NPD September 2004

Console hardware is typically sold at a lost for the first few years. Anyone that thinks otherwise, hasn't been paying attention to this market for very long.

Sony reflects R&D costs in all together, with Electronics taking up the biggest chunk, but with Game division R&D and everything else all rolled in. While it's gone up yearly, it tends to keep even percentage-wise to sales (going up just over 1% from 1998 to 2002), and is usually not mentioned specifically in divisional statements but instead addressed on its own elsewhere. For reference:

2002 - 433.2 billion yen
2001 - 416.7 billion
2000 - 394.5 billion
1999 - 375.3 billion
1998 - 318 billion

Also for reference, Game segment R&D went up between 2001 and 2002--from 34.2 to 48.2 billion yen--though they experienced a dramatic income jump (to the tune of 130 billion yen), so if you think R&D is a big factor of the Game segment loss for FY'01 (which encapsulated almost exactly PS2's first year), then...? FY'02 also experienced a notable increase in sales, but was experiencing a tighter margin than in the past five years (excluding the loss in FY'01), showing while they were hitting their stride they were not yet sprinting (and margin-wise, they would go up in 2003 and back down to nearly the same level in 2004--both years showing less sales than 2002.)

Kutaragi couldn't have been talking about "the entire PS2 business" because the costs are simply too hard to track, are spread out over too many years, and are way too complex to speak about quickly in a quick message to investors. If you're talking about the major R&D for EE and GS, those would all have been reflected in the preceeding years, which all posted good profits. FY'01 (and the end of FY'00) were production years--the major EE/GS R&D has been paid in years previous (just like the major CELL R&D has been accounted for in these past years), and the Game segment's R&D has not--in fact--gone down at all from '01 to '02, and doesn't appear to be a huge factor regardless (representing ~5% of the total sales most of the time). Capital Investment (in the physical production structure) typically represents 1-2x that of R&D in specific segment analysis, which again is not immense. (For those who are interested, all Advertising seems to stick close-to or just-under R&D costs across all of Sony, but I can't easily determent segment breakdown.)

Read what Kutaragi said again and keep in mind he is explaining the figures the financial reports represent, which means what is attributed to them for that year. In '01 they said "SCE reported a substantial operating loss for the year. This was due to start-up costs for the PS2 business and additional costs associated with delays in ramping up production of the semiconductors for PS2" (also keep in mind the "cost of the PS2" is the cost it takes to get to the consumer, not just the cost of hardware production) as well as mentioning poorer software sales and some of the typical dollar-to-yen loss. In '02 Kutaragi says specifically "Our success in reducing production costs has enabled PS2 hardware to become profitable in the latter half of the year under review." Every year since they also mention production savings--usually saying it's enough to keep up with price reductions--which is well and good. It shows that the PS2 hardware continues to remain profitable for them despite halving its price at this point from where it began (instead of causing loss for Nintendo currently and causing heavier losses for Microsoft as they drop).

But what were given specific prominence in talking about the specific Game segment loss in '01 and recovery in '02? Start-up costs, covering delays, and the ramping-up of production for PS2's innards... and then reducing production costs the next year. Now while I don't know if "PS2 hardware" also includes peripherals like memory cards, controllers, or whatnot, those are always sold at a profit, so it would only point to heavier costs on the PS2's end itself. "PS2 hardware" addressed specifically. And while that one comment certainly doesn't reflect the whole change--a huge software surge and other factors led to an overall 400 billion yen boost in sales--I can't think of any other real way to read his statement. It's specific in and of itself, and reading the finances removes the other "easy alternative" assumptions.
If there's no profit in selling hardware, how can they get back those capital investment?
Where do you even minimally pull statements like this from when reading my comments? Where have I said the PS2 is not profitable from a hardware perspective? To borrow your own nomenclature, stop looking at it in such a "primitive way." The viability of hardware is measured over its lifespan, not by its first year. The PS2 has pulled a profit and remains profitable in spite of price reductions and is overall very worthwhile. But what else explains explains the Game segment's loss in '01 and climb in '02 but notable production costs? Do you think the PSOne was being sold at a loss instead? The software?

