NVIDIA may announce NV 40 tomorrow

Any idea if it will be what Nvidia needs to get back in the game or will it be an NV30 with updated technology? Anything significantly new in there that might possibly lead to it being a stronger performer than R420?

they can of course safely announce the existence of NV40 :LOL: , I don't think it'll be even a paper launce anyway.

Ya I think NV40 is too far away for it to be announced yet...

I think the original plan was to launch at comdex, but it got pushed back to 2004.

if it is announced which I strongly doubt there won't be a silicon demonstration or you can tickle me pink.

The only reason Nvidia might announce NV40 even thought it won't ship for six months is as a spoiler against ATI products.

It would kill sales of the NV3x high end cards, and kind of admits that Nvidia sales are doing so badly they would rather throw away the small profits from FX5900 in order to try and hurt ATI.

Personally I doubt they'll announce anything that isn't almost ready to ship, given what a fiasco they had at the same time last year with NV30.

AFAIK There is not expected to be any massive announcements at Comdex. They are launching a new mobile part and while I don't have any conformation of what it is, its reasonable to assume that NV36M will be anounced.

Is there any word, if the information at the Inquirer is correct, about the NV36M doubling the number of registers compared to the non-mobile part. And if so, is there any tangible performance benefit?

That would make little sense to double the number of registers for the mobile part and not the desktop as die size (hence heat) is at a premium on the mobile parts. They could double the register space by keeping the registers at FP16 though.

If NV was going to announce anything big, wouldn't you expect some flash animation on their web site, like "are you ready this time? sorry about last time" or "It's Coming...For real this time!" :)

Dave, I understand that it didn't make much sense. And after re-reading the article, HERE, I think he meant to infer the replacement of the FX12 alu's with the mini FP's, and not registers.

DemoCoder said:
If NV was going to announce anything big, wouldn't you expect some flash animation on their web site, like "are you ready this time? sorry about last time" or "It's Coming...For real this time!" :)

LOL nice one DC!!!

DaveBaumann said:
AFAIK There is not expected to be any massive announcements at Comdex. They are launching a new mobile part and while I don't have any conformation of what it is, its reasonable to assume that NV36M will be anounced.

NV36M and NV36-X for COMDEX. Unless NV36-X got delayed, too. ( original plan was a NV34-X, but it was scrapped in the favor of a NV36-X after feedback from some OEMs )
Maybe some NV34-related derivatives, but unlikely. Just like the 5600XT, NV18C, NV34B, and so on: no launch. They just hit the stores, with no precision of WTF they are before. Eh.

NV40 expected to be launched in February.

Rockster: and then that means it's just the NV36, nothing unusual, only the NV30/NV31/NV34 got FX12 ALUs.

---

As others said, original plan was COMDEX. But for multiple reasons, among which a late initial tape-out ( 15-20 days delay compared to plan max though I think ) and a second tape-out ( 175M transistors, first tape-out had 150M ), it got delayed.

I don't think the NV40 is what Dave thinks it is - but I could be wrong, of course :)

Uttar

P.S.: BTW, I suspect NVIDIA might release for-developer NV40 documents at COMDEX, like they did at SIGGRAPH for the NV30 last year. These documents have been in a near-final state for months now, just waiting for a green light when it comes to publishing.

AndrewM said:
Hey Uttar, I thought there wasnt going to be any more rumors, or is this somthing different? :D

No more sources. I'm sitting on more info and "still not interpreted hints and sentences" than you might believe - although I'm running out of them too, lol ;)

And I'm just looking at the boards so much still because I'm interested in the 3DMark03 debacle: Part 3 thing. When I looked at it several days ago, the amount of BS that was being said everywhere regarding the compiler... I just couldn't stand it. Had to correct it myself since nobody seemed to want to...

Plus, I still need to do the GPU:RW 3.0. script. Pretty darn ambitious one at that. If you think GPU:RW 2.0. was nifty, which it wasn't IMO anyway, you ain't seen anything yet.
I won't be administrating GPU:RW 3.0. - Volt will. The idea is a multi-user system though, so there CAN be contributors - evantually people like Fudo should have access to the script and be able to add their own stories. The reliability system is vote-based.

Few coding has been done yet though :p

Uttar

DemoCoder said:

Are you ready, for more ? Again...

(Will Smith style in MIIB)

Magic-Sim said:
DemoCoder said:

Are you ready, for more ? Again...

(Will Smith style in MIIB)

Aww, you guys ain't kind!
Stop bashing AYR ( Are You Ready ), damnit! I liked that campaign! Plus, it was pretty darn good, since it managed to trick me into thinking the NV30 was gonna rule ( okay, so that was because I had few clues about GPUs back then - learned a lot since. But eh! )

And the person which worked on the video is a really nice guy, too! I can understand bashing NVIDIA's marketing tactics in general, as well as their corporate culture and management's activities. And taking AYR as an example sounds good too. But bashing it in particuliar is just injustified. Is it really worse than the other things NVIDIA did recently? Not at all, IMO.

Uttar

Back