPU.

AFAIK, there's no GK108.

There's the GK107 with 384 shader units, 32 TMUs and 16 ROPs and now there's the GK208 which appears to be aither a respin of the GK107 or a smaller GPU with the same numbers of shader units but half the TMUs and ROPs.

But these are GPUs with over 1B transistors, which could be too much.
I was actually expecting nVidia to deliver something like half a GK107 with Tegra 5.

Back