noisy lg dvd

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
Everytime I insert a cd-rom in my lg dvd the device is noisy when it reads the media contents, it trembles. It's annoying, but everything is read ok.

dvd-rom's are ok though...

Can I fix this?

It could be the speed of the drive is causing some kind of resonance cascade at a particular frequency. Does touching your case lessen the noise? Is the drive securely fixed in the drive bay?

If not that it's probably just the sound of the motor/air resitance making the noise, and there's not much you can do.

Diplo said:
If not that it's probably just the sound of the motor/air resitance making the noise, and there's not much you can do.

Well you can certainly buy another brand DVD drive as some are quieter than others. They aren't that expensive either.

I recommend NEC DVD burners myself. I got a 3500A, and it's super. Good quality, small dimensions (length-wise), fairly quiet for a high-RPM optical drive, spins up pretty quick and doesn't keep spinning on idle for an obnoxiously long time either.

The successor, 3520 or whatsitscalled, should be marginally different, difference being it's probably slightly better.

These drives are dirt cheap too, and available with black faceplates as well. Perfect for me. :D

my NEC (though it's an older, 1300A) is kickin booty, too. I thought I'd regret a switch from Plextor, but at half the price, I can't complain. =) it's pretty quiet, too, unless the media is crappy (happens a LOT here in china).

NEC drives have been proven to be quiet ones. I have now 3500A, which is really quiet as Goden Oden said. My old DVD-ROM from year 2000, is/was NEC 5700B (should be 10x reader, never measured the speed execpt it was fast enough.) and it was amazingly quiet back then.

In second computer, there's LG DVD-ROM as well as LG CD-RW drive and both are quite noisy. (not like legendary CyberDrive CD-ROM drives, but not a big difference there.)

I have a LG DVD-ROM as well, yeah they are noisy. I've kind of grown acustomed to it (I've had mine since like christmas 2002) I'm not too bothered by it.

I also have a Sony DVD burner an it is very very quiet :)

Back