NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might be the last good quater for gpu sales. I'm sure bobcat and sandybridge (or whatever the portable name is) will start to take chunks out of the low end market there. Nvidia doesn't have anything to compete. I mean what do they put up against a 18w cpu/gpu that performs on par with the lower end igp's from them and amd ?

I think they have a 64bit fermi part in the new year, GF119, might try that?

Conference call transcript from Seeking Alpha
Most importantly, we’ve taken the last seven GPUs from A01 Silicon directly into production.
Can anyone name these?

I think they have a 64bit fermi part in the new year, GF119, might try that?

Conference call transcript from Seeking Alpha

Can anyone name these?

Yes that was weird too. Is he counting mobile versions as distinct from desktop ones? Or was he referring to GF114 and other upcoming refreshes?

Alexko said:
Yes that was weird too. Is he counting mobile versions as distinct from desktop ones? Or was he referring to GF114 and other upcoming refreshes?

I think you're right:
GF104, GF106, GF108
GF104m, GF106m, GF108m
GF110

Mobile chips don't have different tapeouts and designations though and aren't considered different GPUs. He would be flat out lying to people who know better. If GF11x variants are in production he could be referring to those.

At Q4/09 JHH told, that GF100 A1 was a working prototype, while at Q4/10 GF100 A1 was completely dead... I wouldn't care about his statements, he is able to tell anything to draw attention.

:LOL:

That's not very nice… I think the chipset division is still making at least $100 million per quarter, maybe twice that. Granted, it is going to be epsilon soon.

Alrighty. A stillborn business crossing a dead end one. Big Deal.

PS: I don't have the numbers with me, but your $100M/Q seems to be on the higher side.

This might be the last good quater for gpu sales. I'm sure bobcat and sandybridge (or whatever the portable name is) will start to take chunks out of the low end market there. Nvidia doesn't have anything to compete. I mean what do they put up against a 18w cpu/gpu that performs on par with the lower end igp's from them and amd ?

I completely disagree with that. First of all one has to be impressed that they are already making good money while they where behind over the past 9 to 12 months. Now with the new products they are a lot more competetive and i think that their biggest trump card will be the GTX 560 due to the fact that Barts is rather weak and left the window for counters really wide open.

Regarding the integrated GPUs i think that Nvidia already accepted the fact that the low-end will decrease but they will offset that with other business especially the professional business. What a lot of people seem to oversee is the fact that the integrated solutions decrease also AMD's business of low discrete cards and they don't have anything at the moment so balance this out. And even further their sales of integrated Fusion parts is heavily bound to their CPU performance compared to Intel. If AMD is loosing ground they will loose CPU market share which in the end means less Fusion sales. BTW the margins on these products are very slim. Intel has been giving away their IGP's in the past for almost free similar to what they do in the Netbook area with Atom and its GPU unit.

Alrighty. A stillborn business crossing a dead end one. Big Deal.

That's more like it! :LOL: Then again, JHH said Q1 would see Tegra taking off, so who knows, maybe he was actually telling the truth this time.

PS: I don't have the numbers with me, but your $100M/Q seems to be on the higher side.

As I remember, the chipset business used to make up about a third of NVIDIA's revenue. Now, it's probably less, but I think they're still selling quite a few chipsets for Core 2, AMD, and Macs.

Re the 7 chips...

Well starting from GF100 which was A3....

1) GF104
2) GF106
3) GF108
Then it appears nvidia started "quantitative easing" on what a new chip is with the revisions:
4) GF110
5) GF114
I guess the final 2 must be the sku's that turned up in the driver awhile back
6) GF117
7) GF119

Not sure if GF117 is a slightly smaller optimised revision of GF106 or a completely new thing like GF119 is.

Re the 7 chips...

Well starting from GF100 which was A3....

1) GF104
2) GF106
3) GF108
Then it appears nvidia started "quantitative easing" on what a new chip is with the revisions:
4) GF110
5) GF114
I guess the final 2 must be the sku's that turned up in the driver awhile back
6) GF117
7) GF119

Not sure if GF117 is a slightly smaller optimised revision of GF106 or a completely new thing like GF119 is.

Or it could just be
GF104
GF106
GF108
GF110
GF114
GF116
GF118

I thought the rumors were that GF119 is 28nm? I don't think a 28nm chip would be considered "in production"

Ok, That's just annoying. ;)

Did you listen to the CC? He was going on and on and on about how Tegra was magical, and fantastic, and awesome, just like the iPad but even better and that's why it was delayed, not because NVIDIA was late!

I mean that was annoying, really. Still, I wasn't being sarcastic in the second part you quoted, I don't trust JHH one bit, but this time he was really assertive, and during an earnings report to boot, so he may be telling the truth. Of course I don't think we would flat out lie, but there are ways to misrepresent the truth without actually saying things that aren't true, and corporate execs know how to do that well.

It would if it taped out already ;)

Would it? JHH was saying that they had taken A1 silicon to production for the past 7 GPUs. If taping out a chip constitutes production, his statement would be a meaningless tautology. Why stop at 7 GPUs, why not say 11? After all, they did tape out GF100-A1, and if that's all that's needed to claim taking A1 silicon to production, why not count it as well?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean.

low end isn't where nV makes most of their money ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back