NVIDIA Sony Graphics Interview

MechanizedDeath said:
I just think it's a little strange that everyone assumes this is some PC part being adapted to fit the PS3 when it could just as well be the other way around.

Duane, when the boss of nVIDIA and other two separate nVIDIA PR peope in different interviews state that the PlayStataion 3 GPU is a customized version of the Next Generation PC GPU architecture you tend to trust the only sources that are spaking on record... that would be them :).

In this interview the nVIDIA guy even states that what we all knew that in reality before the announcement nVIDIA was not even working on the GPU for PlayStation 3, but they were finisihing the NV5X architecture and were in the talks with Sony about their Software Development Platform (based around Cg and OpenGL ES 2.0 and other nVIDIA tools).

A little off-topic, and I know that what I'm about to say here is a sacriledge (in this forum), but there are more important things then 3D rendering these days.

Don't misunderstand me. I still think that the rendering the PS3 will be great, and will at least give us UE3 quality rendering (probably better).

But what I'm getting at, is that I think people tend to give too much importance to polygon count, shadows and lighting , and forget about all the other elements that also help compose the sense of realism and immersion in games. Elements such as :

- Physics
- Character animation
- A.I.
- General ambience simulation (procedure texture generation for clouds, fauna , fire, etc...)

These things have been major obstacles in today's games with today's CPUs. I can only wonder at what games will look and feel like, if you could use the full of the PS3's power on these elements I mentioned.

I agree this (e.g. physycs) have a effect a lot better than (e.g.) soft shadows

920744_20040902_screen001.jpg

Yeah i've brought up that point many times in the past.

What concerns me the most is that even today's hardware can calculate quite some realistic physics/animation, but not all developers seem to be putting a lot of effort into it.

There are a few games that make you really go WOW because of how things move, available today, so it CAN be done in current hardware.

Next Gen hardware will be even better, the problem is, will Developers care?

The answer in the next episode of B3D Lives: Revenge of the Homo.

Yeah FEAR looks awesome, in a Burnout3 sort of way, lots of particles, damage, destruction...

I can only imagine how long it will take my PC to melt down trying to run such a game...

lots of high res texturing there... how much RAM is required? Viddy RAM too?

*thinks of Doom 3* :cry:

Almasy said:
leechan25 said:
What else works better with cell than a cell based chip. I mean come on,
that's the main reason sony design cell that way. Why in the world would Sony have someone design a GPU that is not cell based when they said it would be fab at their semi plants?

To reduce costs??

Well if they wanted to reduce cost in who be smarter if their GPU was cell based because they could control price and production. I really think Nvidia is biulding a GPU out of a Cell chip. Remember, its a scalcable chip. kinda like a modern x86. That's what I think. Since it would be a real waste of time if Sony, Toshiba and IBM simply made cell to proform limited applications. From what we can asume cell chips will be grouped together generate more power. Who said it can't be a cell based GPU, sound chip, or any other chips needed to run a system?

I think most of you are missing the picture - it's a cell, maybe like a stem cell. It can become what are Sony, Toshiba, or IBM needs it be. So if you think like this - it would be wise for Sony to bring Nvidia in to turn a cell into a GPU. Who any holds more patents, has real world product respect, and resource to develop a truly next generation GPU?

Sony is smart to bring on board the best companies in each industry to develop parts of the stem cell like chip. :idea:

Damn pc999! That was some mayhem in that screenshot! I think that must be a good example of an extravagant display of physics. That game must have really high system requirements.

I have a good feeling about the end-results we will see in the PS3 games. Most of the tasks I outlined earlier...

- Physics
- Character animation
- A.I.
- General ambience simulation (procedural texture generation for clouds, fauna , fire, etc...)

can fit easily into a multi scalar programming model. If developers put some effort in these elements, we might see in this next generation of consoles games that not only look beautiful, but aren't populated by AI idiots with body movements and facial expressions of cerebral palsy afflicted zombies on acid.

The problem today, is that if you want to go deep enough in physics, AI or in character animation, you always end up hogging the CPU. So developers always settle for the mediocre. And gamers, often end up accepting and getting used to these mediocre standards. When we see a in-game real-time animation featuring a character acting like some weird Kabuki actor, we don't see anything wrong with it. We would definately not have the same standard when watching a CG movie. Another example is AI. You play an RPG, and you don't mind seeing monsters that should be acting like predators, behaving like cows in the middle of some field. Hopefully, this and all the other "details" will flourish in this new generation of games.

I really think Nvidia is biulding a GPU out of a Cell chip.

That's unlikely, Sony will be integrating the GPU with cell. They wouldn't need to do that, if the GPU is already Cell.

Cell is a CPU, not a graphics chip. The nvidia graphics chip will compliment cell, but IMO not be 50% merged with cell.

"We've been working with them to produce a version that is customised specifically to connect that to the Cell processor," he said, "so that they could work together."

What kinda like a Cell... ;)

That quote actually implies the opposite. "Cell" probaly wouldn't need customisation to work with "Cell", something that isn't "Cell" would need custimisation to work with "Cell"!

I would, however, suggest that you search the coutless discussions on this topic in this forum as they have all been mulled over time and time again; the inclusion of NVIDIA as the graphics processor (and NVIDIA stamping "our next generation processor" over every statement they make about it) is probably one of the best indications that you are going to get that the graphics isn't "Cell" based.

Back