Nvidia buys ULI

I wonder why? What does ULI have that nV might be interested in? (and don't tell me it's the southbridge for ATI, that will soon not be needed anymore I think)

Dave Baumann said:
Experienced resource, knowledge, IP, contracts, relationships, etc., etc...

Well sure, but it's not like ULi had any really interesting IP or relationships? They were rather a "small" player AFAIK.

I remember something about them being somehow involved in Ageia, could that be something? Or is my mind playing tricks on me?

So, who's next - AGEIA, ImgTech, or both? *grins*
(and yes, ImgTech is within NVIDIA's budget, and I believe they're considering it might be a great addition; their recent presentations have emphasized the importance of CE in general. Of course, it's also in ATI's budget.).

Uttar

Uttar said:
(and yes, ImgTech is within NVIDIA's budget, and I believe they're considering it might be a great addition; their recent presentations have emphasized the importance of CE in general. Of course, it's also in ATI's budget.).
How much of IMG Tech stock is out and about? Are there a clear controlling majority? In an open bid I can't see them paying less than $300 million, and that's a decent lump of cash to cough up for both companies. Doable, but even considering 'shopping on the open market' tend to drive up the price of what you're looking to buy.

Zaphod said:
How much of IMG Tech stock is out and about?
117 million pounds. That's $207M in USD, so they could expect to be able to buy it at about $250M.
Are there a clear controlling majority?
Nope, not according to the holding reports I've seen, but ofc there could be a lot of 1-2% holders who agree with each other (i.e. practically the same holder).
In an open bid I can't see them paying less than $300 million
Well, as I said above, I think $250M is a perfectly reasonable bid at the current value. Of course, it could increase in the near future...
and that's a decent lump of cash to cough up for both companies
It is, even more so for a company that's right now that even in the black, profit-wise. If you look at NVIDIA and ATI's balance sheets though, it remains quite reasonable: NVIDIA has $750M cash & marketable securities with no debt ($1450M assets, $427M liabilities; you do the math). And ATI has $224M cash and $363M short-term investments (I assume that's $600M compared to NVIDIA's $750M), with $30M long-term debts. $250M out of that, part of which could be in shares(!), feels relatively reasonable to me. Even $300M would be if the share percentage was quite high, although that might please the investors a tad less.

WRT ULi: I feel this text, from a 13th of June 2005 Anandtech article, explains the acquisition strategy nicely:
The saying in Taiwan goes something like this - "There are three Taiwanese chipset manufacturers (ULi, SiS and VIA) and only one of them is making any money - ULi."

ULi's business is profitable because they are only providing South Bridges and as such, they can piggy-back off of ATI's marketing by providing South Bridges to OEMs interested in using ATI's Radeon Xpress 200 chipsets. Unfortunately for ULi, this isn't a very good long-term business plan as there will come a day when ATI's own South Bridges are perfected.

ULi is therefore trying to make their way into the high-end chipset market, but with NVIDIA and Intel as the chief competitors there, it will be an uphill battle. Many manufacturers expressed interest in ULi, but we will have to wait and see to find out if it actually translates into a viable competitor.
Obviously, NVIDIA's goal in this - besides getting a new pool of top-notch engineers - is screwing VIA, SiS and ATI at the same time. VIA and SiS by getting a much better positioning against them in their key markets, and ATI by making sure they don't have access to rescue plans if they fuckup their southbridges once again. This might also force ATI to phase out its original Crossfire chipset faster than expected, preventing them from gaining momentum in the low-end market.

Uttar

Uttar said:
So, who's next - AGEIA, ImgTech, or both? *grins*

Uttar

OT, but I've been flogging AGEIA/Creative. Not from any info, just from the logic of the situation --let's keep it on one board, and keep Creative with a comfortably relevant reason to be around. I also suspect that the CPU and GPU guys would both be happier with Creative having it than each other.

Dave Baumann said:
Experienced resource, knowledge, IP, contracts, relationships, etc., etc...

And yet ATI took a pass. With what reasoning, I wonder? You'd think catching up in chipsets would be high on their agenda, and that looks like chump change.

Let's not come up with funky stuff some trash tabloid site might pick up and write a bunch of bullshit LOL.

There are large semiconductor manufacturers that could have way higher interest in an IP developing company like IMG such as TI or Intel. Given the presupposition that the company would actually consider to be sold. For the moment I haven't seen any signs that would point in that direction, but as with many things you never know because anything has it's price.

geo said:
And yet ATI took a pass. With what reasoning, I wonder? You'd think catching up in chipsets would be high on their agenda, and that looks like chump change.

At least two reasons I can think of that require consideration. First, ATI's head count has increased quite a bit over the last couple of years and their gross margins have tanked as you know. So if there's no immediate accretive effect on earnings (and there likely wouldn't be here), you're looking at a further drain on cash with the acquisition and additional salaries to take on. Furthermore, I've always gotten the impression that ATI was using ULi's core logic expertise on a temporary basis until they had finished assembling a competent team of their own (obviously they've been doing something right since only Intel and Via are allegedly slated to ship more chipsets in 2006). Presumably SB600 was supposed to mark the "we're ready to fly on our own" era. :neutral:

Last edited by a moderator:
ATI doesn't have the same headstart NVidia has when it comes to chipsets. So, it would obviously take a couple of chipsets to get up to par.

The fact that NVidia has acquired ULI may affect the deployment of the Crossfire mobos simply because most (if not all) mobo manufacturers prefer to use the ULI southbridge... (though oddly enough, I've seen a lot of use of the VIA firewire port in non-VIA mobos)..

Some of the comments are interesting.. I think the "degrading" point in one of the responses is related to the ongoing issues that some people have with NVidia mobos.. I think this response could have come from an ATI employee... but perhaps it could be from an Intel employee. He points out the fact that ATI has a deal with Intel (I don't understand why NVidia hasn't had a deal with Intel in the first place, perhaps that has something to do with providing AMD chipsets) and DX9 for NVidia was a crapshoot early on...

I don't see how the acquisition will affect the deployment of any of ULi's products, since they (usually) have contractual obligations to provide product to their customers. Even NVDA's own PR states:

"NVIDIA intends to supply ULi customers with current products for the foreseeable future."

So other than the revenues being recognized by NVDA rather than ULi, not much will change immediately and current SB chipsets should continue to roll out of the fab. But ATI will indeed be on its own from here on in. Great incentive for their core-logic engineers to get it right. :)

I personally think it's more about relationships and having a localized taiwaneese presence than anything having to do with technology.

Uli may be small, but they are gaining ground. Because they have really nice technology, not much groundbreaking but cost effective. And Nvidia dont even have any mobile chipset yet.

The best thing up to this point that has given them a name would be the AGP8x+PCI-E 16X slot design on the same mobo... though it's nothing too special, but nice for those that are still in limbo when it comes to upgrading.

Joe DeFuria said:
I personally think it's more about relationships and having a localized taiwaneese presence than anything having to do with technology.

That's what I thought too. The appointment of ULi's CEO as big boss of Nvidia operations in Asia has got to be good for Nvidia's chipset business over there.

Back