NPD December 2017

Must have been a bogus figure going around then, because that Business Insider article says 10 million between May and 6th december. Another 7 between the first four months at the beginning of the year and the last month seems implausible!

Apparently they sold additional 3.4M units from Dec 6th till the end of the year WW. In light of that the 7M doesn't seem unlikely.

http://fortune.com/2017/01/05/xbox-playstation-holiday-season/

Sony on Wednesday said that it sold 6.2 million PlayStation 4 units worldwide between Nov. 20 and Jan. 1, bringing the total number sold since the console’s 2013 debut to 53.4 million.

Last edited:
How about dat 3DS number though. 3DS will be clipping over the 70 million sold. Nintendo has to be making a killing on the New 3DS and New 2DS. Nintendo has to be ecstatic with its performance. With Nintendo essentially combining its console and portable markets into one with the Switch, it makes a lot of sense to have a lot of cross over. What I mean is that it makes good business sense for Nintendo to have their latest device as the premium offering, and the older device as the value alternative. This way they still have two devices on the market selling at the same time. Nintendo could have sold over 20 million Switch+3DS units in 2017, and that is nothing to sneeze at.

It's kinda weird how they bounce around so much between months. I guess can have to do with promotions and stuff.

TBH NPD sometimes struck me as a bit suspicious, consoles can rise and fall a lot for no apparent reason at all.

Switch goes from crap Nov to huge Dec. PS4 goes from big Nov to lackluster Dec. Etc.

Looking at my past numbers Xbox/PS4 sold almost exactly the same in 2017 Nov+Dec as 2016 Nov+Dec. I have 2016 a little lower, but Im thinking my Nov 2016 estimates may be a little low (IIRC Windows Central numbers that turned out low?).

It's kinda weird how they bounce around so much between months. I guess can have to do with promotions and stuff.

TBH NPD sometimes struck me as a bit suspicious, consoles can rise and fall a lot for no apparent reason at all.

Switch goes from crap Nov to huge Dec. PS4 goes from big Nov to lackluster Dec. Etc.

Looking at my past numbers Xbox/PS4 sold almost exactly the same in 2017 Nov+Dec as 2016 Nov+Dec. I have 2016 a little lower, but Im thinking my Nov 2016 estimates may be a little low (IIRC Windows Central numbers that turned out low?).

The PS4 Comes from 199 dollars Black Friday to 299 dollars. The first November of the Switch was good without discount on Black Friday. And the Switch is a family console from the data coming from NPD December will always be a good month.

Last edited:
PS4 was 249 on Amazon in Dec that I saw, still point taken. I guess it's more Switch, why would Switch go from little demand in Nov to suddenly high demand in Dec? Switch price never changes.

Could be supply I guess, I did not pay attention to that.

But in past months over years of NPD you see consoles sometimes change a lot for no apparent reason at all.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...ntendo-News-Nintendo-Switch-Tops-December-U.S

Nintendo sold 1.5 millions Switch in December using the leaked percentage and they sold 750k 3DS

Using the leak percentage it means 1365000 Xbox One and 1080000 PS4. Microsoft sold 285k more console than Sony...
My guess is:
NSW: ~1.5M
XB1: ~1.37M (XB1X ~250K)
PS4: ~1.08M (PS4 Pro ~220K)

I still find it strange that Sony's December promos were so lackluster. Even if they kept the 249/349 prices all month I think that would have pushed the PS4 to be on par with XB1. I would think that Sony would still profit from those prices.
Was pretty close. :)
Obviously I used the leaked percentages and calculated based on the NSW number. But I did get the NSW number right.

Curious about Pro and X sales. Wish NPD would provide splits.
My Pro guess might be a bit high. There were some good Pro bundles at Gamestop though, which is my reasoning.

PS4 was 249 on Amazon in Dec that I saw, still point taken. I guess it's more Switch, why would Switch go from little demand in Nov to suddenly high demand in Dec? Switch price never changes.

