NVIDIA No 3?

Uttar said:
When you're in good relations with people, and they believe there's no reason why this should be secret, they give you info. Anymore questions?
Yeah, how do you trick 'em into thinking you have a good relationship with 'em? Is it thru faking sincerity or cash bribes?

;) :p

Nah, just by saying "Don't worry, don't tell me too much, I don't want you to get in trouble" over and over again ;) :p

Uttar

Uttar said:
Nah, just by saying "Don't worry, don't tell me too much, I don't want you to get in trouble" over and over again ;) :p

Uttar
Hey Uttar, don't worry. Just don't tell me too much, I don't want you to get in trouble... ;)

thatdude90210 said:
tazdevl said:
It will be interesting to see if nVIDIA and ATI team up in the integrated market and take Intel on. At this point, nVIDIA doesn't have the resources to go head to head with Intel.
Does ATI even need Nvidia's help to take on Intel? They gained something like 6 percentage points on Intel this last quarter... and did it while their IGP only started to ship.

Given the trend in low cost integrated PCs and the fact that Intel completely dominates the integrated market... do you really need me to answer your question?

Given the trend in low cost integrated PCs and the fact that Intel completely dominates the integrated market... do you really need me to answer your question?

The problem that companies like ATI/Nvidia face when attempting to compete in this market is that most of the people buying integrated graphics don't give a crap about their 3d performance. Given a choice between paying 25 cents less and 10x the 3d performance a lot of buyers in this segment will take the quarter. So building a better chipset doesn't necessarily benefit them for competing in that market. You have to build one cheaper or at least the same price in order to significantly dent Intel's share.

Given a choice between paying 25 cents less and 10x the 3d performance a lot of buyers in this segment will take the quarter.

True.. but what about 2D features/quality? I wonder if dual monitors onboard would help either.

Am I the only one that every time I look at the title of this thread, I hear Peter Falk's voice (a Sam Spade knockoff role in Murder By Death) saying, "You look more like number two to me, if you know what I mean. . ."?

Probably just me approaching old fogieness again.

All I know is that if I were nVidia I wouldn't wait for Intel to give me a license before I started developing my solution...

ByteMe said:
Another year and nvidia will be number 4.

well, this is interesting question.... who it could be?
- Bitboys: gone from even trying to desktop.
- PowerVR: umm... S5 is somewhere out there, but will it be in here some day is question that remains to be seen. and if answer is yes, is it still competitive?
- S3 Graphics: these guys are coming but not during 2004. no way. they need more time.
- Matrox: Noone exactly (obiously not even their management) knows what happens at Montreal and where the ship is leaving next. Their R&D was minimalized after Parhelia flop, but they did do some new investements on that side during last year, so only time shows... is the time short enough make it this year, will be seen too.
- XGI: well, they CAN get pretty huge market share via growing Chinese markets though their card could not even render bilinear right... so as funny as it sounds, XGI is the strongest contender.

Nappe1 said:
ByteMe said:
Another year and nvidia will be number 4.

well, this is interesting question.... who it could be?
- Bitboys: gone from even trying to desktop.
- PowerVR: umm... S5 is somewhere out there, but will it be in here some day is question that remains to be seen. and if answer is yes, is it still competitive?
- S3 Graphics: these guys are coming but not during 2004. no way. they need more time.
- Matrox: Noone exactly (obiously not even their management) knows what happens at Montreal and where the ship is leaving next. Their R&D was minimalized after Parhelia flop, but they did do some new investements on that side during last year, so only time shows... is the time short enough make it this year, will be seen too.
- XGI: well, they CAN get pretty huge market share via growing Chinese markets though their card could not even render bilinear right... so as funny as it sounds, XGI is the strongest contender.

Nope to all of the above.. except the bit boys of course. ;) ATi and Nvidia have a stranglehold on the mid to high end graphics market, more so then ever. Intel doesn't have to pay for its chipset licensing so it makes it even more simple for them to dominate the integrated graphics market. If Intel were too make its chipset licensing easier they would have considerably greater difficulty making the inroads they do in their own chipset market. It would take at this point one hell of an effort for anyone new to break into the graphics market. It isn't the same as it was only 5 years ago. Now it seems the market has matured, from the above listed companies I would expect to see failures to become one of the top three graphics companies possibly even an exodus from the graphics market all together. This basically means that nvidia is virtually guaranteed at least third rate standing same goes with ATi. Intel has the potential to do most damage to ether ATi or Nvidia. With that said, I would love to see ether ATi or Nvidia displace Intel as number one. That might come to be with the introduction of Long-horn and its 3D GUI but it isn't likely.

Back