Nvidia is considering to move headquarters to San Jose

Brimstone

B3D Shockwave Rider
Veteran
The Sobrato Office Tower is currently vaccant, and by itself accounts for 4.7% of downtown San Jose vacancy rate.

437650.jpg

437652.jpg

Here is a little from the San Jose Mercury article. Read the full story at the link.

If the chip maker is looking for a downtown high-rise for its headquarters, the 380,000-square-foot Sobrato building is the only game in town.

Sobrato planned it that way when he broke ground on the 17-story tower in 2000, just as the torrid commercial real estate market had hit its peak. And he remains determined to wait for a single tenant to take the entire building. He said the 7-million-square-foot downtown office market with its 22 percent vacancy rate already has plenty of smaller spaces, including the 60,000 square feet recently vacated by Knight Ridder.

Other large spaces on the scale of the tower on Almaden Boulevard, however, do not exist in downtown San Jose.

``It's been four years since we built that thing. Our timing was awful in early 2001 -- that's when the Internet bubble burst,'' he said. ``That's been part of our problem. And it's an expensive building, but we've been willing to be aggressive on rents.''

Once the building is leased, San Jose's downtown office vacancy would drop from 22 percent to about 15 percent, according to Ritchie Commercial. The city would gain about 1,100 employees.

``We would get a whole lot of people in that building and on the street thinking about downtown housing, and we would get retail patrons,'' she said. ``This would make downtown hum and attract other additions to our daytime and nighttime pop.''

If the deal falls through, Sobrato said he will sit tight. He has resisted so far, plus he can afford to hold out, since his company built the $100 million glass-and-granite structure with its own cash.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/breaking_news/15422015.htm

Hi res links

http://www.emporis.com/files/transfer/sixwm/2006/02/437650.jpg

http://www.emporis.com/files/transfer/sixwm/2006/02/437652.jpg

As a native (who hasn't lived there in 25 years) I resent that! :LOL:

It was much prettier in the 60's. :p
Sorry Geo, didn't mean to be offensive.
I've been over there a couple of times and even though I liked San Jose's (small) downtown, the rest was quite 'depressing'.
For what is worth while I was there I fell in love with San Francisco..amazing city

The amazing thing about California is that it is practically paved over and bumper to bumper for great swaths along the coast, and from San Francisco to above Sacramento (northeast towards Reno, Nevada). But there are still huge chunks elsewhere where you can drive for hours and think "okay, there are 30M people here? Where?!"

San Jose was never going to be all it could be with San Francisco right there. Facts of life.

I read recently that Intel's graphics team (I think it was in the Takahashi piece) is based in Folsom, right next to my other old California home, Sacramento. I know some guys who worked for Intel in Folsom, but I doubt any of them have an "in" to the graphics guys, alas.

It looks like a nice, big building, though I'm interested to see what it looks like on the inside, as well. :smile:

Also, if nVidia's current campus is 500,000 square foot (according to the article), then this new building, at 380,000 is much smaller. Obviously they'll still ocupy the current HQ at SC, but what will be the likely differences between the two quarters?

Thanks

Considering a move, but do they know the way?

I think the Sobrato building is pretty, I like the colour scheme. :)

It's impressive - reminds me of the blocks going up in China right now. Kinda chunky.

Was just looking at the Sobrato site... nV's current HQ (also part of their commercial portfolio) is a bit more inspiring IMHO. Plus it's bigger in terms of floor space.

All these years later, and I *still* want to know what the hell Johnny Cash was doing in Folsom (California state) prison for killing a man in Reno (Nevada). :LOL:
I know he played in Old Folsom, but I'm not sure that he ever did time there. Metallica played at San Quentin also......I missed both shows:devilish:

I know he played in Old Folsom, but I'm not sure that he ever did time there. Metallica played at San Quentin also......I missed both shows:devilish:

Oh, no, he didn't. But he did write the song "Folsom Prison Blues", of course.

"But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die
now every time I hear that whistle, I hang my head and cry. . ."

Back