NPD September 2008

Is it the wii console or the software. I'd wager they are making alot more on the software than the hardware. Also both ms and sony have spread out and their consoles bring in moeny other than games and hardware.

Afaik there is plenty of "must haves" that they sell along with the Wii that is still being sold at what must be very profitable prices considering the hardware. They make money on everything :)

Is it the wii console or the software. I'd wager they are making alot more on the software than the hardware.
Given how cheap the hardware is, I bet Nintendo make a fabulous profit. Software probably still earns them more as there's loads of first party stuff, but the hardware takings must be very heart-warming for the board.

In the case of Microsoft and Sony yes. But imagine the amount of cash Nintendo have made, and will continue to make, out of selling the Wii console.

I have a Wii also. I'm just angry with the soccer moms who continue to buy crap like WiiFit in masses so nintendo rather cater to that than give us SMG. I haven't touched the Wii since SMG and frankly I can't see a reason to!

I have a Wii also. I'm just angry with the soccer moms who continue to buy crap like WiiFit in masses
Why? Why is it wrong for someone to buy something she wants to play instead of what you want to play? This is as senseless as a Ferrari enthusiast getting all pissed off as soccer moms who continue to buy stupid ol' minivans instead of hot sports cars.
so nintendo rather cater to that than give us SMG.
But Nintendo did give you Super Mario Galaxy! Besides, Nintendo doesn't give video games. It sells them. There's nothing wrong to selling products to people who want to buy them; it's just good business. People are buying Nintendo's games by the millions. They can't produce them fast enough.

Why? Why is it wrong for someone to buy something she wants to play instead of what you want to play? This is as senseless as a Ferrari enthusiast getting all pissed off as soccer moms who continue to buy stupid ol' minivans instead of hot sports cars.

But Nintendo did give you Super Mario Galaxy! Besides, Nintendo doesn't give video games. It sells them. There's nothing wrong to selling products to people who want to buy them; it's just good business. People are buying Nintendo's games by the millions. They can't produce them fast enough.

That depends. What's your position on people preferring Reality TV over high-budget, scripted series? Or on record studios putting out album after album of pop while more talented bands have to struggle under indie labels (if they have labels at all)?

There's nothing wrong in a purely capitalistic sense, but it's not exactly praise-worthy either. As someone who plays games and has no stock in gaming companies I feel perfectly justified in wanting more SMGs than Wii Fits, though I'm perfectly aware I may not get them.

I have a Wii also. I'm just angry with the soccer moms who continue to buy crap like WiiFit in masses so nintendo rather cater to that than give us SMG. I haven't touched the Wii since SMG and frankly I can't see a reason to!

But Nintendo gave you SMG.

They are also trying to give you Punch Out! give them some credit, their games output is on par with their past and unlike most other 3rd party game devs Capcom seems very interested in supporting the NWii.

So you say that soccer moms continue to buy WiiFit is bad?? please its great for Nintendo for making a killer product.

Also it is the parents who have the buying power, including those "soccer moms" not the kids, I wonder what stereotypical name labels analysts were slapping on parents and moms who bought their kids the Nintendo Action Pack or R.O.B. pack...

On a side note about Wii Fit, I personally go to the gym 5 to 6 times a week and as a male it can be very frustrating to work out and concentrate on what I am doing, so how do you think women feel?

I also actually signed up for a Yoga class months ago, a real one and it is a very frustrating class because although I believe I am focused in doing the proper forms, sometimes I just cannot help but peek at the very attractive woman right next to me or accross the room who is wearing a skin tight outfit that is dripping with sweat.

Its frustrating because its an excercise class, not a place to meet and have sex with women but if you do have conversation you might get "looked at" as some guy is just trying to "get some", so its no wonder why some women will shy away from signing up to a class and instead purchase a Nintendo Wii+WiiFit and its no surprise why health magazines, womens tv talk shows and even women's fashion magazines are reccomending the Wii, the Wii Fit and Nintendo like a they would a diet or a wrinkle clearing cream, or age reversing cleansing treatments.

