NVIDIA Tegra Architecture

Discussion in 'Mobile Graphics Architectures and IP' started by french toast, Jan 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

You'd hope the 16nm version at the very least. Was there much to speak of for Parker in terms of architecture (not counting the voodoo magic with the clocks)? TX1 already had double-rate FP16 for example. Pascal also updated the bandwidth compression I suppose.

2. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Yeah unfortunately I don't think the game supports performing AF itself.

3. swaaye

Legend

With a tablet one might assume they'd want the most efficient tech possible, though not necessarily a 256 ALU version of it like the known chips have. But it does appear to have active cooling (there is a vent) so I have a feeling it's at least 256 ALU. Tegra K1 has no problems gaming without active cooling.

4. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

If it's a K1 derivative then it's unlikely to have more than 192SPs. Both Tegra K1 and X1 have not problems gaming in ultra thin tablets for instance (without active cooling) as long as neither/nor GPU isn't clocked over 850MHz.
    IMHO most likely candidate is some sort of X1 derivative under 20SoC TSMC.

Does anyone have a clue if there's another SoC in the dock?

5. swaaye

Legend

It appears to have a fan. I saw at least one vent on the tablet in the video. That's potential for something more. Maybe just different clocks when docked though.

Or maybe the dock has the fan and moves air into it while docked...

6. Erinyes

Regular

Dosen't this imply that it's Pascal? Which would mean its 16nm. Wouldn't make sense to launch anything else in March 2017 IMHO.

Also do you really think Nintendo paid for a custom SoC or is this basically a Parker?

7. swaaye

Legend

Don't they almost always go custom?

8. Erinyes

Regular

They do but what I meant was do you think its really a highly customised part or basically some minor tweak of Parker. Can't imagine they need too much more performance

9. CSI PC

Veteran Newcomer

Cannot tell from the info given so far but I would be expecting it to be a custom 16nm Pascal Tegra, after all we have the smaller Drive PX2 models now as well and logically they would also apply the experience and hardware to the Tegra world for certain products.
    I am still curious about capabilities and optional hardware (if feasible) as they will be competing against next-gen mobile phones/tablets in early 2017, and they are more powerful than the Maxwell Tegra although those phones probably will catch fire or bend on you :)

Cheers

#3889 CSI PC, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  10. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

I suppose the Switch does change clock depending on whether it's on battery or on power socket, which would make sense given the change in resolution too...

Ailuros likes this.
  11. huebie

Newcomer

I think it depends on whether they are using a secondary GPU in the station or not. You would need at least PCIE or something equivalent that is capable of unplugging during a running session. The Tegra itself has not very powerful I/O for external comms. I hope it is not only one Tegra, since it would be a very limiting factor for performance. ;)

12. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Tegra 3, K1, X1 and X2 all have PCI Express connections.
    I don't think an external GPU in the dock makes a lot of sense because it would make it rather expensive and Nintendo officials have stated time and again that the new console would have to be affordable, but the limit would definitely not be from any I/O in current Tegra architectures.

13. huebie

Newcomer

PCIE 3.0 with at least 4 lanes? :?::no:

14. ToTTenTranz

All of them have 4 lanes. Parker / TX2 is most definitely PCI Express 3.0 since the Drive PX2 depends on external dGPUs.

15. huebie

Newcomer

Is there any technical paper to proof that? But yeah maybe you are right. Anyway: the story with the secondary GPU was denied by big N. So we wont see much better graphics...

16. Lazy8s

Veteran

17. ToTTenTranz

That's a Parker / Tegra X2.
    Cudos to Nintendo and nvidia if that's the SoC driving the Switch.

It would stand at around half the performance of a PS4, or 2/3rds of a Xbone, so definitely enough for latest-gen visuals at 720p.
    Given the expensive quad-channel LPDDR4 memory setup and 8GB of it nonetheless, plus the exquisite CPU core arrangement, I wouldn't count on it though.

18. CSI PC

Veteran Newcomer

They show the PCIex4 in their architecture slide, albeit I would say the GPUs seem to be dedicated per Parker.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

#3898 CSI PC, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  19. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

dGPU chips are significantly smaller than each Parker? LOL :D

20. ToTTenTranz

I don't remember if the area for Parker has been disclosed.
    In those diagrams, they have to put all the ports coming out of the SoC, and that's most probably why it's drawn larger than the GPUs (which are probably GP106)

kalelovil and Lodix like this.