NVIDIA Tegra Architecture

Im not putting any words in your mouth. You just admitted that you are comparing when S800 will be widely available to when Tegra4i will be first available as the basis for your claim that they are competing against each other.

No I did not. Let me say it one more time: the expectation is that S800 will be first available in Q3 2013, with most devices available in Q4 2013, while Tegra 4i will be first available in Q4 2013, with most devices available in Q1 2014. Why is that so hard to understand?

And you keep ignoring the fact that S600 was supposed to be first available in Q2 but the first devices will actually appear in Q1.

S600 has no bearing on this discussion. S800 is a more complicated design with more changes made to the CPU and GPU, and with integrated baseband modem too.

Basically taking the best case scenario for Nvidia and the worst case scenario for Qualcomm.

No, I am just using common sense that S800 will first show up in Q3 2013 with "most" devices available in Q4 2013 for the holiday season, and that T4i will first show up in Q4 2013, with "most" devices available in Q1 2014.

S600 has no bearing on this discussion. S800 is a more complicated design with more changes made to the CPU and GPU, and with integrated baseband modem too

Of course it has no bearing. It completely ruins your argument

I like the certainty when it comes to N devices that will be available at X timeframe, like nothing could ever go wrong for any side and projections are ALWAYS being met without any delay whatsoever. Did it ever occur to you that device shipping is completely out of a SoC manufacturer's control?

Of course it has no bearing. It completely ruins your argument

Sounds familiar to me....

I like the certainty when it comes to N devices that will be available at X timeframe, like nothing could ever go wrong for any side and projections are ALWAYS being met without any delay whatsoever. Did it ever occur to you that device shipping is completely out of a SoC manufacturer's control?

Sounds familiar to me....

Thats it ailuros nail your colours to fence :D

Absolutely. Im not gonna pretend its a guarantee Qualcomm will deliver at X timeframe. But if i was a betting man, who would i bet on? The company who has suffered delays in the past and has had problems getting smartphone design wins

Or the company that already has design wins lined up and delivered earlier than their own estimated availability.

Its not a hard choice for me

It would be pretty stupid then for qualcomm to be comparing the adreno 330 to the older snapdragon s4 on earlier drivers and lpddr2 dont you think??

Oh would it? Then why does Qualcomm specifically compare the performance of S600 and S800 to S4 Pro here: http://www.qualcomm.com/media/blog/2013/01/07/snapdragon-800-series-and-600-processors-unveiled. In fact, I still haven't seen anything from you that specifically states that the Adreno 330 in S800 is 50% faster than S600 (rather than S4 Pro).

As we have seen s600 (adreno 320) benchmarks on a samsung device hitting 40+ fps. .on early software

So if we assume that the Adreno 320 in S600 is ~ 30% faster than S4 Pro, why is it so far fetched to think that Adreno 330 in S800 is ~ 50% faster than S4 Pro?

No, it is completely irrelevant to what was being argued.

And what was being argued was your claim that both chips will be commercially available by end of 2013. Even though you have zero info wether Nvidia even has any design wins, you assume Qualcomm cant be early because they have an integrated modem but Nvidia will be ready well in time despite this being their first design with an integrated modem

Not to mention you blatantly taking the first possible availability of Tegra4i and comparing it to when S800 will be widely available. If you dont work for Nvidia, i honestly think you should, you would fit in with their marketing

And what was being argued was your claim that both chips will be commercially available by end of 2013.

I see that reading comprehension is not your strong suit. I said that S800 and T4i are both expected to be available in the second half of 2013. I also said that logically it would make sense for "most" S800 devices to be available in Q4 2013 for the holiday season (with first devices available in Q3 2013), while "most" T4i devices are expected to be available in Q1 2014 (with first devices available in Q4 2013). As for marketing, I suggest that you apply for a position at Qualcomm so that you can talk illogically over and over again about cleaning NVIDIA's clock.