Still before joining the class I was well aware of the "my husband left me for his yoga instructor" or "my wife left me for her yoga instructor" lines that litter popular tv and movies these days.

Wii like success is not something that XBox 360 or PS3 will ever had, hell its not something that even the PS2 ever had but its going to guarrantee that a game dev can take a risk and sell games with a huge audience and that new game genres or even non-game genres can be marketed for a console that does not even bother to play movies.

That depends. What's your position on people preferring Reality TV over high-budget, scripted series?

I don't care what kind of entertainment people like. I wish rock stations sucked less, but I guess they don't play what I like because most people don't like Megadeth. That made me angry what I was 18, but I'm an adult now. I do not demand that society and the world revolve around my tastes. Funny you brought up music, though--fans of various sub-genres can be just as immature as gamers in shaking furious fists when other people don't get interested in what they like.

As someone who plays games and has no stock in gaming companies I feel perfectly justified in wanting more SMGs than Wii Fits, though I'm perfectly aware I may not get them.

You know, it's fine to want more of what you like (even though Nintendo hasn't produced multiple Mario platformers for a console since the NES days). What's not fine is to get angry at people for not liking what you like. As though moms and young women "ought" to be driving chainsaws into the skulls of the Locust! As though there aren't plenty of shooters being published every year! As though it's a struggle to find a game with elaborate cinematics and blood spattered on the camera!

That's what's really ridiculous about all this. There is no way any of you are able to play every "hardcore" (whatever that means) game that comes out, but you're downright furious that in addition to the mountains of shooters and RPGs, there exist games out there that weren't produced with you in mind.

Part of growing up is also realizing that entertainment changes, and when it does, the old forms get relegated to a niche. It's just part of life--what you liked at one time will not be massively popular in 10 or 20 years. What happened to Western movies? Folk rock? Star Trek? Cinematic gaming had a good run, more than 10 years, but its time will pass, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its frustrating because its an excercise class, not a place to meet and have sex with women but if you do have conversation you might get "looked at" as some guy is just trying to "get some", so its no wonder why some women will shy away from signing up to a class and instead purchase a Nintendo Wii+WiiFit and its no surprise why health magazines, womens tv talk shows and even women's fashion magazines are reccomending the Wii, the Wii Fit and Nintendo like a they would a diet or a wrinkle clearing cream, or age reversing cleansing treatments

So woman buy Wii fit because if they go out and pump iron at a training facility they are gonna be preyed upon by men looking for sex.

Interesting :)

I think its rather obvious that the next Wii wil be HD. Hardware that is as fast as the PS3\X360 (and then some) in 2011-12 will cost about the same to produce as nintendo's manufacturing costs for Wii at launch.

Considering that a very large majority of the TV's in the relevant markets will be HD by then, there is no reason not to make a HD-capable console. Aspecially when the costs doesn't have to be high at all.

I can guarantee this will not happen. PS360 re still very expensive and losing money hand over fist, it's basically 2009. In 2011, Nintendo will not be below 65nm I'd guess. If Sony and Ms are lucky they'll be on 45nm.

Its getting harder to match the previous gen, including PS1 chipset in PS2 was no problem, however including PS2 chipset in PS3 a few years later was a significant cost that had to be removed. PS3 in PS4 will probably be a non starter just due to cost.

Note that John Davison stressed 'by 2011' (also during a podcast) ... He thinks it's quite likely it happens before 2011.

I listen to that podcast..those guys know next to nothing about the industry in general and especially technology..so yeah, it means absolutely nothing (except a wild guess backed by more nothing) coming from him.

I listen to that podcast..those guys know next to nothing about the industry in general and especially technology..so yeah, it means absolutely nothing (except a wild guess backed by more nothing) coming from him.

If you say that, you at least didn't listen to THAT podcast, nor probably read the actual article.

Its getting harder to match the previous gen, including PS1 chipset in PS2 was no problem, however including PS2 chipset in PS3 a few years later was a significant cost that had to be removed. PS3 in PS4 will probably be a non starter just due to cost.