Gord takes an extremely simplistic look at the situation. He bundles the entire situation together from almost three years in (50 million units represents sales up to mid-January 2003) instead of breaking things down by year, he doesn't take a close look at R&D costs nor segment breakdowns, nor does he analyze what his off-the-cuff "Sony is making $120 per system" comment should but doesn't represent when looking at console sales and yearly breakdowns. While he is certainly correct in berating people for believing the "all consoles are sold at a loss" myth and believing the first random number tossed onto the barbie, he doesn't actually LOOK at Sony's financials in a meaningful-enough way.

Sony pulls a profit from PS2 hardware (and will continue to do so, I imagine) and has likely pulled beyond any losses incurred along the way, but the total cost of getting it to the consumer in the first year has to have incurred a loss. HAS TO. Otherwise, how else do you explain the figures for the Game segment specifically in FY'01?

(P.S. I certainly won't vouch for the infallability of the numbers I've quoted, but that's what I pulled from a lot of financial statements--too numerous to list--which can all be accessed from Sony's site. I will certainly re-adjust if some of my examination was wrong, but for now it seemed like a good chunk to absorb. ;) )

cthellis42 said:
Capital Investment (in the physical production structure) typically represents 1-2x that of R&D in specific segment analysis, which again is not immense. (For those who are interested, all Advertising seems to stick close-to or just-under R&D costs across all of Sony, but I can't easily determent segment breakdown.)

Read what Kutaragi said again and keep in mind he is explaining the figures the financial reports represent, which means what is attributed to them for that year.
Don't you forget one big thing? ;) Every year, SCE fabs build new lines in their fabs to proceed to the next stages in process shrink, which are big capital investments and R&D at the same time. It'd be immense enough for that year, considering how many PS2 they produce in a year.
images714170.jpg

Qroach said:
Console hardware is typically sold at a lost for the first few years. Anyone that thinks otherwise, hasn't been paying attention to this market for very long.
Even Nintendo would say big "no" to your assumption for their consoles prior to GC :rolleyes:

Didn't Sony announce within the past year that the new fabs they're building for the Cell would cost over a billion?

To add some figures to my argument, please check out this article in 2000:

http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20000602S0064
As of May 24, Sony Computer Entertainment had sold 2 million Playstation 2 systems in Japan, and the supply remains behind the demand here. Sony will begin overseas marketing on Oct. 26 in the United States, and shortly thereafter in Europe. The company plans to boost monthly production to 1.3 million units this autumn.

Currently, Sony Kokubu is producing the Graphics Synthesizer in a 0.25-micron process at its semiconductor fab in Kagoshima. Oita TS Semiconductor, a joint venture with Toshiba Corp., is fabricating the Emotion Engine, also at 0.25-micron line widths. By summer both devices will be moved to a 0.18-micron process.

Sony has already spent some $1.2 billion to bring up those production lines, and is making a second investment to enable the transition to a 0.18-micron process at three facilities.

About $215 million will go toward expanding the capacity of Fab 1 by 20 percent, to 12,000 eight-inch wafers per month. Roughly $630 million will go into building Fab 2 in Nagasaki, with a monthly capacity of 6,000 eight-inch wafers using an 0.18-micron process.

The remaining $322 million will be used at Oita. That should secure an additional monthly capacity of 5,000 eight-inch wafers. The Oita addition and Fab 2 are both expected to be in operation next April.

Sony plans to establish a total capacity of 18,000 eight-inch wafers per month for the Graphics Synthesizer and 15,000 for the Emotion Engine by June 2001.

The additional investments are "quite a strategic decision for Sony Group," said Kutaragi.

This article covers the earlier plan of SCE to sell EE/GS to the outside of Sony, but as you know this plan basically failed though some may argue. (In PS3, SCE will tackle it with Cell.) SCE has to do those investments every year to catch up with the semiconductor majors. If it stops at somewhere in this non-stop race, it'll slip off immediately.

MS as the Xbox maker and Dell and all other PC vendors, plus buyers of flash memory made in older lines in Intel fabs, all share Intel's investments in R&D and building fab lines, so MS doesn't have to be charged for entire cost of developing Celeron. But there are still middle-men between MS and silicon.

