Non functionaing X2 athlons sold as single core?

oddfellow

Regular
I'm probably barking up the wrong tree here....

Anyway, I have an Athlon64 3200+ which is supposed to have a Venice core, however CPU-Z 1.32 (latest version I believe) reports it as having a Manchester core.

As far as I can gather, Manchester is the latest X2 core.

Is it possible AMD are disabling faulty cores and selling the chip as a single core??

It would make financial sense to have some built in redundancy - if one core is bad, the chip is still useable

Like I said though, I'm most likely completely wrong in this assumption. If indeed I am, please point this out to me and I'll get me coat! LOL :LOL:

Ah cool, so it's not just me! :cool:

Anyway, I'm not bothered at all. It still functions perfectly, and seems to overclock at least as well as an actual Venice core chip.

Indeed, manchester is supposed to be exceptionally efficient thermally, so it could possibly aid overclocking.

Hmmm.... I feel some testing coming on...... Gotta order that Arctic Cooloing Freezer 64 pro :devilish:

Funny how something we are all used to in pipes and GPUs is finding its way in a way to CPUs. Especially once they get to quad core and beyond eh :)

Unfortunately it seems as though agiea are missing thier window of opportunity for physics chip. I would rather the physics thing caught on in a big way and the CPU power could be used for something else to make even more immersive worlds...

Sxotty said:
Funny how something we are all used to in pipes and GPUs is finding its way in a way to CPUs..
It will only be a matter of time before someone finds a way of unlocking a "disabled" core :)

Diplo said:
It will only be a matter of time before someone finds a way of unlocking a "disabled" core :)
Not too likely. There have been plenty of Intel and AMD CPUs in the past with disabled components (usually sections of L2 cache), and I have never actually heard any reports of people being able to re-enable those components. If they are disabling the bad cores with a fuse array or laser repair, they cannot be re-enabled with anything less than focused ion beam equipment (huuuge $$$).

Besides, in this case, it's entirely likely that it's only the defective cores which have components disabled.

I don't even think half-broken dual cores are sold as a dual core with the broken core disabled. I'd expect the broken core to have been amputated at the factory, seeing as pretty much all that's joining the two is the on-chip hypertransport link. Maybe they'd have to blow some on-chip fuses or something to tell the CPU it's not a dual core anymore. Otherwise I'd think there's the chance power might get wasted in the broken core, etc.

Back