Absolutely. Im not gonna pretend its a guarantee Qualcomm will deliver at X timeframe. But if i was a betting man, who would i bet on? The company who has suffered delays in the past and has had problems getting smartphone design wins

Or the company that already has design wins lined up and delivered earlier than their own estimated availability.

Its not a hard choice for me

I'd personally bet on the company which has historically a better execution track record in that space; others would bet based on personal preferences and their own agenda. No need to mention any names.

I see that reading comprehension is not your strong suit. I said that S800 and T4i are both expected to be available in the second half of 2013. I also said that logically it would make sense for "most" S800 devices to be available in Q4 2013 for the holiday season, while "most" T4i devices are expected to be available in Q1 2014. As for marketing, I suggest you apply for a position at Qualcomm because you have done a wonderful job spinning things here in their favor.

"it appears that NVIDIA considers the Snapdragon 800 SoC platform to be the closest competitor to it's Tegra 4i SoC platform, and in some ways they are correct due to both SoC's having integrated baseband modem, due to both SoC's having a CPU clock operating frequency up to 2.3 GHz, and due to both SoC's having commercial availability by end of 2013. NVIDIA even states that Tegra 4i "is significantly faster yet half the size of its nearest competitor"

Oh would it? Then why does Qualcomm specifically compare the performance of S600 and S800 to S4 Pro here: http://www.qualcomm.com/media/blog/2013/01/07/snapdragon-800-series-and-600-processors-unveiled. In fact, I still haven't seen anything from you that specifically states that the Adreno 330 in S800 is 50% faster than S600 (rather than S4 Pro).

So if we assume that the Adreno 320 in S600 is ~ 30% faster than S4 Pro, why is it so far fetched to think that Adreno 330 in S800 is ~ 50% faster than S4 Pro?

Where does it say in that link that adreno 330 is compared to adreno 320 in s4 pro and not on s600??
It only states 2x compute at that page it only compares krait generations.
They did mention 50% more graphics than adreno 320 at their keynote at ces...you know the one where the s600 was also anounced...

You will also note by the way that both the adreno gpus in both the pro and s600 are the same thing right??. S600 just benefits from better drivers and better bandwidth. ..drivers would also be available for s4 pro...making the only performance difference between s600and pro increased bandwidth....something the s800 also has access to by default. ...so..are you saying that qualcomm has only increased performance by 50% from pro to adreno 330?...even taking into considerstion a chunk of that performace would come from just lpddr3??...
-what about the compute increase by 2x....where is this 1.5x nonsense you were speaking of gone?
-what ks the point of qualcomm obviously increasing execution units of some kind in adreno 330 to get double compute..including increasing clocks by at least 50mhz...to only yield something like 10-20% graphics performance increase over adreno 320??...

Im sorry but thst doesnt make sense and match qualcomms past history kn this regard. ..which is usually every new gpu release is either 50% or 2x better, in this case its both.

and due to both SoC's having commercial availability by end of 2013.

I think you misinterpreted what I meant here. I did not mean that S800 will have commercial availability only by end of 2013. After all, it should be obvious to most of us that S800 will be available well before then. What I meant is that S800 and T4i will both be available by end of 2013, and specifically in the second half of 2013 (rather than, say, one year apart or something ludicrous like that).

Where does it say in that link that adreno 330 is compared to adreno 320 in s4 pro and not on s600??

Qualcomm doesn't specify one way or another, but Qualcomm does compare "overall" performance of S600 and S800 specifically to S4 Pro. But ask yourself this: if Adreno 320 in S600 is 30% faster than S4 Pro (and just FYI, that is due in part to higher GPU clock operating frequencies according to Anandtech), and if Adreno 330 in S800 is really 50% faster than Adreno 320 in S600, then Adreno 330 in S800 would actually be 95% faster than Adreno 320 in S4 Pro. So if that were truly the case, why would Qualcomm not simply say "Adreno 330 in S800 is 95% faster than Adreno 320 in S4 Pro" rather than saying vaguely that Adreno 330 is only 50% faster than Adreno 320?

Back