NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

What are the cats specifications?

They usually are quite fast but notouriously random in performance. Quite buggy drivers brobably. They dont do tesselation but have the best physics api on the market. They are not very compatible with mice btw, any other game controller will work better.

They usually are quite fast but notouriously random in performance. Quite buggy drivers brobably. They dont do tesselation but have the best physics api on the market. They are not very compatible with mice btw, any other game controller will work better.

You forgot them being power viruses, with all that fur and all! :devilish:

@Mr CarstenS

Thanks for the tip about the cooler good sir.:D

Damn, I really thought they would not do this. Is it possible that GTX480s and GTX470s for sale currently are from the same wafers, just different bins?
No.

GF100B/GF110 definitely has GF104-style TMUs, GF100 doesn't. And had there been any chips of this quality on GF100 wafers, you bet Nvidia would have released them at a time where it would have allowed them to demand higher prices to increase margins.

Only through their paw pads, I believe, just like dogs. Apart from horses and humans, very few animals sweat, as far as I know.

Dogs can "sweat" through their tongue, too (afaik it's their primary "cooling method")

I wonder if the 570 or some 570 models at least, will be able to unlock Cores (+TMUS ?) like the 465 could.

I guess the ROPS and bus cannot be altered since they are hardwired with the memory chips (I think) but what about the cores and tmus?

Last edited by a moderator:
No.

GF100B/GF110 definitely has GF104-style TMUs, GF100 doesn't. And had there been any chips of this quality on GF100 wafers, you bet Nvidia would have released them at a time where it would have allowed them to demand higher prices to increase margins.
GF100 is the only Fermi-architecture based GPU without full-speed FP16 filtering support. Given the fact, that GF110 (or GF100b) isn't larger than GF100, there is a possibility of full-speed FP16 support in GF100, which was disabled for some reasons (e.g. hardware bug, power consumption, etc.) and fixed/enabled in GF100B/GF110.

I remember, that a guy working in one of the largest local computer stores mentioned, that many new GTX470 boards have lower power consumption. It doesn't prove, that they are based on GF100B/GF110-based (maybe nVidia stopped production of GTX480 and used the premium SKUs for GTX470), but it can't be disproved by saying, that GF110 supportst FS FP16, also.

@Mr CarstenS
Thanks for the tip about the cooler good sir.:D
Tip? What tip? I didn't say anything. :)

No, since it actually has been mentioned in one of the links I gave as early as second week of november and I haven't had time to follow all the rumor/speculation/conspiration threads very closely as of late, I thought, this might be already old news.

GF100 is the only Fermi-architecture based GPU without full-speed FP16 filtering support. Given the fact, that GF110 (or GF100b) isn't larger than GF100, there is a possibility of full-speed FP16 support in GF100, which was disabled for some reasons (e.g. hardware bug, power consumption, etc.) and fixed/enabled in GF100B/GF110.

I remember, that a guy working in one of the largest local computer stores mentioned, that many new GTX470 boards have lower power consumption. It doesn't prove, that they are based on GF100B/GF110-based (maybe nVidia stopped production of GTX480 and used the premium SKUs for GTX470), but it can't be disproved by saying, that GF110 supportst FS FP16, also.

Do we know if the quadro Gf100s support FS FP16?

The package?

Nvidia told me in the aftermath of TGX580's launch that the new cooler is in fact cheaper to produce than the GTX480 cooler. If it would also be cheaper than GTX470's cooler, it'd make only sense to include it in GTX 570, wouldn't it?

I think there won't be much change, card wise, between the 580 and 570.

Is this a fact? :?:

Given that
1. Those chips (GF100/104) should usually be identical on the 'core' part.
2. Don't forget a few reviewers is quoting GF110 with a handful millions of transistors short.
3. There were rumors of working GF100B around the same time GF104 taped out and the fact that early GF100 chips were reportedly not working at all

I'd say chances are full-speed was present and disabled in GF100 the same way AMD crippled R600 (then later fixed in RV670 with many other tweaks of course).

If they were to release the proper GF100B in the first place, not only did they have to release it with GF104, they also would have no new stuff coming out now. And since 580 still is a humongous chip with a power-hunger as oppose to the cooler and greener image NV tries to imply, I'd say it's a very very smart move (much like R600-RV670 as well)

Back