Hmm. So.. 3200+ -> 4600+ X2?

Sobek

Locally Operating
Veteran
Hey guys.

Fairly simple question today...Basically, i'm presently running a 3200+ clocked at 2.5ghz.

I was running an x1900 crossfire setup at one stage, but my slave x1900xt chucked a wobbly and I sent it off to be replaced, but instead organised to have the cards worth credited towards an x1950 (as i've heard nothing but great things for their crossfire performance when coupled with an x1900 Master).

As it stands, single-card performance at even 1280x1024 (highest settings, little to no AA) is pretty average for this x1900xt, and I figure, given the recent price drops, it's the best time to switch to a naturally superior processor. The 4600+ X2 is only $355 AU here, and I can get one as soon as I like. It comes clocked at 2.4ghz, and I should be easily able to get it up to 2.8ghz, if other peoples' experiences with this core are any indication. This seems like a fantastic upgrade for the price, all things considered.

I'm curious, does anyone else have a similar setup (x1900xt single, 4600+ X2 or similar), who could vouch for potential performance? Bear in mind i'll definitely be overclocking this processor a good 400mhz, and going back to Crossfire once the x1950 arrives locally. Thanks! :cool:

Not got any first hand experience with games as I dont seem to have time to play them anymore, but going dual core and to a 4600 right now is a good idea.
It seems AMD is very aggressive about phasing out the Socket 939 market and this might cause prices to rise in the future before supplies dry up completely.

As for performance, the A64 4600 at 2.4GHz in Windows will give you better, smoother performance and in games it will depend on the level of support for Dual Core technologies.

Might be an idea to find some benchmarks comparing the FX57 to the FX60 - have had a customer do this at one point but he also changed his graphics card from 2x 7800GTX's to 1x 7950GX2 and he definitely noted a better frame rate in his main game (BF2).

Thanks for your input.

I should probably add that I do do quite a bit of multi-tasking, like having a number of apps open at any given time and a game minimised while I do something else...

I think i'm just going to go with it, i've checked into a number of reviews on the 4600+ (VERY sparse), and i'm quite confident it'll turn out a far superior gain over my overclocked 3200+.

And the PRICE! :p

What about 4000+ to X2 4600+ (same clock speed and cache size). Would the second core come in good use in 2007? Im thinking mostly in therms of gaming.

:oops:
As it stands, single-card performance at even 1280x1024 (highest settings, little to no AA) is pretty average for this x1900xt
Huh? My x1900GT handles 1920*1200 with 8*AF & either 2 or 4*AA just fine.

credited towards an x1950 (as i've heard nothing but great things for their crossfire performance when coupled with an x1900 Master).
Again Huh?! :oops: x1900crossfire would downclock an x1950 to x1900xt clocks when running crossfire. Or just plain not work...

Back