I think the PS4 will include PS3 hardware by design. For example, Cell + a bunch more SPEs and a few of the restrictions loosened would be a good starting point for the PS4 CPU. It would spread the R&D cost of the Cell across two generations. Needless to say, it would also be backwards compatible.

That's the roadmap, anyway:

So woman buy Wii fit because if they go out and pump iron at a training facility they are gonna be preyed upon by men looking for sex.

Interesting :)

No, the women who buy wii fit are the type who would like to go to a gym but are not secure with the way their body looks. I know guys who are intimidated to go the gym, so I can imagine that women in general who tend to be more self conscious than men, would feel feel even more reluctant. I've been lifting weights since I was a teenager, so I've never had that problem :D

No, the women who buy wii fit are the type who would like to go to a gym but are not secure with the way their body looks. I know guys who are intimidated to go the gym, so I can imagine that women in general who tend to be more self conscious than men, would feel feel even more reluctant. I've been lifting weights since I was a teenager, so I've never had that problem :D

Exactly!

No one, specially guys will ever admit to having that problem but they will duck out of going to the gym or to the yoga class or even an aerobics class like myself but only because I was the only male and one of the women decided to start a gender based conversation towards the end of the class and eventually she put me on the spot for a male point of view. I felt embarrassed and nervous since it was my first aerobics class so I said "no comment", in fact it was the only thing I could say because a proper answer would have been imo at least 5 minutes long and other than saying thank you for the class and see you next time, I did not really want to go into a deep conversation with a complete stranger, even one that looked like she did not need to go to a gym but to a modeling agency. However I felt it was pointless to answer because I was the only guy there so she may have been taking advantage of her sexual majority power and I don't need to prove myself to anyone.

Some years ago I became aware that some gyms have special women's only segregated areas, that camera cell phones were banned (gee I wonder why?) and that additional rules pertaining to interruptions were in place where years ago these things were not as common.

Now personally, I am physically fit and considered handsome by most women I meet and walk by but I am not a womanizer, I am just aware that when they are hot, they are but at the same time there are other guys who go and pourposely show off, flex in front of or just start talking to a gym girl/woman who is in the middle of her routine and its apparent that there is an agenda to get her in bed, no matter how nice and innocent the guy may be. Women want it just as bad but some places are just not right for meeting people unless you want a reputation (she is easy), a stalker or a possible date rapist. I did not want to go too much off topic but these are just some of the tip of the iceberg reasons why single women and even soccer moms are buying the Nintendo console and fitness peripheral like hotcakes.

Months ago I mentioned how at my gym there were two women talking about a Nintendo console and game that lets them do excercise, I realized then as a gamer I could have exploited the conversation however I only did small talk because I have a personal rule of "no gym girl chasing" this was weeks before the Wii Fit release and I vaguely remembered the peripheral being in any type of tv commercials or print ads and as I found out it was a the Ellen Degenres show that they were talking about and these girls were no gamers or barely had a clue about passing the first level in Super Mario Brothers.

Now the Wii Fit has proven itself as a "killer app" at it is beyond amusing that traditional gamers feel the need to get angry at Nintendo's out of control (so far...) success in tapping into a whole new and still dormant audience (the giant has not completely woken up)

Maybe I should say this here even though it does not matter but wouldn't it be funny if five years from now we are still seeing the same or higher NPD sales numbers for the Wii, just how many women can buy this console. Of course its not just women but older age groups as well and Sony and Microsoft are beyond green with envy.

Exactly!

No one, specially guys will ever admit to having that problem but they will duck out of going to the gym or to the yoga class or even an aerobics class like myself but only because I was the only male and one of the women decided to start a gender based conversation towards the end of the class and eventually she put me on the spot for a male point of view. I felt embarrassed and nervous since it was my first aerobics class so I said "no comment", in fact it was the only thing I could say because a proper answer would have been imo at least 5 minutes long and other than saying thank you for the class and see you next time, I did not really want to go into a deep conversation with a complete stranger, even one that looked like she did not need to go to a gym but to a modeling agency. However I felt it was pointless to answer because I was the only guy there so she may have been taking advantage of her sexual majority power and I don't need to prove myself to anyone.

