NVIDIA: Beyond G80...

Heh, don't bother guys, only a couple hundred will be made anyway - http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38925

If Nvidia really thinks they can claim the crown with some over the top expensive and unavailable product they must really be deluded. But wait....didn't they do that with the 6800Ultra Extreme and 7800GTX-512? I guess this will just be par for the course then!

Heh, don't bother guys, only a couple hundred will be made anyway - http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38925

If Nvidia really thinks they can claim the crown with some over the top expensive and unavailable product they must really be deluded. But wait....didn't they do that with the 6800Ultra Extreme and 7800GTX-512? I guess this will just be par for the course then!

How do you know the 1GB GDDR4 R600 won't follow the same path ? ;)

GTX @ 500 and Ultra @ 1000 ?
Not much of a difference, because the "price pit" between the top and the step just below it is still huge.

A $400 XT points to aggressive pricing from AMD. Why would they turn around and follow Nvidia to $1000? They can price the XTX at $650 and allow Nvidia their 10 or 12 Ultra sales :)

A $400 XT points to aggressive pricing from AMD. Why would they turn around and follow Nvidia to $1000? They can price the XTX at $650 and allow Nvidia their 10 or 12 Ultra sales :)

But Nvidia is swimming in money that could allow them to engage in a price war.
AMD isn't.

Could be another 7800GTX-512 after all - pushing the process to the limit. If that's what they did I forsee another fiasco.

don't forsee too much, you will be wrong ;)
and you can also forget about $999, another stupid rumor. price will be not so high (like usual a little bit more than 5 big)

AMD isn't.

The reason why AMD isn't swimming in money is because they got into the price war in the first place. If I were Nvidia, I would not rush to follow their example, regardless of how much better their financial position looks at the moment.

AMD isn't.

Well sure but the top-tier is all about prestige. If the rumours thus far are correct the $400 XT will give G80 a run for its money. If Nvidia's only response is a card that's over twice as expensive and 10-15% faster it won't really give them any bragging rights. The Ultra has to come in at $600 for it to be taken seriously IMO.

Well sure but the top-tier is all about prestige. If the rumours thus far are correct the $400 XT will give G80 a run for its money. If Nvidia's only response is a card that's over twice as expensive and 10-15% faster it won't really give them any bragging rights. The Ultra has to come in at $600 for it to be taken seriously IMO.

Of course.
The QuadroFX 4600 shows what's next for the high-end NV desktop GPU market.
A 8800 GTX in the smaller GTS PCB, perhaps with lower power consumption to make it run on a single 6pin PCIe auxiliar power plug (since it's currently in the 170W @ load region, getting it under 150W should not be that difficult if we take in consideration the yield refinements typical of a long running process like the TSMC 90nm one).

Then the Ultra-high-end mounted in the current GTX PCB, and the GTS with the same or even a simpler PCB than the one we have now.

while id have no problem spending 1000 on a video card, it would have to be much more than 15% faster, and no cop out gx2 style boards/waterblocks either.

Nvidia aren't desperate in any way so why would they release something like that ?

IMO, the silly rumours flying around now would actually suggest that they're hiding something.

GTX @ 500 and Ultra @ 1000 ?
Not much of a difference, because the "price pit" between the top and the step just below it is still huge.

Other than the fact that ATI has never done anything? Even the closest ATI analogy the X800 XTPE was still available in some quantity. Unlike both the 6800 Ultra or 7800 GTX 512.

Here's to hoping Nvidia isn't silly enough to price the 8800 Ultra around 1k.

An 8800 Ultra at 1k wouldn't have looked so bad against a HD 2900 XT at 699. However it starts to look a bit more desperate/greedy against a HD 2900 XT at 400. Especially if the sole purpose of a limited supply card is to claim they have the fastest card available.

Just as ATI appears to have learned from the X800 XTPE supply issues, one would hope Nvidia has stopped releasing cards like that purely for marketing reasons. Then again that might be hoping for too much.

Then again if the 8800 Ultra turns out to be a 7950-esque 2 core SLI beastie with 2x8800's that might explain such a high price.

Regards,
SB

Other than the fact that ATI has never done anything? Even the closest ATI analogy the X800 XTPE was still available in some quantity. Unlike both the 6800 Ultra or 7800 GTX 512.
Just as ATI appears to have learned from the X800 XTPE supply issues, one would hope Nvidia has stopped releasing cards like that purely for marketing reasons. Then again that might be hoping for too much.

And this would be...what? I sure hope it's not a tiny-supply-overpriced-limited-eddition kind of thing released for purely marketing reasons! Then again that might be hoping for too much.

And this would be...what? I sure hope it's not a tiny-supply-overpriced-limited-eddition kind of thing released for purely marketing reasons! Then again that might be hoping for too much.

But that one is available.
The thing is, this Ultra even at it's $999 price point has to compete with the XTX at $549.
Even if it's two card style. .it'd better do1920x1080i...

But that one is available.

Not from ATI, anymore:

attachment.php

The thing is, this Ultra even at it's $999 price point has to compete with the XTX at $549.

Just as Uber eddition, at it's $800 prce point had to compete with GTX at $600.

Attachments

• Notinstock.jpg
    Notinstock.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 104
Back