Software
01. Madden NFL 12 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP)** Electronic Arts
02. Gears of War 3 (360)** Microsoft (Corp) >2 million
03. Dead Island (360, PS3, PC) Deep Silver
04. FIFA Soccer 12 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP, 3DS) Electronic Arts
05. NHL 12 (360, PS3) Electronic Arts
06. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (360, PS3, PC)** Square Enix Inc
07. Resistance 3 (PS3) Sony (Corp)
08. Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (Wii, NDS, 360, 3DS, PS3, PSP, PC) LucasArts
09. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, NDS, Wii, PC)** Activision Blizzard
10. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (360, PS3, PC) THQ

**(includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

Hardware
Xbox 360: 438K (PR) [-9.5%]
Playstation 3: 364K-374K (Calculations deduced from Sony and MS PR percentages)
Nintendo 3DS: 260K (PR)
Wii: 240K (PR) [-5.5%]
Nintendo DS: 145K (PR) [-64%]

From those figures, Sony is the only one uptrading against last year, which I assume highlights that the price reduction is having a positive effect.

Of course the 3DS also had a price cut the previous month, but those still aren't great numbers imho. And while Nintendo were quick to mention that the 260K figure represents a 10% increase on the previous month, with Sept being a 5-week reporting period it actually shows a weekly decline from August.

On a personal note about the 3DS, while I wish it no ill will (and was excited about it pre-launch), the lack of any decent graphical fidelity is only highlighted by the 3D and draws attention to the fact that visually the games on it are about 5 years behind the curve. My few plays on a 3DS have made me realise that glasses-free 3D is great, but you need a powerful enough processor to deliver current-gen quality graphics and, more importantly, decent AA. Without that games just look a mess.

Oh man... I'd love a 360 pricedrop as I have no intention of bringing my NSTC/J unit to the states... but it's gonna be unlikely for this year. Yikes.

You'd almost have expected Sony's sales and that of R3 to be much better though, given the pricecut and bundle.

Agreed on the lack of true fidelity in graphics hampering the 3DS. But even the Vita's games look a bit disappointing- as if it were current-gen console scale-downs instead of games made natively to leverage its strengths (and show less of the polycount limitations, damnit)

Interesting numbers for Dead Island. I was wondering if it was sold out everywhere upon release because they just didn't ship enough units. Looks like they shipped them, and people bought them.

So much for the 'zombies are played out' meme.

Nice numbers for the PS3. For the X360 decent but not spectacular. It's going into the heart of last season's X360 S + Kinect buying frenzy though so I'm interested to see if it can manage any YoY gains this Holiday season. I'm thinking not a good chance that'll happen due to the current economy. Maybe they'll surprise us with a price drop.

COD: BO looks like it's finally getting close to dropping off the charts. Right in time for COD: MW3 to pick up the slack. :p

Dead Island nice. Good to see a zombie action game with RPG elements making the top 3.

And as been the case since launch consumers seem to like the Gears franchise more than the Resistance franchise. Hope we get some numbers soon.

Regards,
SB

You'd almost have expected Sony's sales and that of R3 to be much better though, given the pricecut and bundle.
It was only a $50 price drop, so the increase in sale will be proportional compared to the more usual $100 drop, and that's a non-linear ratio too. So all-in-all, without any new power feature like Kinect to pull in the pundits, I think PS3's doing pretty well on the same legs it launched with.

R3 hasn't sold well compared to R2. 180k units vs 385k first month units of R2. I think R2 did more harm than good to the franchise, and with the proliferation of shooters it just can't compete. I dare say Insomniac were wrong to follow everyone else.

In case you hadn't seen it, this was from Greenberg's twitter yesterday

Nope, hadn't seen that yet. Holy heck over 2 million in 10 days not a bad lead in to the holiday season.

I wonder if Epic will try to continue the franchise perhaps focusing on a different set of characters in a different location of the conflict. Or if they'll decide they are just tired of it and try to see if they can strike gold with a new IP again.

Regards,
SB

Dunno. Gears doesn't really need to continue as a franchise. It just needs to continue in spirit, another Epic shooter in the same vein but branching out. I'm confident that the average Gears fan will be savvy enough to recognise a next-gen Chains of War with completely different story, characters, and environments, will offer them a next-gen experience of Gears.

Sadly that's not how business thinks, and it's quite possible that team will be developing Gears games for the next 15 years even if they're sick of it!

Oh man... I'd love a 360 pricedrop as I have no intention of bringing my NSTC/J unit to the states... but it's gonna be unlikely for this year. Yikes.
If I were the MS marketing folks (which I'm not, this is pure speculation on my part). I would plan a pricedrop for just before black friday. It would have the biggest psychological impact at that point, and could easily nuke the wii during it's traditionally strong holiday season.

Decent numbers all round, except for the 3ds.
Doesnt bode well for the vita, Im still sticking with the theory phones are taking lots of sales from the handhelds. Is it possible to launch vita with some txt'ing ability, i.e. no voice etc calling? Its seems kids use txt'ing more than talking on a phone like 10:1 ratio at least, hell Im the same as well.

Yeah, handhelds are just too small and constrained for AA gaming experience. Angry Birds is the prime example of what kind of experience people look for on a portable device. The very idea is that you game on such gadgets on relatively short occasions like commuting or away from your home like on a vacation. 1-2 hours per session at most. You don't want to play a long game with a strong narrative and the controls don't really allow for complex game mechanics either.

I don't think there's any chance they end Gears with those kinds of numbers.

Probably Gears of War 4 will show up on the Xbox 720 early on. Have to wonder what else Epic is doing right now if not that.

Personally wouldnt mind something different, then again a new coat of paint should revitalize the series.

Out of curiosity I went back and looked and Gears 2 did 1.56 m back in Nov 08. So I dont know, 2m isn't that incredible. Perhaps 25% more, but of course with probably 2x as many 360's in circulation.

Dunno if it's been mentioned also but apparently Resistance 3 did ~180k via Neogaf.

I still think 360 could price cut in Nov (just because Pachter thinks so). Hard to imagine they wouldn't this year. The other thing is as far as I know MS hasn't announced it's fall bundles yet (and hence, hasn't announced their MSRP)? This makes me wonder about a price cut.

Anyone have NPD numbers for the PS2's 6th year to compare to the 360? 5th year PS2 vs. 5th year PS3?

I wonder how this gen's lifespan impacts the designs of the next consoles.

ps2 sep 5th year 270k
ps2 sep 6th year 310k
though you cant really compare them as last gen was only 4-5 years without competition, this gen will last much longer without next gen interference

5 years ago
sep 2006 NPD for ps2+gamecube+xbox+xbox360 = ~600k
now its > 1000k for only 3 consoles

Back