For Nintendo the situation is worse, for NEC had to build dedicated lines for GC which turned out later as underachieved. Nintendo compensates it with huge software profit and strict royalties (and GBA). But true loser is NEC here.

Even Nintendo would say big "no" to your assumption for their consoles prior to GC

Sorry, but you're wrong. How long have you been following this market btw, because I don't think you have a good idea what the margins on consoles have been since the NES era. Like I said, consoles are typically sold at a loss, in favor of the money made back on software. THis includes nintendo with teh nes, snes, and n64.

Qroach said:
Even Nintendo would say big "no" to your assumption for their consoles prior to GC

Sorry, but you're wrong. How long have you been following this market btw, because I don't think you have a good idea what the margins on consoles have been since the NES era. Like I said, consoles are typically sold at a loss, in favor of the money made back on software. THis includes nintendo with teh nes, snes, and n64.

Can you give me what competitors Nintendo had when they released NES/Famicom? What pressure made Nintendo to sell Famicom at a loss? Could they assume they'd be able to offset loss in hardware by selling enough software when they released their first console? :rolleyes: They made Game Watch before Famicom, BTW.

Can you give me what competitors Nintendo had when they released NES/Famicom?

Sega, Atari, NEC.

What pressure made Nintendo to sell Famicom at a loss?

Competition. what else? It was too expensive for the mass market. The margins for stores selling these units were basically non exsistent (in some cases the margin was so small using a credit card could make a store lose money). Nintendo beat out sega in north america, but they didn't in europe.

Could they assume they'd be able to offset loss in hardware by selling enough software when they released their first console?

Of course they could assume that. The business model hasn't changed.

They made Game Watch before Famicom, BTW.
That doesn't have anything to do with this conversation. They were also making atari, colleco, and intellivision games. so what?

Qroach said:
Can you give me what competitors Nintendo had when they released NES/Famicom?

Sega, Atari, NEC.

Nintendo launched Family Computer (Famicom) in 1983 in Japan. When they released it, NEC didn't have a game console (They had PC).

Videogames available in Japan in 1983 (extracted from http://www.gantsu.co.jp/1983b.html ):

Cassette Vision (Epoch-sha): 13,500 yen
Cassette Vision Jr. (Epoch-sha): 9,980 yen
Family Computer/Famicom (Nintendo): 15,000 yen
Arcadia (Emerson Arcadia 2001, sold by Bandai): 9,800 yen
Intellevision (Mattel Intellevision, sold by Bandai): 24,800 yen
Kousokusen (GCE Vectrex, sold by Bandai): 54,800 yen
Pyuuta (Tomy): 59,800 yen
Pyuuta Jr. (Tomy): 19,800 yen
Atari 2800 (Atari): 24,800 yen
SC-3000 (SEGA): 29,800 yen
SC-1000 (SEGA): 15,000 yen
Odyssey2 (Philips Odyssey2, sold by Corton Trading): 29,800 yen
Max Machine (Commodore): 34,800 yen
Game Pasocom M5 (Takara): 49,800 yen
MyVision (Kanto-denshi): 19,800 yen
CreateVision (Cheryco): 54,000 yen
PV2000 (Casio): 29,800 yen
PV1000 (Casio): 14,800 yen

The exchange rate in 1983 was 1 US dollar = 237 yen.
You notice several companies had 2 consoles like Sega SC-3000 and SC-1000. Ones with higher price were more like hobbyist PCs, which had things like a keyboard, BASIC or drawing tool. It was the time of transition from personal computers to dedicated game consoles. But Nintendo was a newcomer, with experience in arcade and Game Watch for consumers. So they designed Famicom from the ground up to provide it with a reasonable price, enabling a user to play games found in arcade.

What pressure made Nintendo to sell Famicom at a loss?

Competition. what else? It was too expensive for the mass market. The margins for stores selling these units were basically non exsistent (in some cases the margin was so small using a credit card could make a store lose money). Nintendo beat out sega in north america, but they didn't in europe.

