NVIDIA Fermi: Architecture discussion

They got pics man..
20 more days, one more card? At that pace, they'll be ready for launch in no time.
Nice, they got a Corsair H520 in there :D
You can tell? If so, that's amazing news as far as Fermi power consumption goes...

[strike]There's something strange going on with that DVI connector, though. Somehow, it doesn't seem properly aligned and the second card doesn't have one.[/strike]

Last edited by a moderator:
A chip with 3.2 billion transistors has 7.2 billion vias, a number "which exceeds the world population." He called on the IEDM audience, and Nvidia's main foundry vendor Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. Ltd. (TSMC, Hsinchu, Taiwan), to deliver one defect per part per billion (1 DPPB). "We have to make all the vias work; it has to be defect-free."
More...

"We've seen the same problem on the upper metal levels on the ATI chips we've studied. It creates a reliability failure mode."
Nice. He doesn't explain why we are more immune to the issues though... :cool:

Hmmm, that's a big improvement over GT200 density if those numbers are accurate. Probably just due to the bigger caches though.

Hmmm, that's a big improvement over GT200 density if those numbers are accurate. Probably just due to the bigger caches though.
I doubt -- Cypress is still well ahead regarding the register file size compared to Fermi, and that counts too as a dense structure category, along the SRAM arrays for the various caches and buffers.

True, and a 3.2 billion tranny Fermi at 400mm^2 would skip ahead of Cypress by a fair margin on the density front. But that 400mm^2 could easily be closer to 450mm^2 depending on how loose they were with the dimensions.

Chen said power became a big issue, particularly at the 90 nm node "when power consumption went up so fast." Although strained silicon, power rails, sleep modes and multiple threshold voltages have kept Nvidia's 20 × 20 mm die within a ~130 W power envelope,
= G80

G80 is 480mm^2. The paragraph starts with a reference to a 40nm 3.2b transistor chip. Actually re-reading it they could be referring back to G80 with that sentence.

Nice, they got a Corsair H520 in there :D What does his t-shirt say? :???:

Looks similar to my computer. Not surprising though,. Mine was setup specifically to support 3 Way Fermi. No there aren't Fermi's in these pictures. :p

Code:
Intel I7 860
Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer
3 Way SLI capable + small PhysX PPU
8 Gigs DDR 3 1333 ((unimpressive memory types :P))
Silverstone 1.5 Kilowatt PSU
Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate

[IMG]http://chrisray.soterial.com/chrisraymisc/maingear1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://chrisray.soterial.com/chrisraymisc/maingear2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://chrisray.soterial.com/chrisraymisc/maingear3.jpg[/IMG]

Looks similar to my computer. Not surprising though,. Mine was setup specifically to support 3 Way Fermi

Niiiice! So there's an upside to the grief that you have to suffer eh? :D

I installed an H50 and Q9550 a few weeks ago to upgrade my aging P35 setup. Wish I knew that P35 sucked at overclocking quads before that little experiment. Glad to see the H50 going mainstream though - it really is a nice bit of kit.

What do you mean it was setup specifically to support 3-way Fermi? What's different between that and say a 3-way GTX285 setup?

Back