Nokia N95 gaming

Because there's no other design option for a clamshell.

1. Your concept is three black rectangles with a few lines and circles. It neither looks good nor is it ergonomic nor an actual product.

So you expect a 3D CAD drawing with every detail in 10 minutes? Riiiiiiight. Funny how you claim something is not ergonomic from looking at a 2D picture....riiiiiiight. :LOL:

BTW it's called ART that POS E70 is not ART. Looked like Nokia hired some Transformers GEEK who has ZERO art background.

3. There is no point at all in opening the E70 when you don't want to use both hands, so there's no advantage in opening it with one hand.

And that's why it looks like a FUGLY, CHEAP, GENERIC phone. It's like comparing the old DS to the new DSLite...no f*king contest...the DSL absolutely DESTROYS the DS. It's just delusional to think the DS looks just as sexy as the DSL.

You don't have to open the E70 to make a phone call, unlike your concept, so that's actually a disadvantage of your concept.

So that makes all clamshell phones obsolete now? I don't think pressing one button or opening a phone is a disadvantae. It's only a disadvantage for handicapped people. Do you have ANY idea why Nokia started making clamshell phones????

4. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and you can tweak any design.

True, my concept has style while the E70 someting from the 80s and looks cheap too. Fact is the E70 is already a product so there's no hope in tweaking its looks.

5. Which means you get a bigger screen for less ergonomic typing. That's called a tradeoff.

The iPhone and the LG Prada blows away the E70 and it has very few actual physical buttons.. Regardless we're talking about gaming controls not typing. If you want gaming controls you'd have to throw out that stupid keyboard anyway.

6. That remains to be proven by an actual product.

Uh..yeah..that's why it's called a concept. All phone start out as concepts. There's NOTHING unfeasible about my concept. Maybe you should try to point out why it wouldn't be compact with valid arguments instead of speaking with authority with nothing to back it up.

Did it occur to you that someone might actually like that design?

Well some people like driving Toyota Echoes too. :LOL:

This is ART.

http://k-tai.impress.co.jp/cda/article/showcase_top/27970.html

This is POS.

http://www.topwords.com.ua/Mobilnews/katalog/images/nokiaimages/e70.jpg

If Nintendo partnered with NEC to turn my phone into reality, you'd be the first one to slobber all over it.:p

Last edited by a moderator:
So you expect a 3D CAD drawing with every detail in 10 minutes? Riiiiiiight.
No, I just expect you to not compare a "concept drawing" made in 10 minutes without any technical considerations or design skill to an actual product. ;)

No, I just expect you to not compare a "concept drawing" made in 10 minutes without any technical considerations or design skill to an actual product. ;)

Dude it's not rocket science. Just look at an existing real clamshell phone, then look at my concept. There's nothing there that won't fit or can't be done using existing phone dimensions. I didn't feel there was a need to divulge all of the fine details of how each little detail would work. The concept however is indeed based on realworld production vialbility, not some science fiction fantasy that can't be manufactured today. Every area in my concept has already been proven in the realworld. A proof of concept prototype is trivial. Now if I could only convince Nintendo to make one.:cool:

So how do you open up the phone with one hand if you use a straight edge instead of a diagonal one?:LOL:
Erm. Press the button you wanted that pops the phone open?

In any case a diagonal edge does not automatically make it more openable with one hand. It just makes it impossible to close the phone properly unless one does it "the right" way.

You need a notch for fingers/nails to hook onto regardless of how the flaps are designed to mate, straight or diagonally. Difference is, straight mating surface (with or without a notch) makes it possible to close the phone easily. A diagonal one would never make it past the product prototype stage and even if it did it would get slagged off in the press and customers as a product annoyance and design weakness just because of the reason I've pointed out (unneccessary difficulty when closing the phone).

Do you see the logic yet? People are more concerned about opening a phone quickly because *gasp* they need to answer a call. People don't need to close a phone quickly...unless they're tryng to hang up on somebody.
I don't think your reasoning is quite on the ball there. You're just being unreasonably dismissive of ideas that points at weaknessess in your concept.

I don't mind criticism as long as it makes sense and mechanically logical. Yours is neither.
It does make sense trust me.

A bit more humility (any at all would be a good start) and also some gratitude towards people taking the time to give feedback on your ideas would be more proper than this insulting arrogance methinks.

Peace.

Erm. Press the button you wanted that pops the phone open?

In any case a diagonal edge does not automatically make it more openable with one hand. It just makes it impossible to close the phone properly unless one does it "the right" way.

You need a notch for fingers/nails to hook onto regardless of how the flaps are designed to mate, straight or diagonally. Difference is, straight mating surface (with or without a notch) makes it possible to close the phone easily. A diagonal one would never make it past the product prototype stage and even if it did it would get slagged off in the press and customers as a product annoyance and design weakness just because of the reason I've pointed out (unneccessary difficulty when closing the phone).

I don't think your reasoning is quite on the ball there. You're just being unreasonably dismissive of ideas that points at weaknessess in your concept.

It does make sense trust me.

A bit more humility (any at all would be a good start) and also some gratitude towards people taking the time to give feedback on your ideas would be more proper than this insulting arrogance methinks.

Peace.

Dude I've already thought about it (your idea). Please explain to me in detail how this dual flap would open by itself with one button and where this button is located. It sounds so easy doesn't it? Explain to me in detail how the ergonomics would work.

Originally I thought about making the edges curved like the picture below so that when you use the phone as a game console the edges wouldn't make your hands hurt unike a straight edge, but I then I realize that it wouldn't work due to some mechanical issues which I'll explain after you show me in detail how your idea would function. That is why I went with the diagonal design. I've already studied the internal mechanicals, eletronics, ergonomics etc.

Check out my Photoshop job. :devilish:

That is the phone mode. Actually in phone mode the bottom flap (the one with the mic) would angle more than the top with the earphone. In game mode you would bend the two flaps further until it clicks parallel with the body like how the DS has two click angles.

How about stop the bickering and bringing this thread back to its original topic: N95?

Well I've had my unit for a week now. But is there actually any games out there coded to use its 3d hardware besides the built in demo?

Well I've had my unit for a week now. But is there actually any games out there coded to use its 3d hardware besides the built in demo?

We've got some accelerated games coming for it, and I'm sure others are developing such too. Hang in there, games are on their way, launch estimated for second half this year.

Thanks for replying Patric. I missed seeing this for a while. Think tried glbenchmark and remember the shadow flickers in the dinosaur part. But that was before I upgraded to the v11 firmware though.

The Whats new for S60 pdf got updated with Real-Time Graphics and Audio APIs for fp2. Is that going to stay only a feature pack 2 device feature? Was hoping for retrofit. Oh well. I guess those apis are going to tie in with the next gen ngage platform.

Back