Notebook resolution and quality - SXGA or UXGA?

Lordberek

Newcomer
With a new notebook with an M10 in it, is it worth getting a UXGA 16.1 inch display? I would be content with a SXGA 1280x1024 because that would be above what I use my 17inch desktop now at 1024x768.

I just keep thinking the 1600x1200 is way too much, besides the gaming graphics looking good, it would make text way smaller, and hard to read. Having 1280x1024 a native resolution seems best for games as well.

Will a SXGA 16.1" display be better quality than a desktop 17"(16 viewable) display at 1024x768? Considering games mainly...

Also, are notebook LCD screens increasing in quality? I cannot find any reviews, guides or any info on where technology is going for them and how often they increase in quality.

A 16" display in a notebook makes a mighty large notebook.

I personally dislike travelling with the Dell Inspiron's we have here at the office with 15" displays--they're too damn big and heavy.

Get a smaller screen/notebook, and spend the savings on a desktop LCD monitor.

I should probably explain what I want to use it for ;)

I am not traveling with it really, just bringing it to work (security guard) and spending time playing games and such there. So it will be on a stable surface and all that, just like a desktop.

The large screen size isn't the issue by itself, I would llove to have a 19 inch notebook because of that ;) it's my other concerns

Id try to go to one of the BM stores and see the notebooks in action. Cant beat that. I would not take a chance without seeing it first.

later,

Firstly, make sure the notebook display you want has a sufficiently fast pixel response. Anything above 30ms may make for blurry gaming no matter what res you're running.

Secondly, I'd also prefer a smaller laptop display for both size/weight and battery life concerns. But that's really you call, so you'll want to head down to CompUSA/BestBuy and poke and prod some laptops in person.

I agree with Russ that you're better with a small laptop LD and a separate desktop LCD, but I'm not sure I'd want to plug a nice desktop LC into the DB15 output of most laptops. In fact, the Apple Powerbook Ti is the only laptop I know that has a DVI out--something that has to change, if you ask me.

Side note: If large form-factors don't faze you, check out this widescreen Dell (or this widescreen vpr Matrix, if they'll offer a new model with the M10). You can't beat widescreen for movies, though you'll have to check if games will allow a widescreen view or if the monitor will allow black bars on the side to display 4:3 resolutions (vs. stretching, and therefore blurring, the display).

I personally LOVE the inbetween: SXGA+, aka 1400x1050. Not too big, not too small, and has excellent downscaling to 1024x768 for games.

Back