NVIDIA discussion [2024]

"the more you clickbait the more clicks you get - Steve Burke aka GN" - Reddit User

Yeah some pretty low brow clickbait stuff there from Steve. Boohoo Nvidia didn’t talk about games at a conference totally focused on AI. There’s Siggraph and Gamescom for gaming announcements.

NVDA is becoming a near memestock at this point. There's at least fundamentals underneath, so not like a true memestock, but if it can jump to like 4-5x its current value after a 10:1 split, then clearly the main driving force is simply irrational FOMO.

Would be way worse than even the Tesla situation.
There are some fundamentals yes, but even then the current valuation seems to be more sentiment driven than anything. Analysts are giving price targets and buy ratings by estimating continued earnings growth in perpetuity which is very unlikely to happen. The AI boom will go bust at some point and/or competition will take away some of the marketshare. If Nvidia can make almost a 100% margin, there is enough incentive and a large enough market for other players to try and get a piece of it. Aside from AMD, Intel, and the likes of Cerebras, Graphcore, etc, you also have the major players like MS, Google, AWS, Apple, Meta who have or are developing their own chips as well. So the party will not go on indefinitely. I think 2026 is going to be an inflection point.

GN is not the only one:

And then everybody wonders why so many posters on the interwebs are suddenly saying that Nvidia is done with gaming.

That's why.
I'm not sure why people expected consumer GPU stuff, the last few gaming release events have all been around August/September every 2 years. I could very well be forgetting things they've done but their big "gamer" focused events have been consistent for a while

And then everybody wonders why so many posters on the interwebs are suddenly saying that Nvidia is done with gaming.

That's why.
I don't like the "hides gaming" title, but did GN or HUB actually say or imply in their videos that Nvidia is done with gaming or does the viewer need to make an extra jump to land to that conclusion from their Computex commentary?

I think it's fair for them to say that for gamers the Computex keynote didn't have anything to offer if that's how they see it. Should they just tiptoe around the matter so as not the be misinterpreted by media illiterate people?

But obviously if they are spreading misinformation about Nvidia being done with gaming then that's objectionable.

They could just not make any videos. Dont forget this Gamersnexus guy was against DLSS. So it doesnt matter what nVidia is doing for gamers these people will always hate and create clickbait videos.

How many GeForce cards or consumer GPU architectures were announced at Computex before? I personally can’t remember any. These tech YouTubers should know. If it’s simply not common for Nvidia to announce new GeForces at Computex, why should it be different this time?

To me it’s just a no news and these YouTubers are simply trying to make something out of nothing.

I mean, this is just as absurd as if someone made a video saying “is Apple quitting laptop market?” simply because Apple didn’t announce anything at Computex this year.

I don't like the "hides gaming" title, but did GN or HUB actually say or imply in their videos that Nvidia is done with gaming or does the viewer need to make an extra jump to land to that conclusion from their Computex commentary?
Well, I don't watch HUB Steve's ramblings anymore so can't tell you that but GN Steve said that there were no gaming announcements as if it means something for a show where Nvidia hasn't promised any gaming announcements to begin with - and then there was G-Assist which actually was a gaming related announcement so even that isn't really accurate.
The point though is that "techtubers" are feeding into the general misinformation instead of debunking it as it gives them clicks and views, and that's a problem.

Well, I don't watch HUB Steve's ramblings
In that case I don't understand why you so confidently claim it's because of HUB's coverage that people are saying "Nvidia is done with gaming".

Watching the outro of the video, they say 50 series annoucement is a "fairly large announcement, if they were going to bury that into a 2 hour conversation that was 99% datacenter and AI products... Not ideal. So they'll give that it's own spotlight closer to when those parts are available."

How many GeForce cards or consumer GPU architectures were announced at Computex before? I personally can’t remember any. These tech YouTubers should know. If it’s simply not common for Nvidia to announce new GeForces at Computex, why should it be different this time?
They clearly expressed disappointment that no new Geforce hardware was announced at Computex and not that gaming altogether was absent in the keynote? If that's the case then that's pretty dumb.

Gaming was not absent in Computex 2023 keynote btw. ACE, laptops, 4060 Ti were shown off. So gaming got reduced visibility in this year's keynote and if they are merely pointing that out, then I think that's fair enough.

