NPD May 2007

Laa-Yosh

I can has custom title?
Legend
Supporter
Horrible.

Even Nintendo should be posting better numbers than these. They were supposed to be shipping 1.5 million/month now. Still can't find them in the stores and they only pushed 338k in the US?

As Laa said, MS should have cut the price... and Sony needs to as well.

MS should've cut the X360's price months ago.

Everybody is saying this, yet isn't there another possible factor? Competition from Wii? I mean Wii is still a costly $250 system that is selling in droves, you're telling me some people aren't choosing Wii in place of 360? Nobody seems to mention this at all.

The other thing is the Elite. It's possible since Elite is still sold out that many people are waiting to get a hold of one and therefore not purchasing 360 at all. Providing more evidence of what I was afraid of, that it may become the de-facto default sku chosen by consumers and thus a price raise. Anyway you slice it, Elite just wasn't a good idea.

DS and Wii: what can you say but down right amazing
360 = terrible
PS3 = pitiful

People keep talking about how the Wii won't have the long legs of the 360 and PS3. Well, it doesn't need to. Nintendo will sell a ton, each at a profit and by the time the other 2 are barely breaking even on hardware, Nintendo will have money in the bank already. However, I do not expect the Wii to be phased out as quickly as Sony and MS hope.

MS need to realize that the market point for $400+ consoles is highly saturated. No amount of great games will over come this. You might get a bump here and there but that's about it. Cut the price and grab some marketshare while your console is still popular. If the new cooling fix does drastically cut back on the failures, I could see the price drop being moved up in the plans. Milking it until the last minute will certainly hurt than help in the long run.

Sony just needs to get a clue. The original plan has backfired. Time to take one in the chin, clear out your inventory and drop the price drastically to make it appealing. You only have so long to grab the markets attention. If Sony takes too long and the PS3 start losing popularity as it has been, even great games and price cuts might not help significantly.

Last edited by a moderator:
360 is doing pretty poorly for a system with an amazing lineup. Market for a $400 system is just saturated.

Drop the damn price MS.

May NPD numbers

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=SNE:US&sid=al_jVeWnhvSA

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16507

Figured we might as well start a new thread since these aren't April NPD numbers anymore. ;)

DS: 423k
Wii: 338k
PSP: 221k
360: 155k
PS3: 81k

Here are Canadian numbers, courtesy of iceberg187:

Canadian NPD doesn't have a home so I'll just put it here.

Pokemon Diamond--DS--Nintendo--24,900
Pokemon Pearl--DS--Nintendo--19,500
Mario Party 8--Wii--Nintendo--17,700
Wii Play w/ Wii Remote--Wii--Nintendo--16,000
Spider-Man 3--PS2--Activision--14,500
Forza Motorsport 2--Xbox 360--Microsoft--12,600
Super Paper Mario--Wii--Nintendo--10,000
Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars--Xbox 360--Electronic Arts--9,500
Spider-Man 3--Xbox 360--Activision--9,200
Guitar Hero II--Xbox 360--Activision--9,000

Wii - 37,300
DS - 35,900
PS2 - 18,200
PSP - 15,000
360 - 12,300
PS3 - 6,500
GBA - 6,100

I wouldn't say the market for a $400 console has dried up considering MS is rather steady with their sales. They've been between 150k-225k for months, and this is typically a slow time of year. The PS3's sales however have halved in recent months, so it is safe to say that the market for a $600 console is definitely drying up.

The Wii just happens to be a freak of nature in the sense that it continues to accelerate in sales going into the summer months. That's highly atypical, if not unprecedented, in the console space.

Complete list:

Hardware

[NDS] 423,150
[WII] 338,278
[PS2] 187,765
[PSP] 221,120
[PS3] 81,604
[360] 155k
[GBA] 80,554
[NGC] 10,728

Software
331k NDS POKEMON DIAMOND VERSION
314k WII MARIO PARTY 8
249k PS2 SPIDER-MAN 3
238k NDS POKEMON PEARL VERSION
227k WII PLAY W/ REMOTE
217k 360 FORZA MOTORSPORT 2
184k 360 GUITAR HERO 2 W/ GUITAR
140k 360 SPIDER-MAN 3
138k 360 COMMAND & CONQUER 3: TIBERIUM WARS
131k PS2 GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR

Category Performance
Category May 2006 May 2007 Increase
Video Games 548M 815M 48.7%
Video Games Hardware 191M 319M 67.2%
Console Hardware 123M 221M 79.1%
Portable Game Hardware 67M 98M 45.3%
Video Games Software 286M 381M 33.2%
Console Software 209M 274M 31.0%
Portable Game Software 77M 107M 39.2%
Video Game Accessories 72M 115M 61.3%

Two questions:

1) Who the hell is buying all those PS2s?
2) What the hell is Sony thinking? Every month they are sinking further and further and every month they do nothing, seemingly resigned to grim inevitability.

Very solid PSP numbers jump out.

That system's sales are underrated. When you look at it compared to PS3, it puts it in perspective. There is actually monthly demand for PSP.

Good month for Sony all around, except for PS3, which itself probably outperformed by not declining.

Two questions:

2) What the hell is Sony thinking? Every month they are sinking further and further and every month they do nothing, seemingly resigned to grim inevitability.

Prepping a Wii-mote clone for the PS2 :devilish:

Seriously, the more I consider it, the more realistic this scenario becomes. PS2 has the library, the developer knowledge, the .... It is ideally suited to a SIXAXIS 'clone' being introduced which could absolutely extinguish the Wii. It's hardware is well understood (at least, I hope it is now), and it's price point is lower. Sony can play Nintendo at whatever game they want: next-gen (PS3 vs. ????) or current-gen (Wii vs. PS2 + ????)!

NB I can't sufficently distinguish the types in this case, so please don't take my "current-gen" description too seriously.

No games + high price = 81k , Sony must do something.

Wii as expected, NDS as expected too. Ps2 is doing great, PSP keeps getting better sales thanks to the pricut, as for 360,just 150k the month Forza 2 is released? I expected more than 200k units.

It's a new low for the 360, 160k was their previous low. They are hitting a new low despite all the great games that are out for it. So yes, they badly need a price cut. I guess they could look at the bright side, the PS3 also hit a new low.

It's a new low for the 360, 160k was their previous low. They are hitting a new low despite all the great games that are out for it. So yes, they badly need a price cut. I guess they could look at the bright side, the PS3 also hit a new low.

MS will cut the price when they can get some synergy from it, i.e. along with Halo 3. If they drop it now, sure, theyll get some more sales between now and september but how many, 100K? I think they really want to start a frenzy come halo/september and combine those marketing dollars into one "YOU CANT RESIST!" type of push. I dont think $50 is a big enough drop tho, hopefully they dont either.

http://www.thestreet.com/newsanalysis/techgames/10362733_2.html

"Most of games for Nintendo platforms were the company's titles, compared with the Xbox 360, which had games from independent publishers break the charts," said Aaron Greenberg, group product manager for Microsoft's Xbox 360.

"For the Xbox 360, we are seeing 65% of third-party sales come from third-party publishers, compared with 15% for the PS3 and 25% for the Wii," he said.

Back