NVIDIA Game Works, good or bad?

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by Kaotik, Dec 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. DavidGraham

Veteran

I am not sure, do you have a source for that?

This classification only deals with technologies locked to specific hardware, Neither TressFX or GameWorks are locked in this way.

I stand corrected, 2 games it is.

2. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles/matroxparhelia512/

They at least mention it, there was iirc more about it when it was still relevant
    (and for truform being n-patches, it was even called that in some games (I think one was neverwinter nights))

Lightman likes this.
  3. pharma

Veteran Regular

4. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Non sequitur. A: AMD has no VR to push. Yeah, they've been talking about it, but it's just talk, and you, I and everybody else knows it. At this stage it's doubtful the company will still even be around by the time VR catches on in the mainstream (assuming it ever does, that is.) B: there's been no talk at all of any AMD-proprietary VR.

So not the same thing, at all.

5. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Contrary to what you claim, LiquidVR SDK is available, AMD has just as much VR to talk about as NVIDIA does with their VR Direct. At least Oculus has also used AMD hardware on several occasions, not just NVIDIA
    I can't find the link right now, but IIRC around the time LiquidVR was relesed some Oculus employee said he's much more impressed with the stuff AMD has made available to them right now, compared to what NVIDIA is offering

6. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

So where is AMD's proprietary VR then? Where can I buy it? Where are the games that support it?

Oh. Nowhere, you say? Well, okay then! ;)

7. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Same goes for NVIDIA :lol:

8. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Well, I didn't say anything about NV VR, so not sure what you're laughing about? :p

9. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Not sure myself either, got few drinks on me though. I suppose I was assuming it was the usual comparison to NVIDIA, which has also been vocal about their VR support

10. Davros

Legend

Originally open v1.0 + 2.0, Then locked to Creative hardware. Now opened to run on all CPUs using the OpenAL initiative

11. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Nah, I'm against all kinds of artificial divisions in the marketplace, including platform exclusives and so on. Like, if Oculus is going to release games that only work with their 3D glasses, I won't be buying their product. Proprietary software puts the normal mechanisms of market competition out of order; you no longer compete with the product you have, but rather the size of your pocketbook, by buying additional mercenary support for your product.

I think it's crap, for that reason and also, what if my Oculus goggles break, and next time I desire a different brand of goggles because they're better? I'm just going to give up part of my software library as well then?

Proprietaryness almost always ends up holding the market back. 3dfx did that for several years, but the company went down the shitter because of their own incompetence, so that's OK. MS has successfully held the market back numerous times for many years each time - browser wars is just one such example. But we're going a bit off-topic here, so I'll wind this post down now... ;)

12. pharma

Veteran Regular

13. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

I thought the only extensions that were made public with OpenAL were the ones up to EAX 4.0, and EAX 5.0 died a bastard's death.

BRiT likes this.
  14. firstminion

Newcomer

How can someone read this next post and not see it as harmful behavior by Nvidia?

Crysis 2 tessellation was on USELESS objects, according to reports http://techreport.com/review/21404/crysis-2-tessellation-too-much-of-a-good-thing/2

15. Razor1

Veteran

I don't care what articles say what, unless you have tried to develop an application or game with Cry Engine 1, 2 or 3 you don't really know what the limitations of said engine are. I can go into a slew of limitations which will force a developer to make design decisions which would actually limit the way the artwork was created. Repectfully the article you have linked to, they are very good peeps and know graphics cards well, but as above without really understanding the engine and how that differs from what is being rendered and how its being rendered it falls short.

16. ToTTenTranz

Yes, because obviously CryTek needed to make a concrete slab like this:

[​IMG]

And whoever says otherwise doesn't really know what the limitations of said engine are.

firstminion likes this.
  17. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

I'm pretty sure that no version of CryEngine forces you to use thousands of triangles for utterly flat surfaces.

18. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

I don't see what this has to do with GameWorks, unless it has a 'tessellated rock' component that I'm unaware of.

pharma and RecessionCone like this.
  19. ToTTenTranz

It has to do with this post and this one.
    Context is important.

20. Razor1

Veteran

Crysis 2 was never part of gameworks, gameworks wasn't even around then. Crytek made the tesselation code they didn't use any premade code from nV ;)

And so what is this about again? If you only look at one or two objects that doesn't do anything. Unless your saying that one object is enough to crush AMD performance!

The engine doesn't force anything, but with default settings if a dev doesn't change the tessellation factors in the ini or cfg files, it will stay the same. Blaming this on nV is stupid for Huddy has nothing else he can do but point at nV because if he points at Crytek, you think Crytek will work well with AMD again?

http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDOC2/Tessellation+and+Displacement

Tessellation even in Cry Engine 3 has limited factors but at each factor it is clearly visible that the highest setting looks better. You can also have different types of tessellation for even more detail, and tessellate shadows as well for increased realism, don't know how beneficial that would be in gaming but the feature is there.

Now the way the hull shader works, is it only gets data at certain times, so if there is one object or many objects being tessellated it won't really matter, but what matters is how much procedural geometry is created. In AMD's case it will stall the pipeline and this will also cause the shader array more pressure if complex shaders are being used at the same time.

#440 Razor1, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    fellix and pharma like this.