I mean, this is just as absurd as if someone made a video saying “is Apple quitting laptop market?” simply because Apple didn’t announce anything at Computex this year.
Would be lovely if you could provide a timestamp for their Computex videos where they flirt with the idea of Nvidia retiring from the gaming market. Just so I know who's the one trying to make something out of nothing.
❤️

Here's timestamp to them saying "Absolutely did not expect any RTX 5080, 5090 stuff to be announced":

GN Steve said that there were no gaming announcements as if it means something for a show where Nvidia hasn't promised any gaming announcements to begin with - and then there was G-Assist which actually was a gaming related announcement so even that isn't really accurate.
I watched the GN Nvidia Computex video and GN Steve is clearly talking about the 2h keynote presentation in which case his claim is very accurate as it did not feature G-Assist or other gaming related announcements.

But maybe you aren't spreading misinformation about GN and somewhere else Steve says there were no gaming announcements in any of their Computex PR?

Because that's what has been written on their video thumbnails for months now.
To find a thumbnail that could play into the narrative of Nvidia retiring from gaming business I had to browse back more than 12 months, it's their Computex 2023 commentary:

Screenshot 2024-06-07 at 14-59-50 Hardware Unboxed.png

It's a bad clickbaity thumbnail. The content of the video is about rising GPU prices and too much focus on AI from a gamer's perspective though, not flirting with the silly idea of Nvidia is exiting gaming business.

These kinds of hyperbolic headlines and video thumbnails do do a disservice to accurately informing the viewers and deserve to be called out.

This was the only thumbnail I could find that says anything that might be misinterpreted as suggesting Nvidia is done with gaming. You used a plural (thumbnails), so can you point to the others?

It's a bad clickbaity thumbnail.
Which is all what some people see.

But maybe you aren't spreading misinformation about GN and somewhere else Steve says there were no gaming announcements in any of their Computex PR?
Maybe you're not listening to what I'm saying? Who's fault is it that they've pushed out a video based on keynote and failed to look at the press releases which were made public during this keynote? The takes which are made by techtubers without research are those which "spread misinformation", and since I'm not one I certainly can't spread anything about them - aside from the fact that HUB has become so awful in its takes and misinformation that I've stopped watching it completely (thankfully they've moved monitor reviews to a separate channel).

This was the only thumbnail I could find that says anything that might be misinterpreted as suggesting Nvidia is done with gaming. You used a plural (thumbnails), so can you point to the others?
Aside from the fact that this is the second one? And that they have three part monthly QA videos discussing this stuff? And that I'm not talking about HUB specifically but all techtubers?

GN has made three videos like these in the last two months alone:

The second one was especially funny to watch - apparently its bad when some company's products are in high demand.

Last edited:
Aside from the fact that this is the second one?
I've only ever seen one. I don't think the other one you claim exists substantiates your original claim, but do surprise me please.

And that they have three part monthly QA videos discussing this stuff?
How is this relevant? In those videos they say Nvidia is done with gaming? Or what?

And that I'm not talking about HUB specifically but all techtubers?
Moving the goalposts now are we? We were clearly talking about HUB specifically when you brought up thumbnails, lol...

For the record:

You: "I don't watch HUB Steve's ramblings"
Me: "Then how do you know it's because of HUB's coverage that people think dumb shit"
You: "Because of their thumbnails"

GN has made three videos like these in the last two months alone:
None of these GN thumbnails even remotely suggest that Nvidia is done with gaming though. So what are you trying to say here with these?

Just as a reminder, this was the claim that I wanted to test and which you've failed to substantiate:

That's why.

June 7, 2024
The latest GPU AIB market share report from JPR is in and NVIDIA now dominates AMD & Intel with an 88% market share while increasing shipments.

In the latest AIB report from Jon Peddie Research, it looks like NVIDIA is the clear winner at the start of 2024. Overall, the AIB market declined with AIB shipments decreasing by 7.9% versus the previous quarter while increasing by 39.2% from the previous year. The total number of AIBs shipped during the quarter was 8.7 million units, down from 9.5 million units shipped during Q4 2023.

Despite the quarterly decline, it looks like NVIDIA managed to not only increase its market share in the AIB (Discrete GPUs) segment but also managed to ship more units. The company saw a 0.9% increase in shipments versus the previous quarter and a 45.6% increase from the previous year. This has led to NVIDIA retaining a dominant position with a market share of 88%.

unnamed-1.png

Back