But in past months over years of NPD you see consoles sometimes change a lot for no apparent reason at all.
PS4 was 249 for about a week. Amazon started the promo a few days earlier IIRC. The rest of the
month it was regular MRSP. Same goes for the Pro, but gamestop had some nice bundles.

XB1S was 189 or 199 all month, and MS ran the free PUBG with XB1X promo in December.

Sony were either focusing on profit, or they had some supply issues, because their December promos were lackluster. They sold A LOT in November, and this was their highest calendar year ever, beating their previous high (2016) by 15.4%.

Last edited:

November there were no specials for the Switch. With no Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals on it, it was a normal ramp up to Dec. Without BF/CM deals for PS4/XBO in Nov. they also would have sold a LOT less in Nov.

Dec. sales for the Switch jump up a lot more than other consoles due to the Family friendly reputation of Nintendo consoles. So, parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, etc. will generally prefer a Nintendo console when buying a gift for children. Hence both Switch and 3DS did quite well.

Regards,
SB

Why would families by in December instead of November like I dunno, everybody else?

Families magically buy at a certain time? Families dont buy on black friday? How did it get so popular then?

It must be the answer but you can see it seems a tad arbitrary.

Why would families by in December instead of November like I dunno, everybody else?

Families magically buy at a certain time? Families dont buy on black friday? How did it get so popular then?

It must be the answer but you can see it seems a tad arbitrary.

Because they'd usually rather buy something on sale during BF/CM. November is an unusual month in the US as most families will budget the majority of their non-essential spending for BF/CM.

TV at a great discount or a Switch at normal price? Bedsheets at a great discount (I got some during CM :D) or a Switch at normal price? It could be anything. But basically if it isn't on sale during BF/CM it's likely to get pushed off to December if it's a gift for someone.

Basically why buy it at normal price in Nov. when you can buy it at normal price in Dec.? Especially if you can save a ton of money by buying stuff on sale in Nov. (BF/CM).

Regards,
SB

I don't know about the rest of you guys but I get a bonus in December, not November. Plus, we used to save a little bit for Black Friday, but the last 5 years we haven't because the crowds have been bad more than usual & the change of moving store hours into Thursday got into family time(not cool). Was great when it was 4am only on Friday since you could spend quality time with the family all day Thursday & use the time to strategize with your family on what stores you'll hit first. Now it's 2 days & all over the map on what stores open & when. So we just said forget it & now wait for the extra sales right before Christmas when we get our bonus.

Tommy McClain

Sales November plus December from resetera, great holidays for all hardware maker

It's funny in Era somebody asked if this might be some kind of record, 5.2 million consoles in Dec?

The answer came back one Dec Wii and 3DS ALONE sold over 7 million. Those days when you had PS2, and handhelds selling like crazy, were pretty nuts hardware wise.

But NPD does say:

Over the first 50 months in market for each console, the combined hardware installed base of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One now exceeds that of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 by 18 percent, and that of the PlayStation 2 and Xbox by 4 percent,” said Piscatella.

That is somewhat good news, but at the same time shows a somewhat stagnant core market size. Given some population increases in that time as well.

Which I personally would expect. the core market is what it is and by nature I think is limited in size.

But at least it shows the core market is not hemorrhaging, particularly vs last gen.

It's funny in Era somebody asked if this might be some kind of record, 5.2 million consoles in Dec?

The answer came back one Dec Wii and 3DS ALONE sold over 7 million. Those days when you had PS2, and handhelds selling like crazy, were pretty nuts hardware wise.

But NPD does say:

That is somewhat good news, but at the same time shows a somewhat stagnant core market size. Given some population increases in that time as well.

Which I personally would expect. the core market is what it is and by nature I think is limited in size.

But at least it shows the core market is not hemorrhaging, particularly vs last gen.

Yes handheld market and casual market shrinking is huge... But Maybe Nintendo Labo will help casuals to buy the console for children probably not huge like Wii but something great...

Back