Noob needs PC building help....to prevent disaster

Soapmonkey

Newcomer
Well, I read a bunch of magazines, watched TechTV, lurked around this board for months researching, and when I decided to build a PC it appears I made a lot of crazy choices that are now leaving me in a cold sweat as I type.

Here is what I got, and own.

AMD 64 FX-53 939
Asus A8V mobo
2 gig XMS Corsair ram
A plextor burner, decent reader
2 WD Raptor HDs, no raid
Creative sound card
Modem (no highspeed service here)
And a yet to be purchased $500 graphics card

My delimma is this, I bought a PC Power and Cooling Ultra Quiet 410 power supply, but I was told today that I should have gotten the 510 because I won't be able to run the 6800 if I wanted to. That my system's power would be so tight I shouldn't even add another PCI card. The 510 costs twice as much and weighs more, which might be a problem for my case, an Antec SuperLanboy. I got that case because I wanted a small, light, good air moving case. But as 7 days have past, I own it and can't return it to Newegg. I had to wait for various parts to come in stock...

So I don't know what to think, I want to run a stable system, and I could go with the ATI solution, but I'd like the option of both, and then there is the whole issue of can a 510 be safely held in the case. When I plotted out the budget for this rig it seem really great, but suddenly there are demons of doubt, I wonder if I should have just gotten the Antec 480 PSU instead, it sure is cheaper.

I need opinions and advice.

Is the 410 good enough, or should I return it, I'd have to pay shipping back...

Do I need the 510? Is it worth it at twice the price?

If I got a 510, will I have to buy a new case? I once considered the Antec P160...but honeslty, I'd rather keep what I got. I never owned an aluminum case before so I am not sure if it can handle a heavier 510.

I just want to have a stable system.

Here is some output data:

Output: +12V @ 23A
-12V @ 0.8A
+3.3V @ 28A
+5VSB @ 2A
+5 & +3.3<200W
cont. power<410W
peak power<450W

Everything seemed to be going so well, I concentrated on everything else and thought the PSU was a no brainer. I called PC power and Cooling and the guy on phone listened and was pretty good at answering questions, but he alerted me to the tight power. Its something I wondered about, I tried to do the math, and it seemed okay, but the truth is I don't want to risk okay....this isn't easy.

I still want to put in a TV card....I guess a mid-range system would have been easier.

Soapmonkey said:
Well, I read a bunch of magazines, watched TechTV, lurked around this board for months researching, and when I decided to build a PC it appears I made a lot of crazy choices that are now leaving me in a cold sweat as I type.

Here is what I got, and own.

AMD 64 FX-53 939
Asus A8V mobo
2 gig XMS Corsair ram
A plextor burner, decent reader
2 WD Raptor HDs, no raid
Creative sound card
Modem (no highspeed service here)
And a yet to be purchased $500 graphics card

My delimma is this, I bought a PC Power and Cooling Ultra Quiet 410 power supply, but I was told today that I should have gotten the 510 because I won't be able to run the 6800 if I wanted to. That my system's power would be so tight I shouldn't even add another PCI card. The 510 costs twice as much and weighs more, which might be a problem for my case, an Antec SuperLanboy. I got that case because I wanted a small, light, good air moving case. But as 7 days have past, I own it and can't return it to Newegg. I had to wait for various parts to come in stock...

So I don't know what to think, I want to run a stable system, and I could go with the ATI solution, but I'd like the option of both, and then there is the whole issue of can a 510 be safely held in the case. When I plotted out the budget for this rig it seem really great, but suddenly there are demons of doubt, I wonder if I should have just gotten the Antec 480 PSU instead, it sure is cheaper.

I need opinions and advice.

Is the 410 good enough, or should I return it, I'd have to pay shipping back...

Do I need the 510? Is it worth it at twice the price?

If I got a 510, will I have to buy a new case? I once considered the Antec P160...but honeslty, I'd rather keep what I got. I never owned an aluminum case before so I am not sure if it can handle a heavier 510.

I just want to have a stable system.

I'm not really sure if you'll need the 510 or not. Being generous with the power draw, figure about 100W for the CPU/MB, maybe 60-80W for the two raptors, another 20W for the CDRW, another 20W for misc, and you are sitting at about 200-220W before the videocard. Assuming the 6800 draws around 130W you're looking at 330-350W, which should be tolerable with a good quality 410W power supply. The only thing with the 6800 you have to keep in mind is that the powersupply needs to be able to supply enough on the 12V rail, (and originally they wanted dual rails for the card which is kind of insane).

Obviously the 510W would allow you more headroom, but I tend to think you'd probably be "ok" on the 410W. I'm currently running an Athlon XP1700+, a 9700pro, a DVDRW, a CDRW, 2 hard drives, a number of fans, and a sblive off a 300W, so I think you'd probably be ok with the extra current draw from the A64 and 6800.

As always, I'm not responsible if your system isn't stable or blows up or something. ;)

Nite_Hawk

Also keep in mind that the harddrives and CDRW are only going to be drawing full power when they are in use, otherwise they'll draw significantly less. Not that you want to count on that, but it's something to keep in mind.

Nite_Hawk

Nite_Hawk said:
Being generous with the power draw, figure about 100W for the CPU/MB, maybe 60-80W for the two raptors

Jesus christ man, a Raptor should be 12W at most, and likely less than that. While it does spin faster than other ATA drives, it has smaller platters intstead so the difference isn't that great actually.

I can't see why a 410W powersupply would not be sufficient for the described system.

Guden Oden said:
Nite_Hawk said:
Being generous with the power draw, figure about 100W for the CPU/MB, maybe 60-80W for the two raptors

Jesus christ man, a Raptor should be 12W at most, and likely less than that. While it does spin faster than other ATA drives, it has smaller platters intstead so the difference isn't that great actually.

I can't see why a 410W powersupply would not be sufficient for the described system.

From what I understand, even most 10-12W drives can consume up to 20-30W on spinup. Granted your videocard shouldn't be drawing much at that point, but I figured I'd give him an absolute worst case scenario. I really think he'll be fine.

Nite_Hawk

Your PSU even at 410W looks pretty special to me; I think you're fine. The +12V is the most important factor for AMD CPU's and @28A you are way above spec. With continuos power of 410W and 450W peak power I think it is even higher rated than the Antec TruePower 480W. Keep it!

OK so it is 23V for the +12V Rail.. still fine AFAICS :)

Back