Nokia's Present & Future

Discussion in 'Mobile Industry' started by Arun, Dec 22, 2010.

1. zed

zed
    Veteran

2. liolio

liolio Aquoiboniste
    Legend

Not the best place to post it, but the new MSFT Lumia 535 are actually good for the price, previous entry level were not competitive on specs with Android entry level phone this one has a greatly balanced hardware.

3. Gubbi

Veteran

It is good value for money, no doubt.

Microsoft product planning/marketing is as incompetent as ever, launching a new brand with a low end device (going for inverse halo effect ?)

Cheers

4. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Might have to eventually make a new thread or rename this one as Nokia Lumia's are slowly phased out. But this applies to all Lumias (Microsoft and Nokia).

Apparently Microsoft has announced plans to provide Windows 10 upgrades to all Lumia phones running Windows Phone 8. A good move on their part. Be interesting to see how it runs on current low end devices like the 520/521.

Regards,
    SB

5. BadTB25

Veteran

I'm very skeptical. I'm still waiting for a Verizon update to 8.1 on my Lumia 928.

6. wco81

Legend

Well Nokia reportedly issued a bullish forecast this past week. Presumably that doesn't include a phone business.

7. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Nokia is thinking about re-entering the Smartphone arena possibly in 2016. They will do 1 of 2 things according to their CEO. Either license the Nokia brand to another company to use. Or buy phones from ODM's in China and then put the Nokia brand on them.

Regards,
    SB

8. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Is there anyone from the former cellphone/smartphone development teams that is still working at Nokia?
    Sounds like they will just be rebranding Zopo, THL and co. smartphones, in a time when Nokia holds little to no value in the smartphone market.

9. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Link to CEO saying that? The news here have said quite clearly that Nokia will NOT return to making phones. They will release something new tomorrow though, looks like a settop box or something

10. Silent_Buddha

Legend

http://www.dailytech.com/Nokia Explores Two Paths Back to the Smartphone Market/article36891.htm

which was probably sourced from...

http://www.nokiapoweruser.com/2014/...hones-in-long-term-not-possible-till-q4-2016/

The exclusivity is limited only to smartphones (until 2016) and feature phones (10 years, not sure when that ends). I expect Nokia branded products to appear before then in other areas.

I'm surprised somewhat the Microsoft didn't opt to license the smartphone brand for longer.

Regards,
    SB

#2410 Silent_Buddha, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  11. ToTTenTranz

#2411 ToTTenTranz, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  12. davygee

Newcomer

WOW the Nokia N1 is basically an iPad Mini 2. Expected to launch at $249 compared to the iPad Mini 2's $299, wonder how the CPU/GPU's compare and how battery life will compare as well.

13. davygee

Newcomer

Actually, isn't the Moorfield Atom using the same GPU as the iPad Mini 2? The PowerVR G6430?

14. mboeller

Regular

Why are you against a 4:3 screen? For browsing and reading it is IMHO better than 16:9. Also the screen size of an 4:3 7.9" screen is larger than the screen size of an 16:9" screen. Compared with an 7" 16:9 screen the screen is for example AFAIR 40% larger.

15. ToTTenTranz

I don't think apple tablets will interfere with the market of Android tablets. It could be a carbon copy of the ipad mini and that fact wouldn't matter at all.
    At least not in China, which is where this Nokia tablet will start being sold.
    What I do think is that this tablet is way too close to the Xiaomi MiPad, which has an arguably better SoC and the price is already lower than this.
    Within mainland China, the MiPad hasn't been very popular (unlike the Xiaomi smartphones which are blasting everything in their way). Chinese customers seem to prefer lower priced tablets with better functionality/price ratio.
    If Xiaomi which is the favorite brand in China can't get their MiPad to be successful, I don't know why Nokia believes their tablet will do any better.

Personal preference based on what I use my tablet for. I use my tablet mainly for series, movies and reading comics/manga. For all those things, 4:3 is a huge waste of screen space and portrait browsing is fine enough if the ratio is 16:10.
    I wouldn't get a 4:3 tablet for myself, though I'd recommend the likes of Xiaomi MiPad to people who want their tablet mostly for web browsing and games.

16. davygee

Newcomer

Of course Apple tablets will interfere with Android, but it depends in the country/market.

The Nokia N1 is priced as a premium 8inch device so will compete like you said directly with the MiPad and the likes in China....but seeing as the iPad Mini 2 is at a similar price, I reckon it's got no chance of success in basically any region. It would have to be really cheap to be successful. The Nokia brand will take it a bit, but it cannot compete with the likes on the iPad mini 2 in the same market.

The interesting move is the 64bit CPU, this is a differentiator for some, but unfortunately comes out 18 months after Apple's first 64bit CPU.

17. Laurent06

Regular

And at least four months after Google Nexus 9.

18. Rys

Rys Moderator
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

But ahead of pretty much everything else on the market. First past the post with 64-bit has to be one of the more dubious platform races to win in mobile land.

19. Laurent06

Regular

The ARM 64-bit ISA brings several interesting features to the table, such as IEEE floating-point SIMD, a much cleaner ABI, and more registers which should help JIT. Of course it remains to be proven that it benefits the Android ecosystem.

20. Rys

Rys Moderator
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

Which brings up the point that even though the N1 has a 64-bit capable processor, it's not ARMv8 and it's also unlikely to see 64-bit native Android in the first months of its life, if at all.