NVIDIA Kepler speculation thread

Nvidia reportedly working on two new cards

We weren’t expecting this and it is just a rumour, but reports are emerging that Nvidia is readying two new cards for the winter season. AMD of course is launching new cards four weeks from now, so it is possible that Nvidia would try to counter it.

The big question is with what?

VideoCardz claims one of the cards is an Ultra, possibly the GTX Titan Ultra, while the second one is a dual-GPU job, the Geforce GTX 790. The Ultra is supposedly GK110 based, but it has 2880 unlocked CUDA cores, which is a bit more than the 2688 on the Titan.

The GTX 790 is said to feature two GK110 GPUs, but Nvidia will probably have to clip their wings to get a reasonable TDP.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/32360-nvidia-reportedly-working-on-two-new-cards
If Nvidia does release both cards does this pricing seem reasonable:

Titan Ultra replacing the Titan at $999 with the Titan moving down to $899 or maybe $799.

GTX 790 replacing the GTX 690 at $999.

Titan Ultra replacing the Titan at $999 with the Titan moving down to $899 or maybe $799.

It would be strange to have a dual-GK110 card (assuming it is indeed a dual-GK110 card) at the same price point as a single-GK110 card. That is, either it would cost more than $1000, or the Titan Ultra would cost less.

It all depends on how fast and expensive Hawaii ends up, I suppose. And more interestingly for most of us, the GTX 780 could find itself pushed down to an attractive price.

Its possible, but for now i will just take in consideration there's only 1 site who have do this claim / rumors, and its videocardz.com ... ( All article are just pumping their article )

If even Fudzilla cite only this article as source, i have some real doubt about the validity of the story. ( or at least on some parts ). Fudzilla should be the first to know what Nvidia is preparing or at least have this info and so should have start by " some source tell us... "

Still completely possible or at least for one gpu, and could be a logical move. ( even if it will cost them money ( launch a new gpu is not free, and in short timing before they release of next serie )

This price doesn't seem reasonable because many customers are not willing to pay. It is shit pricing anyway, without sufficient changes for better ;)

Fudzilla said:
VideoCardz claims one of the cards is an Ultra, possibly the GTX Titan Ultra, while the second one is a dual-GPU job, the Geforce GTX 790. The Ultra is supposedly GK110 based, but it has 2880 unlocked CUDA cores, which is a bit more than the 2688 on the Titan.
I'd recommend to check the source. VideoCardz doesn't claim, that Nvidia is preparint two $999 models - they expect a GK110-based product or a dual-GPU product. Fudzilla messed the story a bit…

I'd recommend to check the source. VideoCardz doesn't claim, that Nvidia is preparint two $999 models - they expect a GK110-based product or a dual-GPU product. Fudzilla messed the story a bit…

I did check the original story on VideoCardz and even though they and Fudzilla both seem to not quite know what nVidia will be releasing it seems that nVidia will be releasing something(s).

I believe a GTX 790 sporting dual GK110 will be released. And as noted it will have the dual GK110's not fully enabled. They will however have DP FP turned down like the GTX 780.

Since nVidia has fully enabled GK110's available and with the upcoming release from AMD I also expect some kind of response using it.

I guess we will fully know on AMD presentation/release day.

I did check the original story on VideoCardz and even though they and Fudzilla both seem to not quite know what nVidia will be releasing it seems that nVidia will be releasing something(s).

I believe a GTX 790 sporting dual GK110 will be released. And as noted it will have the dual GK110's not fully enabled. They will however have DP FP turned down like the GTX 780.

Since nVidia has fully enabled GK110's available and with the upcoming release from AMD I also expect some kind of response using it.

I guess we will fully know on AMD presentation/release day.

Fud just rearsh the story of videocardz ( as they tell this is their base for the article ) .... Now Fud maybe have some informations they cant reveal right now.

Should be interesting to see how it performs compared to GTX 660Ti - it has only 5 enabled SMX instead of 7, though comes with higher clock so the ALU deficit isn't quite that large. And of course it has 33% more memory bandwidth (and 32 instead of 24 ROPs). Should beat the GTX 660Ti I guess on average slightly (but not quite the card you'd wanted for compute...).

Or GPU-Z says bullshit, it's not meant to give accurate info on unknown cards.

Interestingly this o/c'ed MSI GTX 660 has the very same clocks
http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00135771.html
All cards have various frequency, a Gainward one has 980MHz/1033MHz for the GPU, its "golden sample" version is at 1006/1073.

I'd say the 750ti is simply a revision or renaming of the 660 and this is what we could expect already I guess. Slightly higher reference frequency and that's all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a speculation of mine, or rather something I hope for : displayport on every geforce 7xx card?

It occurred to me it's quite lacking, when a guy on a forum asked for a card to drive dual 2560x1440 displays, and there's 4K 60Hz coming too. But not necessarily the need or want for a big card like the GTX 660 and above.
So I pointed him to a Radeon 7730 with dual link DVI + displayport + hdmi, there's such a 6670 too, but nothing on the nvidia side.
So hoping nvidia launches at least GK208, maybe GK107 as geforce 7xx with a displayport as standard. That's what would make a cheap card worth buying nowadays.

GTX 780i: 1920SPs@1033/1150MHz + 384-bit@6Gbps?

R9 290 counter or 560Ti 448 style card, to get rid off <12SM GK110 chips?
Seems like a card to fit in the gap between the 770 and 780, judging by the amount of cores and the clock rate it will likely fall ~5% short of the 780 but it will not overclock as well.

770Ti?

Nvidia might reposition the 770 @ $299, the 770Ti @ $399, the 780 @ $499, a 3GB Titan(780Ti,785?) @ $599 and a Titan Ultra 6GB @ $999.

The competition is about to get exciting. :devilish:

GTX 780i: 1920SPs@1033/1150MHz + 384-bit@6Gbps?

R9 290 counter or 560Ti 448 style card, to get rid off <12SM GK110 chips?
I'm guessing more the latter than the former, but maybe it'll also compete with the 290.

I find it curious that they are keeping the same bus width and memory speed as the 780 and Titan. That would make three high-end chips with the same bandwidth, which to my knowledge hasn't happened in any previous generation up to and including G80 at least. Maybe they want at least ~288 GB/s bandwidth in these products.

Also they say
eNet (Google Translated) said:
This mysterious rumors of the specific model graphics GTX 780i, codenamed GK114, the following positions are GTX 680 770 vest to account.
That would explain the high clock speeds although I don't doubt that GK110 with the 10 highest clocking SMXes enabled might also be able to reach > 1 GHz core clock depending on the TDP. The 780i's (SP) FLOPS is only a hair lower than the 780's (3967 vs. 3976, 0.25% difference!) and the boost FLOPS is actually higher (4416 vs. 4156). [EDIT: It also has almost identical texture fillrate and 20% higher pixel fillrate than the 780.] So looking at Wynix's lineup, maybe the 780 will be obsoleted by or replaced entirely by this 780i ("770 Ti") and a Titan-like "780 Ti"….

maybe the 780 will be obsoleted by or replaced entirely by this 780i ("770 Ti") and a Titan-like "780 Ti"….
I was thinking that was also a possibility but i tried to be optimistic.
Let me try to spin this more optimistically;

770 @ $299 > 770 Ti(780i) @ $399 > 780 Ti(780 "Ghz edition") @ $499 > 785(3GB Titan) $599/$649 > Titan Ultra 6GB @ $999

If Nvidia do something like this i bet we will see a cut down 290 to fit in between the 280X and the 290(pro), perhaps called 285X or 290S.

Back