I asked "why at a loss?". Why couldn't Nintendo produce a console by using cheap parts and by restructuring its business/manufacturing process? I expected some factual source from you that explains how expensive Nintendo console for the mass market, but you don't have it, do you? And you seem confusing margin for shops with profit in a manufacturer. (Nintendo had been notorious for bullying retailers anyway :LOL:)

In fact, those engineers and businessmen at Nintendo were not lazy bastards who venture on a gamble as you assume... :p
http://hem.passagen.se/master-g/pics/consoles/nes.htm

The Development
Befor the NES Nintendo had developed playingcard, toy, games and a gamesystem with in-built games, the Color TV Game. And they wanted to break new ground in the video-game business. In the lead of the project stod Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi and ingeneer Masayuki, Yamauchi wanted a machines that was cheeper the the comedetors and he wanted it to have changable gamecartridges. There was already systems with changeable games on the market at the time, the most famous was Ataris VCS(aka Atari 2600) from 1977. But Nintendos gamesystem was to be both better and cheeper then any system on the market, the goal was that it should cost 9 800 yen(about $75) with would be half the cost of any other system.
the first steg to a cheep system was the chooise of CPU(Central Proccessing Unit), Masayuki and his ingeeners choose a 8-bit 6502 CPU with was cheep but not very powerfull, and as a fact is that Masayuki first choose a 16-bit CPU but it was to expensive. 6502 was so weak that it couldn't manage all the grafix itself so Masayuki added a PPU (Picture Processing Unit) to assist it. At first Nintendo couldn't find a developer that wanted deliver chips to the low cost of 2000 yen per chip, that Nintendo wanted to pay per processor. Finally they got Ricoh on the hook, after Nintendo had promised that they would order 3 million chips during a 2 year period. 3 million chips during 2 years was pritty much for a company that had only managed to sell 1 million units of there previeous system, Color TV Game.
There was planns to include a keyboard, a modem and a diskdrive, but Yamauchi thought that the accessories would make the system to expensive. But Yamauchi gave it inputs for modified signals to the CPU, wich made it possible to connect other accessories then the gamepad. The keyboard, modem and diskdrive was later released in Japan as accessories.

1983:: Famicom hits Japan
When the Famicom finally was released it cost 13 000 yen, a bit more then the 9800 yen it was ment cost but still far cheeper then any other system. Famicom quickely gained popularity and sold well in Japan.

It states 13,000 yen for the final price, but the correct price is 14,800 yen. As you see it clearly shows Nintendo thought they could profit from selling hardware. It seems this text is picked up from some book, as you can see the more detailed (less typo) version in http://home.uchicago.edu/~thomas/xbox-history-nintendo-nes.html or a Japanese page http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown/4007/phy07.html

Family Computer was released in July, 1983 with 'Donkey Kong', 'Donkey Kong Jr.' and 'Popeye'. Pyuuta Jr. and SC-1000, found in the above list as cheaper consoles, were released in the very same month ;)

Ugh. Not going to argue further, as there are just too many damn numbers, and too much assumption going on one way or another. (And too little knowledge about what costs get put where. I find almost any investment into anything marked "semiconductor" to go through the Electronics segment, not Game.) But for reference, I did find one set of facts interesting since it bears much relation onto exactly what we're talking about:

With respect to capital expenditures by business segment...expenditures in the Game segment decreased by 60.3 billion yen, or 55.8 percent, to 47.8 billion yen, primarily due to lower expenditures for mass production of semiconductors.

That at least lets us see about what they were spending in '01 and '02 on semiconductors in Game specifically, and how much of a difference cost reductions made. Most other expenses went up from '01 to '02 as well (R&D, management, inventory, et al) but stayed basically in the same proportion to sales.

Nintendo launched Family Computer (Famicom) in 1983 in Japan. When they released it, NEC didn't have a game console (They had PC).

You said Nes/famicom, and now you're trying to only use "only" the famicom in your example. Well forget it. i was talking about the NES mainly so let's stick to north america.

The exchange rate in 1983 was 1 US dollar = 237 yen.

Don't try and use an exchange rate to figure out it's price in north america. That simple isn't a good practice as nintendo doesn't usually charge the exact exchange rate. They almost always add to it. Also in north america nintendo didn't release the NES by themselves. They went through mattle for distribution the first couple of years and this did cost them.

I asked "why at a loss?". Why couldn't Nintendo produce a console by using cheap parts and by restructuring its business/manufacturing process?

