nVidia adopting 3Dc?

digitalwanderer said:
DaveBaumann said:
G7x will support 3Dc.
So G7x=nv50 then?

I wish you better luck than I had trying to get to the bottom of what it is! The best I could do was get to the bottom of what it isn't! :LOL:

Edit: Tho I gotta admit I love that "x" for what it implies. I suspect Baron did as well.

digitalwanderer said:
DaveBaumann said:
G7x will support 3Dc.
So G7x=nv50 then?
Dig, don't be stupid. Dave has repeatedly referred to G70, and now he's referring to G7x, which implies two things.

1. G70 is the next-gen NV enthusiast architecture.
2. G7x is a whole new line of chips--just like NV4x--so we can expect to see new mid-end GPUs, new low-end GPUs maybe, etc. It's a good thing for everybody.

Then again, the X might imply RAMPAGE! or GIGAPIXEL! (it's a joke and if you comment on it, I hope that Dave will break you)

The Baron said:
Dig, don't be stupid. Dave has repeatedly referred to G70, and now he's referring to G7x, which implies two things.

2. G7x is a whole new line of chips--just like NV4x--so we can expect to see new mid-end GPUs, new low-end GPUs maybe, etc. It's a good thing for everybody.

Then again, the X might imply RAMPAGE! or GIGAPIXEL! (it's a joke and if you comment on it, I hope that Dave will break you)
Two words for ya buddy, "DONKEY KONGA"!

digitalwanderer said:
The Baron said:

Two words for ya buddy, "DONKEY KONGA"!
I will destroy you. Like, I'm driving up to Indiana now.

The Baron said:
I will destroy you. Like, I'm driving up to Indiana now.
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

So have we figured out if nVidia's next top-end card will be a single or dual chip solution yet? And how are nVidia's hats?

I doubt it actually. I think you'll also find more implementations are using it in shaders now as well.

The Baron said:
Oh hey, will R520 support DST?

they already do, one way or the other (through pshader comparison). It's just slower.

They could probably expose it in the API as nvidia does also. Maybe they do already (for pixel shader 1.x ?).

LeGreg said:
The Baron said:
Oh hey, will R520 support DST?

they already do, one way or the other (through pshader comparison). It's just slower.

They could probably expose it in the API as nvidia does also. Maybe they do already (for pixel shader 1.x ?).

But they can't use the depth/stencil format as a texture that's what dst is , isn't it? They have to copy depth map to a texture format they can use like r32f , that wouldn't be necessary with dst support. The other thing is pcf which they have to do in the shader.

Doesn't ATI support depth textures already in OpenGL? The format doesn't contain stencil data, though. . .

Ostsol said:
Doesn't ATI support depth textures already in OpenGL? The format doesn't contain stencil data, though. . .

Yes but as far as I know this is not a valid render target at least using pbuffer but since ATI doesn't support fbo yet...

Ratchet said:
geo said:
So are we liking the odds of seeing 3dc in WGF now?
I always thought that was pretty much guaranteed.

Looking back a year, I'm not sure whether to congratulate you for your prescience or roll my eyes at your touching innocence. :LOL:

Back