Nokia's Present & Future

200px-Half_raised_flag.jpg

Not the best place to post it, but the new MSFT Lumia 535 are actually good for the price, previous entry level were not competitive on specs with Android entry level phone this one has a greatly balanced hardware.

Not the best place to post it, but the new MSFT Lumia 535 are actually good for the price, previous entry level were not competitive on specs with Android entry level phone this one has a greatly balanced hardware.

It is good value for money, no doubt.

Microsoft product planning/marketing is as incompetent as ever, launching a new brand with a low end device (going for inverse halo effect ?)

Cheers

Might have to eventually make a new thread or rename this one as Nokia Lumia's are slowly phased out. But this applies to all Lumias (Microsoft and Nokia).

Apparently Microsoft has announced plans to provide Windows 10 upgrades to all Lumia phones running Windows Phone 8. A good move on their part. Be interesting to see how it runs on current low end devices like the 520/521.

Regards,
SB

Nokia is thinking about re-entering the Smartphone arena possibly in 2016. They will do 1 of 2 things according to their CEO. Either license the Nokia brand to another company to use. Or buy phones from ODM's in China and then put the Nokia brand on them.

Regards,
SB

Is there anyone from the former cellphone/smartphone development teams that is still working at Nokia?
Sounds like they will just be rebranding Zopo, THL and co. smartphones, in a time when Nokia holds little to no value in the smartphone market.

Link to CEO saying that? The news here have said quite clearly that Nokia will NOT return to making phones. They will release something new tomorrow though, looks like a settop box or something

Link to CEO saying that? The news here have said quite clearly that Nokia will NOT return to making phones. They will release something new tomorrow though, looks like a settop box or something

http://www.dailytech.com/Nokia Explores Two Paths Back to the Smartphone Market/article36891.htm

which was probably sourced from...

http://www.nokiapoweruser.com/2014/...hones-in-long-term-not-possible-till-q4-2016/

But Nokia's chief was surprisingly open at dropping two potential routes that his company may take in its return to the smatphone market. In one slide he suggested that Nokia may license its brand name to other OEMs after the exclusivity period with Microsoft requires in Q4 2016.

In another slide the CEO confirmed that Nokia is also exploring "ODM Management" (ODM = original design manufacturer). In other words it may tap ODMs like Compal Electronics Inc. (TPE:2324) or Foxconn Technology Comp., Ltd. (TPE:2354) to design and manufacturer smartphones, which Nokia will then place its brand and software on, and sell to customers worldwide.

The exclusivity is limited only to smartphones (until 2016) and feature phones (10 years, not sure when that ends). I expect Nokia branded products to appear before then in other areas.

I'm surprised somewhat the Microsoft didn't opt to license the smartphone brand for longer.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
WOW the Nokia N1 is basically an iPad Mini 2. Expected to launch at $249 compared to the iPad Mini 2's $299, wonder how the CPU/GPU's compare and how battery life will compare as well.

There you are: Nokia launching an Android tablet with an Intel Moorefield.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_launches_n1_android_tablet_running_lollipop-news-10236.php

To me it checks all boxes, except for the dreadful 4:3 screen ratio. They're probably just borrowing the screen production from ipad mini.

Why are you against a 4:3 screen? For browsing and reading it is IMHO better than 16:9. Also the screen size of an 4:3 7.9" screen is larger than the screen size of an 16:9" screen. Compared with an 7" 16:9 screen the screen is for example AFAIR 40% larger.

I don't think apple tablets will interfere with the market of Android tablets. It could be a carbon copy of the ipad mini and that fact wouldn't matter at all.
At least not in China, which is where this Nokia tablet will start being sold.
What I do think is that this tablet is way too close to the Xiaomi MiPad, which has an arguably better SoC and the price is already lower than this.
Within mainland China, the MiPad hasn't been very popular (unlike the Xiaomi smartphones which are blasting everything in their way). Chinese customers seem to prefer lower priced tablets with better functionality/price ratio.
If Xiaomi which is the favorite brand in China can't get their MiPad to be successful, I don't know why Nokia believes their tablet will do any better.

Why are you against a 4:3 screen? For browsing and reading it is IMHO better than 16:9. Also the screen size of an 4:3 7.9" screen is larger than the screen size of an 16:9" screen. Compared with an 7" 16:9 screen the screen is for example AFAIR 40% larger.

Personal preference based on what I use my tablet for. I use my tablet mainly for series, movies and reading comics/manga. For all those things, 4:3 is a huge waste of screen space and portrait browsing is fine enough if the ratio is 16:10.
I wouldn't get a 4:3 tablet for myself, though I'd recommend the likes of Xiaomi MiPad to people who want their tablet mostly for web browsing and games.

I don't think apple tablets will interfere with the market of Android tablets. It could be a carbon copy of the ipad mini and that fact wouldn't matter at all.
At least not in China, which is where this Nokia tablet will start being sold.
What I do think is that this tablet is way too close to the Xiaomi MiPad, which has an arguably better SoC and the price is already lower than this.
Within mainland China, the MiPad hasn't been very popular (unlike the Xiaomi smartphones which are blasting everything in their way). Chinese customers seem to prefer lower priced tablets with better functionality/price ratio.
If Xiaomi which is the favorite brand in China can't get their MiPad to be successful, I don't know why Nokia believes their tablet will do any better.

Of course Apple tablets will interfere with Android, but it depends in the country/market.

The Nokia N1 is priced as a premium 8inch device so will compete like you said directly with the MiPad and the likes in China....but seeing as the iPad Mini 2 is at a similar price, I reckon it's got no chance of success in basically any region. It would have to be really cheap to be successful. The Nokia brand will take it a bit, but it cannot compete with the likes on the iPad mini 2 in the same market.

The interesting move is the 64bit CPU, this is a differentiator for some, but unfortunately comes out 18 months after Apple's first 64bit CPU.

But ahead of pretty much everything else on the market. First past the post with 64-bit has to be one of the more dubious platform races to win in mobile land.

First past the post with 64-bit has to be one of the more dubious platform races to win in mobile land.
The ARM 64-bit ISA brings several interesting features to the table, such as IEEE floating-point SIMD, a much cleaner ABI, and more registers which should help JIT. Of course it remains to be proven that it benefits the Android ecosystem.

Which brings up the point that even though the N1 has a 64-bit capable processor, it's not ARMv8 and it's also unlikely to see 64-bit native Android in the first months of its life, if at all.

Back