...and I said competition! What other reasons could there have been?

I expected some factual source from you that explains how expensive Nintendo console for the mass market, but you don't have it, do you? And you seem confusing margin for shops with profit in a manufacturer. (Nintendo had been notorious for bullying retailers anyway )

What and you have posted factual sources? No you haven't. Regardless, some interesting links there, but this doesn't disprove anything. You have no idea where these people got thier numbers posted. For all you know they made it up.

It's common knowledge as I said for console manufacturers to sell hardware at a loss early in the liife of the console. This is common knowledge, yet you're trying to disprove it with sony and the PS2 for some odd reason. I'm not going to argue with someone that simply won't listen ot anyone. Margins for shops is a direct relation to margins for manufacturing. Nintendo didn't bully anyone until they became a hot commodity years into it's life. Infact, all you posted doesn't disprove anything related to the Snes, Virtual boy, N64, or Gamecube. Or that it wasn't common proactice for manufacturers to lose money on hardware. At some point this became the norm.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/313838/000095010902003508/d20f.htm#due to lower expenditures

Wow a massive sec.gov document :oops: Nice find indeed.

cthellis42 said:
I find almost any investment into anything marked "semiconductor" to go through the Electronics segment, not Game.

Really? Anyway, the 'Semiconductors sales' means those toward non-Sony companies, products such as CCD for cameras or audio processing LSI for audio equipments.

Game Business

In the Game business, the competitive environment is becoming more difficult due to competitors’ introduction of new hardware and software with various formats that can have increasing appeal to customers, rapid technological progress, a rise in the market penetration ratios of products, and diversification of customers’ preferences. Sony continues to incur significant expenses such as depreciation expenses resulting from a high level of capital expenditures in prior years to increase production of semiconductors for PlayStation 2 hardware, research and development expenses for semiconductors and software, advertising expenses, and personnel expenses. However, Sony may face difficulties in adequately providing for such expenses and capital expenditures due to weak sales caused by such factors as supply shortages of core devices/other parts and inventory shortages of hardware, especially when product demand is the highest, delays in introductions or decreases in the number of software titles that appeal to customers, or decreases in hardware unit sales stemming from a rise in the market penetration ratios of products. Also, delays in cost reductions and reductions in production/inventories, in response to a changeover to new hardware or slow sales, may adversely affect Sony’s consolidated financial results and condition.

Principal Capital Investments

In the fiscal years ended March 31, 2000, 2001 and 2002, Sony’s capital expenditures (additions to fixed assets on the balance sheets) were 435.9 billion yen, 465.2 billion yen and 326.7 billion yen respectively. Regarding breakdown of principal capital expenditures and divestitures (including interests in other companies), refer to “Item 5. Operating and Financial Review and Prospects†and “Note 19 of Notes to Consolidated Financial Statements.†Regarding capital expenditures in progress, Sony constructed a semiconductor-related manufacturing facility in Japan, which started operations in October 2001. Cumulative capital expenditures for the facility are expected to be approximately 100 billion yen by the end of the fiscal year ending March 31, 2006, approximately 53 billion yen of which had been invested by the end of the fiscal year ended March 31, 2002. The funding requirements of such various capital expenditures are financed by cash provided by operating and financing activities or cash and cash equivalents.

Recent Strategic Developments and Business Alliances

In an environment of rapidly advancing technology, Sony is engaging in alliances with other companies to quickly and efficiently expand its business given limited resources.

In the area of semiconductors and devices, in May 2001, Sony and Toshiba Corporation agreed to develop jointly process and design technologies for 0.1 micron and 0.07 micron next generation system large scale integration (LSI). Joint development, taking place at a Toshiba laboratory, began in May 2001, and is planned to continue through the end of the fiscal year ending March 31, 2004. The research budget is 15.0 billion yen, with each company contributing half. In addition to this agreement, IBM Corporation, Sony Corporation, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc., and Toshiba Corporation announced in April 2002 their agreement to develop jointly next generation and beyond semiconductor process technology over the next several years, using silicon-on-insulator technology and leading-edge materials. In this alliance, several hundred million U.S. dollars will be spent over four years to develop new process technologies with features as small as 0.05 micron on 300 mm wafers.

