NVIDIA Fermi: Architecture discussion

11.6 fps for a 4,096,000 pixel frame is ~37MP/s. Same goes for 1920x1200 and 1680x1050, with ~35MP/s at 1280x1024.

Some stuff, like shadow maps I presume, is fixed in size regardless of resolution. So in addition to the vertex workload being pretty much static regardless of resolution, some of the pixel rendering passes are, too.

How would you characterise the bottlenecks of these two tests at various resolutions?
Certainly not pixel limited ;) It could be ALU/texture/bandwidth limited. There are experiments you can do to determine which it is.

Certainly not pixel limited ;) It could be ALU/texture/bandwidth limited. There are experiments you can do to determine which it is.
I said "pixel limited" to imply "ALU/texture/bandwidth/colour-rate/z-rate limited during pixel shading", specifically not saying "fillrate limited" as that's too specific. It's hard to split them out without having the hardware and software to hand.

Jawed

I'm puzzled why HD5870 is so poor at lower resolutions, to be honest. Something in VS/GS is killing ATI it seems. Or could it be Z rate for high resolution shadow maps?

Jawed

Ran another set of DoW numbers using a lower baseline. No matter what I do I can't get anything to stand out on its own. Looks pretty balanced.

dawnofwariiperformance.png

Those numbers seem to make more sense. You should add shader/memory for completeness!

How much is your CPU affecting things?

Jawed

May be you should look at the "nv shows sign of strain" thread. :LOL:

The losses were real [O($100M) for 2-3 (4?) quarters], although nowhere near what amd's cpu division managed to achieve.

2 quarters IIRC and they were related to the fact that they had to pay more money to cover the mobile chip failures. If it wasn't for that, they would have reported profits, during those two quarters.

No chance that a card that is very likely to be less powerful than a GTX285 (less TMUs - 64 vs 80, less ROPs - 24 vs 32, less bandwidth or maybe almost on par, counterbalanced by only 16 cores more, which maybe on a one vs one comparison are even less powerful than the ones in GT200, due to the "FMA thing") will rival the HD5850.

That was my own speculation, without architectural differences that may improve performance. It may in fact have the same or more TMUs and the same ROPs, than the GTX 285, plus the extra shader power.

Could... you.. please.. use.. multiple quote .. instead of quadruplepost?

Btw, I can now officially buy both 5870 and 5970 in the Netherlands.. the 5970 hasn't even been out of stock in some stores since last week!

Btw, I can now officially buy both 5870 and 5970 in the Netherlands.. the 5970 hasn't even been out of stock in some stores since last week!
Bomba sales confirmed.

2 quarters IIRC and they were related to the fact that they had to pay more money to cover the mobile chip failures. If it wasn't for that, they would have reported profits, during those two quarters.

The mobile chip charges were $200M. The total losses are more than that amount.

He didn't say fillrate limited. He said pixel limited. Pixels need BW, math, filtered fetches, etc.

If you're not pixel limited, you have substantial parts of frame time devoted to setup or other geometry pipeline limits, vertex shading (unlikely for unified archs), CPU, or PCIe transfer. If a program doesn't scale shadow or reflection maps with resolution, then those don't scale with pixel count either.

The mobile chip charges were $200M. The total losses are more than that amount.

That's what NVIDIA estimated initially, but that's not what they had to pay as a whole. In one quarter, after the problem was found they paid less than those $200 million and then in the following quarters (IIRC the next two) payed a few million more. As a whole they paid over $300 million for that. Check the quarterly results and you'll see what I mean.

Heh, well they would be quotes from several different pages and I'm on a lazy day :)

neliz said:

I see the HD 5870 in stock in one or two stores here. The HD 5970 is nowhere to be found. HD 4800s/GTX 200s are MIA and the HD 5700s are the only ones from the new series that I can find without problems.

Back