Some years ago I became aware that some gyms have special women's only segregated areas, that camera cell phones were banned (gee I wonder why?) and that additional rules pertaining to interruptions were in place where years ago these things were not as common.

Now personally, I am physically fit and considered handsome by most women I meet and walk by but I am not a womanizer, I am just aware that when they are hot, they are but at the same time there are other guys who go and pourposely show off, flex in front of or just start talking to a gym girl/woman who is in the middle of her routine and its apparent that there is an agenda to get her in bed, no matter how nice and innocent the guy may be. Women want it just as bad but some places are just not right for meeting people unless you want a reputation (she is easy), a stalker or a possible date rapist. I did not want to go too much off topic but these are just some of the tip of the iceberg reasons why single women and even soccer moms are buying the Nintendo console and fitness peripheral like hotcakes.

Months ago I mentioned how at my gym there were two women talking about a Nintendo console and game that lets them do excercise, I realized then as a gamer I could have exploited the conversation however I only did small talk because I have a personal rule of "no gym girl chasing" this was weeks before the Wii Fit release and I vaguely remembered the peripheral being in any type of tv commercials or print ads and as I found out it was a the Ellen Degenres show that they were talking about and these girls were no gamers or barely had a clue about passing the first level in Super Mario Brothers.

Now the Wii Fit has proven itself as a "killer app" at it is beyond amusing that traditional gamers feel the need to get angry at Nintendo's out of control (so far...) success in tapping into a whole new and still dormant audience (the giant has not completely woken up)

Maybe I should say this here even though it does not matter but wouldn't it be funny if five years from now we are still seeing the same or higher NPD sales numbers for the Wii, just how many women can buy this console. Of course its not just women but older age groups as well and Sony and Microsoft are beyond green with envy.

In the five years i had serious conversations with the iron and went from nothing on the bench to a 100 i cant really recall any real attempts from guys to pick up girls. Funny enough, the only girl i know that has a Wii Fit doesnt really need it, but she actually does an hour of Yoga(?) every evening, while her boyfriend watches, i dont blame him :)

It seems the discussion of September's NDP figures has dried up. If anyone wishes to pick it up again do so otherwise I'll close the thread in a couple of hours.

It seems the discussion of September's NDP figures has dried up. If anyone wishes to pick it up again do so otherwise I'll close the thread in a couple of hours.
Your comment makes me think about something :LOL:

When did Pure launched exactely?
the game is not in the Top ten while it is impressive and recieved some good reviews not too mention a huge marketing push (at least here in France).
We will see next month but I've no hope, the game had no hype behind him.
I continue to believe that they should have gone with an exclusive for the 360 as the PS3 already will have Motortstorm2.

In the five years i had serious conversations with the iron and went from nothing on the bench to a 100 i cant really recall any real attempts from guys to pick up girls. Funny enough, the only girl i know that has a Wii Fit doesnt really need it, but she actually does an hour of Yoga(?) every evening, while her boyfriend watches, i dont blame him :)

My thing is that I don't stop to talk to anyone because conversations can really distract from the timing between reps and I already spend too much time at the gym. Other guys do engage is apparently friendly dialogue and its only noticed if you happen to see it and not assume that they know each other already unless they are.

The woman who started the conversation in the aerobics class did it even though I had not really uttered a word at all outside of greeting the instructor.

And I am glad to see someone else is noticing the trend too with how the Wii Fit peripheral is helping the Wii console in that new market demographic outside of Japan.

Is the october NPD the last one before NPD stops posting information during the holiday season?

Does somebody has the top 20? May be it is somewhere lower in the chart.
Between lack of split-screen is almost a crime for this kind of game, I didn't know reviewer may have been more vocal about that (I didn't read that many reviews but anyway..).

Back