Nvidia Pascal Announcement

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by huebie, Apr 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ryan Smith

Regular

If the mounting holes are the same as GTX 980 (Ti), then partners can just take their existing coolers designed for those reference PCBs and strap them on to the 1080, so the TTM for semi-custom cards is very low. None the less, I'm taking a wait and see approach, as this still takes longer than getting the FE cards out the door.

Edit: Yeah, all of the holes on the outer rim of the card are identical, as is GPU and DRAM placement. So as long as your heatsink gives appropriate clearance over the entire right side of the card, then you can just reuse your cooler.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980/images/front.jpg
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080/images/front.jpg

#981 Ryan Smith, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
    Lightman, Grall, xpea and 1 other person like this.
  2. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

While I obviously (have to) agree there, it's kinda strange anyhow, since Nvidia must've known that as well and one of the scarce reasons for a premium priced FE just evaporates.

Razor1 likes this.
  3. xEx

xEx
    Regular Newcomer

Not just one...THE reason for the premium price just disappear.

4. Razor1

Veteran

Unless ya really want that hunk of aluminum :), would be good to bludgeon one's self with.

5. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Well [H] covered one aspect which has some validity to it

A1xLLcqAgt0qc2RyMz0y, BRiT and Razor1 like this.
  6. Razor1

Veteran

that actually makes sense!

A1xLLcqAgt0qc2RyMz0y likes this.
  7. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

True, but that's pure OEM/SB value, in my book at least no reason for heavily increased end user pricing.

no-X, Lightman, Silent_Buddha and 4 others like this.
  8. Razor1

Veteran

9. xEx

xEx
    Regular Newcomer

Well there is a reason....selling a 320mm chip for 700 dollars is a very good one.

10. MDolenc

Regular

I'll have to revise my earlier post on this, since it contained quite a few errors. Though in my defense we are talking about something that's part of NV extension mechanics...

The point is that NV allows viewport bitmask, not just viewport index. Yes AMD has GL_AMD_vertex_shader_viewport_index and can send triangle to specified viewport without invoking geometry shader. But the problem is that it can't multicast triangle to multiple viewports (without invoking GS). In case of multi resolution rendering that NV demoed on Maxwell some triangles will most definitely span viewports. This means they will have to be sent to multiple viewports and Maxwell can do that. And it can do that for all 16 API defined viewports (and to all them at the same time) not just 9 as I claimed in my previous post.
    It can also swizzle coordinates which allows it to render cube map in a single pass in this fast GS regime. It also allows you to discard triangle my setting viewport mask to 0.

With regards to Pascal there is actually not any actual information on how you will go around implementing this single pass stereo and other stuff they demoed. But it's easy to imagine that instead of 16 swizzle modes for viewports they extended this to 16 matrices (or that they are read from some constant buffer slot, which is actually more likely).

pharma, Razor1 and silent_guy like this.
  11. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

To follow up on this, it was clarified that async is still disabled, which can point to inter-run variation or some other non-compute factor nudging the needle.

12. xEx

xEx
    Regular Newcomer

Tear-Down of a 1080p. It has 1 million screws...g-zus.

13. CSI PC

Veteran Newcomer

Indeed, but for the price increase they could had even improved on the design.
    Take a look at the ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Matrix Platinum and how well it encloses the heat to ensure it all goes out through the exhaust, unfortunately the 1080 reference design has some leakage at the top of the card.

Reference 1080:
    [​IMG]

Asus 980 Matrix Platinum:
    [​IMG]

Links to both reviews:
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_1080_review,10.html
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_980_matrix_platinum_review,9.html

Cheers

elect, Razor1 and BRiT like this.
  14. Ext3h

Regular Newcomer

If they did just lens matched shading for one eye, a viewport array with bitmask indexing would had been sufficient, assuming that they've extended both the "swizzle" as well as the viewport transformation matrix past clipping and scissoring to arbitrary matrices. But they didn't stop there. They used a different projection matrix for each eye as well.

We'll probably have to wait till the used DX11 extension is properly documented before we know for sure what Nvidia did. But so far it still smells as if they used the GS stage for vertex duplication. (Respectively I suspect that even using a bitmask to index the viewports internally maps to an appendix to the GS, unrolling the bitmask into individual vertices with full numerical indizes, even though I would need to benchmark that to confirm that...)

15. renderstate

Newcomer

Unfortunately for AMD this is not the case since their extension only outputs to one viewport, while NV_viewport_array2 allows to output a triangle to many viewports at once.

Projection matrices are not associated to viewports. If you do change projection on a per viewport basis then you can't use the fast GS path on Maxwell. I suspect LSM, which I wouldn't characterizer as a non-rectangular viewport (I'm pretty sure the viewport is still a rectangle :) ), allows you to still use the fast GS path and a single projection matrix, or perhaps two, with single pass stereo (not sure of how that works yet..)

Razor1, silent_guy, pharma and 2 others like this.
  16. Voxilla

Regular

17. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

The eetimes article seems to rule out Pascal being involved.

18. orcinus

I'm looking at those pictures and ... am I blind? Holes differ in the 2nd column from the right, where a middle hole is completely off to the right on 1080's PCB.

Hmm, when they plan to enable it? ATM the result is very bad.

19. Ryan Smith

Regular

It's the top and the bottom that matter. 3rd party open air coolers typically don't use the mounting hole on the right, since they're one flat heatsink extending to the end of the card (and often beyond). It's really only for blowers, which need it to secure the far end of the shroud.

20. Jawed

Legend

elect and Lightman like this.