The Game segment designs, develops and sells PlayStation and PlayStation 2 game consoles and related software mainly in Japan, the United States of America and Europe, manufactures semiconductors used in the game consoles in Japan, and licenses to third party software developers.

Following the 2000-2006 investment described above, SCE and Sony announced in 2003 that they would invest 200 billion yen (2 billion dollars) in 65nm process factories (for Cell) in 2003-2005, so the prediction (100 billion yen) missed it.

BTW...

Cash Flows
During the fiscal year ended March 31, 2002... Other investing activities during the fiscal year (excluding Financial Services) included approximately 20.0 billion yen that Sony contributed in cash as a portion of its investment in Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications and 14.9 billion yen Sony invested in Square Co., Ltd., a major game software developer.

In the Game segment, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (“SCEIâ€) acquired all new shares issued by Square Co., Ltd. in October 2001. SCEI invested approximately 14.9 billion yen, acquiring approximately 19 percent of Square’s total shares outstanding. The purpose of the investment was to improve the game software production and development capabilities of Square, a company which owns popular software titles for use on the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 platform.

Qroach said:

You said Nes/famicom, and now you're trying to only use "only" the famicom in your example.

What's wrong with that? Technically, when they started to sell NES in the U.S. in 1985, they had an abundant stock of Ricoh RP2A03 custom 6502 CPU for Famicom already, so you can't quote it as "hardware at a loss" example as they could procure cheap parts more easily. :) NES had games bundled on launch, so you may think it as a "loss" if you like. Famicom (and all other consoles in Japan) didn't have bundled games, except for limited releases.

I asked "why at a loss?". Why couldn't Nintendo produce a console by using cheap parts and by restructuring its business/manufacturing process?

...and I said competition! What other reasons could there have been?

Only when the competition is too harsh they'd sell things at a loss. Have you seen the list above with those prices and the 9,800 yen goal of Famicom? Famicom had advantage to competition by its superior spec too, so why at a loss? Again, for the NES, it had great software library already at the launch.

It's common knowledge

Enough of your 'common' knowledge already :devilish: Could you cite something at least, if not a detailed financial report by an insider?

Margins for shops is a direct relation to margins for manufacturing.

By 'direct', I don't get what you mean. Is there any regulation by the law?

Infact, all you posted doesn't disprove anything related to the Snes, Virtual boy, N64, or Gamecube. Or that it wasn't common proactice for manufacturers to lose money on hardware. At some point this became the norm.

LMAO. Who first included NES in the post above? It's you. So I googled around things about it. You want me to do it again for Virtual Boy!? :cry: o_O :LOL: You know, VB didn't have fuckin competitors at all except for the budget of consumers :rolleyes:

What's wrong with that? Technically, when they started to sell NES in the U.S. in 1985, they had an abundant stock of Ricoh RP2A03 custom 6502 CPU for Famicom already, so you can't quote it as "hardware at a loss" example as they could procure cheap parts more easily. NES had games bundled on launch, so you may think it as a "loss" if you like. Famicom (and all other consoles in Japan) didn't have bundled games, except for limited releases.

A loss is a loss. If the cost of adding the cart along with other factors caused a loss, then it's still a valid loss! outside of japan nintendo had to pay for shipping (over seas) and distribution costs(using mattel). I'm sure that factored into the price somewhere.

Only when the competition is too harsh they'd sell things at a loss.

I asked you what other reason could there have been? perhaps if the console wasn't selling well? That's a valid reason, isn't it? perhaps if you need to provide incentive with extra controllers and games, that could add up to a loss.

Have you seen the list above with those prices and the 9,800 yen goal of Famicom? Famicom had advantage to competition by its superior spec too, so why at a loss? Again, for the NES, it had great software library already at the launch.

Did you read your article? they didn't achieve the goal of 9800 yen. Also where are these people getting thier numbers from? It's not hard to find numbers somewhere that will support just about any opinion, which is why I used words like "typically" in my post.

Enough of your 'common' knowledge already Could you cite something at least, if not a detailed financial report by an insider?

