No DX12 Software is Suitable for Benchmarking *spawn*

It invalidates it because you are possibly slowing down some HW making official scores comparison unreliable. On the other hand if an IHV disables concurrent execution (or the HW doesn't support it in the first place) the score is still valid, of course.

So a simple question. Why is it that when Nvidia disables 'async compute' on a driver level on anything older than Pascal (to prevent performance tanking obviously), TimeSpy score is valid. But when you do the same and disable 'async compute' in TimeSpy benchmark itself, it invalidates your score.

Futuremark isn't making any claims about what the hardware actually does. Async queues are an API construct. If nVidia decides to do everything serially that's their business.

"FM_Jarnis [developer] 2 hours ago
..and just FYI so you don't think I'm just ignoring this thread:

Whole thread (and the Reddit threads - all six or seven of them - and a couple of other threads in other places - you guys have been posting this everywhere...) have been fowarded to the 3DMark dev team and our director of engineering and I have recommended that they should probably say something.

It is a weekend and they do not normaly work on weekends, so this may take a couple of days, but my guess is that they would further clarify this issue by expanding on the Technical Guide to be more detailed as to what 3DMark Time Spy does exactly.

Those yelling about refunds or throwing wild accusations of bias are recommended to calm down ever so slightly. I'm sure a lot more will be written on the oh-so-interesting subject of DX12 async compute over the coming days."

http://steamcommunity.com/app/223850/discussions/0/366298942110944664/?ctp=6#c366298942113378129

Last edited:
Why is it that when Nvidia disables 'async compute' on a driver level on anything older than Pascal (to prevent performance tanking obviously)
Because nvidia cannot disable it on driver level, all nvidia can do is simply merge async streams into common graphics stream, it's not equall to disabled async because additional overhead due to a larger number of executecommandlist calls for a larger number of command lists with Async is still here and it could cause perf drops in many cases with unoptimized code

I'm not able to edit my posting.
Here is an example from Hitman with my GTX980T
Imaxwell_hitman_ac.png

"Light green" is the compute workload from the compute queue. "Dark green" is the graphics workload.

It would be nice though. API overhead test includes Mantle which is obviously AMD only.

At least it would give us insight if there is any performance benefit for Nvidia.

Just for a little precision the API overhead with Mantle test have been made at a time where only Mantle was available. ( no DX12, nor vullkan ).

Last edited:
Why do you think people still do not understand this?
Possibly because the press and consumers keep freaking out about everything related to it? :) If it's really just an API concept that people are free to implement however they want, all that should matter is the total delivered performance of a game or benchmark, which is almost getting lost in the noise at this point to be honest :S

Back