NPD December 2017

Rangers

Legend
Wasn't today some sort of NPD release? Isn't that how it works now?

2nd Thursday of the month, behind the scenes release, includes hardware. But we typically hear zero.

3rd Thursday, public facing release. We get told which hardware was #1, maybe some platform holder PR, and then start the arduous process of working hardware numbers estimates.

Right? I think so.

Surprised and not surprised. Surprised NSW did so well after a solid but not amazing November, but at the same time I'm not surprised because it topped every online sales chart by a good margin.

XB1 beating PS4 was predictable. PS4 was regular price for most of the month, and was only on sale for 249 for a week? Pro was also $50 off for a week?

XB1S stayed at the magic sub-$200 mark all month, and XB1X had the free PUBG promo.

Sony wanted to maximize profit in December, it seems... their December promos were VERY tame.

Curious how close PS4/XB1 were. And curious how well XB1X did.

Surprised and not surprised. Surprised NSW did so well after a solid but not amazing November, but at the same time I'm not surprised because it topped every online sales chart by a good margin.

XB1 beating PS4 was predictable. PS4 was regular price for most of the month, and was only on sale for 249 for a week? Pro was also $50 off for a week?

XB1S stayed at the magic sub-$200 mark all month, and XB1X had the free PUBG promo.

Sony wanted to maximize profit in December, it seems... their December promos were VERY tame.

Curious how close PS4/XB1 were. And curious how well XB1X did.

Yes PS4 was 299 dollars againt Xbox One S 189 dollars. And only 249 dollars for one week for the Star Wars Battlefront 2 bundle. But from insiders on resetera, the PS4 was not so far from the Xbox and 2017 continue to be the best year for PS4 in US.

EDIT: I think Xbox One S and PS4 need a price cut to 249 dollars ASAP

Yes PS4 was 299 dollars againt Xbox One S 189 dollars. And only 249 dollars for one week for the Star Wars Battlefront 2 bundle. But from insiders on resetera, the PS4 was not so far from the Xbox and 2017 continue to be the best year for PS4 in US.

EDIT: I think Xbox One S and PS4 need a price cut to 249 dollars ASAP
Yeah didn't help that the PS4's main December bundle was with an EA game. If it had been the CoD bundle I wonder how much that would have changed things.
That's unfortunate for Sony though.

I think there will be a price drop to 249/349 for Slim/Pro this year (both standalone HW). I think we'll see a 249 bundle with either GoW, Spider-Man or RDR2 sometime in Q3/Q4 that replaces the 249 SKU. Then on Black Friday, I think we'll see that bundle hit 199, with some retailers throwing in a $50 gift card or something of ~$50 value.

Looking even further ahead, I think we'll see the Slim/Pro hit 199/299 in 2019 (again both standalone HW). Then finally a 199/299 TLoU2 bundle as the last PS4 SKUs.

Looking even further ahead, I think we'll see the Slim/Pro hit 199/299 in 2019 (again both standalone HW). Then finally a 199/299 TLoU2 bundle as the last PS4 SKUs.
7nm revisions will be the primary driving factor of price reductions for both Slim and Pro. I fully expect that Sony will not remain on 14nm until end of 8th gen.

Don't worry, at the sight of first good news in months, MS instantly broke the NDA

I dont think it's an NDA break if they don't give any numbers.

I will say this increases "Benji's" credibility on Era somewhat. As he both hinted Switch would win big and gave even more vague hints that Xbox might topple PS4 for 2nd.

Sure, you could look to Amazon for more evidence of Switch #1, but still. At Amazon Ps4 beat Xbox for 2nd (though I kinda discounted it as the SKU stock was pretty messed up on Amazon for December, aka the base PS4 and Xbox S SKU's didn't settle in to stock for a good while of the month while other discontinued SKU's withered away).

I'l check resetera but, what is the "xbox highest share" or whatever about? He (must) means only vs PS4, and he counts switch as a different gen? wonder what can be inferred from that sales wise...

I feel like this will hasten the calls for Ps5 and the thought that X1X means doom for PS4.

When neither is really much the case, at least not YET. Not at 499...

And it's not like we're even talking about #1.

Era has already started "well he must have meant revenue. MS lying again". "Sure, revenue, since X1X costs twice a PS4" (hey lets ignore that PS4 Pro exists) Blah blah...

Last edited:
It shouldn't, that's just the vibe I get.

That's what I'm saying, PS4 outselling Xbox by wide margin WW. No need to read anything into this.

No wording of best months for anyone. So, it probably means Xbox under 1.5 million (it's best Dec and best overall month iirc).

I get a feeling the core twins sold a little lackluster in Dec, possibly even like 1.1m Xbox and 1.0 PS4, or maybe ~1.3. Just a feeling though.

Black Friday is likely to be the major selling period to ramp up for gifts prior to the holidays.

January is sort of the test of continued demand now that the buying season is over and bonuses are spent.

So all three manufactures sold a tremendous amount of consoles in December. That is great news. The gaming market is healthy and going strong. It also goes to show that Nintendo isn't just eating from the same pie, but are bringing additional sales and thus the market is growing because of it.

I think the biggest bump for Xbox in december is the Xbox One S at 189 dollars it was out of one week 110 dollars cheaper than a PS4 and 60 dollars cheaper for one week... Now price sensitive people begin to buy consoles...

So all three manufactures sold a tremendous amount of consoles in December. That is great news. The gaming market is healthy and going strong. It also goes to show that Nintendo isn't just eating from the same pie, but are bringing additional sales and thus the market is growing because of it.
Shouldn't the market being considered there be consoles+handhelds? I doubt Switch is growing the market beyond previous gens - I don't see that it's converting new people into gamers.

leak of console sales ratio, Xbox One did 91 % of Switch sales and PS4 72% of Switch sales probably at least 100k of difference between PS4 and Xbox One family.
Very much more than that. Ratio is ~ 10:9:7 SW : XB : PS. If we consider 1 million units sold for SW, that'd be 900k for XB and 700k PS4. The higher Switch's numbers, the greater the differential between XB and PS. It 'll be several hundred thousand more XBs sold.

Very much more than that. Ratio is ~ 10:9:7 SW : XB : PS. If we consider 1 million units sold for SW, that'd be 900k for XB and 700k PS4. The higher Switch's numbers, the greater the differential between XB and PS. It 'll be several hundred thousand more XBs sold.

Probably 200 to 400 k...

Shouldn't the market being considered there be consoles+handhelds? I doubt Switch is growing the market beyond previous gens - I don't see that it's converting new people into gamers.

That is a good point. I would still think that year over year more units were sold than the year prior. 3DS is still selling pretty well, so when we combine all console unit sales, 2017 was likely the best year for console sales in many years now. Sony had its best year since launch, Xbox One is at least maintaining a good baseline, 3DS is slowing down but still selling a fair amount of units, and Switch sold upwards of 13 million units in 2017. If more dedicated hardware units were sold in 2017 than any of the previous handful of years, I would think its safe to say the market is growing. Is it at an all time high? Probably now, those 360/PS3/Wii/DS peak years would be tough to top.

If more dedicated hardware units were sold in 2017 than any of the previous handful of years, I would think its safe to say the market is growing.
It's only growing if that hardware is selling to new gamers and not existing gamers upgrading. Is Switch selling to 3DS owners? Is PS4 selling to PS3 owners? Well, it depends how you measure growth. Financially, more dollars spent, it's likely growing, but I think that generally true every year. ;)

Back