Like I said in my first post. If you've been following consoles for a long time, you would have seen this stated before. You're not citing detailed financial reports by insiders with regards to the NES, so why should I? I also do see that you're disproving what I said abotu it being commong practice by ONLY using the nes as a example

By 'direct', I don't get what you mean. Is there any regulation by the law?

Manufacturing costs factor into the price at retail and the suggested retail price.

Who first included NES in the post above? It's you. So I googled around things about it. You want me to do it again for Virtual Boy!?

hey I said it goes back to the nes days and I'm certain it does. Nothing you've posted has really proved anything to me at all. regardless, my original statement was more wide reaching.

You know, VB didn't have fuckin competitors at all except for the budget of consumers.
Yup and it didn't sell at all. Perhaps it was priced too high? You were the one asking for reasons on why someone would be prompted to sell something below cost. do you see any more reasons now?

Qroach said:
A loss is a loss. outside of japan nintendo had to pay for shipping and distribution costs. I'm sure that factored into the price somewhere.

Haven't you seen the exchange rate in 1983 I posted? 8)

Did you read your article? they didn't achieve the goal of 9800 yen.

I see you didn't read the article. Yamauchi, strictly from business point of view, set the retail price goal at 9,800 yen before making the hardware spec. Engineers could make a hardware which costed something like 9,800 yen or below, as the article didn't touch how the actual hardware costed, except for 2,000 yen for a CPU. Since they judged they could sell it at 14,800 yen watching competitors, they did. No loss. :rolleyes:

Like I said in my first post. If you've been following consoles for a long time, you would have seen this stated before. You're not citing detailed financial reports by insiders with regards to the NES, so why should I?

C'mon, this is the b3d forum and I'm having fun in this game. If you don't believe anything on the net it's OK, neither do I can believe what you write here on the net :p

Manufacturing costs factor into the price at retail and the suggested retail price.

Who suggests the suggested retail price? Mario? :LOL:

one said:
Wow a massive sec.gov document :oops: Nice find indeed.
Like I said, I was using the information readily available on Sony's Investor Relations site. They have a number of SEC filings there--which I find to be of greater value for specifics.

cthellis42 said:
I find almost any investment into anything marked "semiconductor" to go through the Electronics segment, not Game.
Really? Anyway, the 'Semiconductors sales' means those toward non-Sony companies, products such as CCD for cameras or audio processing LSI for audio equipments.[/quote]
I mean plant-wise as well. The Kokobu site you mention is labelled "semiconductor," and purchases from Oita TS are covered as well. (56.5 billion in 2001; 52.7 billion in 2002. I imagine this is where the cost savings shows up most, as 2002 purchases go down even through they must have been purchasing in a much higher volume.) I cannot be absolutely certain, as investment information is not that well quantified or labelled. But for the most part it seems things noted "semiconductor" fall under the Electronics segment (which covers by far the total R&D of the company, and must have for the internal plants aimed at PS2 production since they could be reconditioned later on as well, since the Game segment's R&D has remained very low, and is not a factor in the 2001 and 2002 performance difference.) Purchaes OF semiconductors, however, are handled by the business that uses them.

BTW...
Cash Flows
During the fiscal year ended March 31, 2002... Other investing activities during the fiscal year (excluding Financial Services) included approximately 20.0 billion yen that Sony contributed in cash as a portion of its investment in Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications and 14.9 billion yen Sony invested in Square Co., Ltd., a major game software developer.

In the Game segment, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (“SCEI”) acquired all new shares issued by Square Co., Ltd. in October 2001. SCEI invested approximately 14.9 billion yen, acquiring approximately 19 percent of Square’s total shares outstanding. The purpose of the investment was to improve the game software production and development capabilities of Square, a company which owns popular software titles for use on the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 platform.
I noted that. Of course that points to "more expense" in 2002 from such investment than 2001, since I can't find similar comments there. Which again leans more on the PS2's relative cost. Also note the Ericsson investment is not handled by the Game division, while the Square investment is since it belongs there specifically. So too it seems that "semiconductor" investment is handled through Electronics--though it may be that certain "line preparation" costs aimed solely at PS2 production may have been assigned to the Game segment. But plant creation and major refurbishment would seem to fall under Electronics' purvue.

Back