Nintendo looks to double profits in '07

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would still recommend momentum on this stock, Dragon Quest IX will be it's peak IMO. After that a contrarian strategy for 6months might be advisable.

Well, different opinions on it, all I can say. Even Nintendo's own reps have said you'll fare better in a game like Super Smash using a traditional controller layout, and part of the appeal of Metroid Prime IMO was that it was a deep game, that made use of every single button on the GC controller. I would prefer things not be reduced to wrist-flicks and such.

Smash Brothers is nothing like the games you just mentioned though. Its one of the few games where it actually might be much better to just use a standard controller (I say might because perhaps sometime in the future we'll see a control scheme I just haven't thought of). But the games you have mentioned actually lend themselves perdectly to Wii's controller. Why wouldn't they?, you have a stick to walk the character around, the main Wii controller to move the camera/aim and 8 buttons for actions such as weapon selection and firing. That's without even using the movement senor in the nunchuck.. I really don't understand why you would think a game like Metroid Prime would need to use "wrist-ficks" in place of buttons. At worst you might have something like jump as a quick up movement of the nunchuck, but that sounds quite natural and I doubt even that would be required if it didn't feel natural.

Last edited by a moderator:
Smash Brothers is nothing like the games you just mentioned though. I can actually see why a game like Smash Brothers might just be better using a standard controller. But the games you have mentioned lend themselves perdectly to Wii's controller. Why you think something like Metroid Prime would need to use "wrist-ficks" in place of buttons is beyond me. Wii has enough buttons to handle everything in a game like Metroid Prime and again and Wii controller is at home with that kind of game simply by using the main Wii controller to control the camer/aim and the nunchuck stick to move.. and the buttons to fire, select weapons ect.

I went over to a Wii controller w/nunchuck and it's about 6 buttons short of what the GC controller has, and those are buttons that were used in Metroid Prime.

I mean, we could run a 'Metroid Simulation' right now and determine what we would need to replicate the expected button mapping. You've got rolling into a ball, grappling beam, four primary weapons, missles, map pull-up, standard firing, jumping, 'supershot,' four different optics modes... not sure if I'm missing anything else, but like I said these are functions that would absolutely require the security of "instant execution" a button provides. It's not for example about rotating through weapons; MP let you choose your weapon with one touch.

Maybe it can be done, but we're coming at this thing from two different directions, but I'd just need to see it implemented in real life before I got excited over it. I'm still standing by my 'toned down' feeling for Metroid Prime on Wii.

Btw, have any of you guys played Call of Duty on Wii? Not that good, and I'm talking about from a gameplay perspective.

I went over to a Wii controller w/nunchuck and it's about 6 buttons short of what the GC controller has, and those are buttons that were used in Metroid Prime.

I mean, we could run a 'Metroid Simulation' right now and determine what we would need to replicate the expected button mapping. You've got rolling into a ball, grappling beam, four primary weapons, missles, map pull-up, standard firing, jumping, 'supershot,' four different optics modes... not sure if I'm missing anything else, but like I said these are functions that would absolutely require the security of "instant execution" a button provides. It's not for example about rotating through weapons; MP let you choose your weapon with one touch.
Let me try.
Use the d-pad+B trigger as shifted selector. Just the d-pad for selecting weapons. D-pad plus B for selecting visors. A to fire. Not being able to fire while you're switching weapons is okay.
The + key to enter/exit the pause menu, which would default to the map view. It's a little awkward to reach, and that's exactly why I'd use it for the pause menu.
The - key to toggle ball mode. This is easy to reach with the thumb, you just will lose the ability to fire in the transition. Again, I think that's okay.

The Nunchuk's C and Z would be used for jumping and lock-on respectively. You engage the grapple hook by locking on to an eligible target. You scan by staying locked on.

I have not decided on a proper place for missiles. First attempt would be pressing A (regular fire) while B is held down, but I have that crazy idea that pulling back your Nunchuk hand over your left shoulder, in effect turning the Nunchuk upside down would make sense as a missile selector (like holding/balancing a rocket launcher on the shoulder).

xbd

The GC controller has 11 buttons (excluding the start button). Wii's controller has 12 buttons excluding the home and power buttons. Eight of those 12 can be easily pressed without shifting the position of your hand at all. So basically GC has 3 more buttons then Wii's controller in the case of a game like Metroid Prime.

In Metroid Prime one of those buttons was used to change the stick from movement to looking around, which is no longer required in the Wii version. Another was used for lock-on, which again is no longer needed in the Wii version (BTW there are two examples of the exact opposite of toning the game down IMO). Another was used to bring up a map, which is not exactly something you need to do in an instant anyway.. But if you really think that map is required in an instant during battles then simply make jump a quick lift of the nunchuck, something that should be quite natural and even possibly add to the gameplay.

You then have the second stick on GC that was used for selecting missiles. No problem, one button brings up the 4 missiles on screen instantly and a instant aim and fire selects instantly, without needing to rotate through visors. The same could even be done for missile changing which would effectively give Wii's controller buttons spare to use for extra features that GC's controller didn't have enough buttons for :)

LOL... ok, we'll just see how it goes down. You guys may be right. ;)

And I do apprecate your taking the 'button mapping challenge.' :)

Metroid Primes weapon and beam setup is going to be completely different. It will use weapon stacking so the controller will have no problem with the new Metroid.

I think he means that the buttons would be doubled up, i.e. present in both locations?

Mark Pacini: Yeah, actually we have a pretty different weapon system than in previous games. Before, the weapon system was mainly about switching weapons. In this game the weapons are going to be stackable, they’re similar to Super Metroid. We kind of modeled our system a little bit after that. So each beam that the player gets will stack on top of one another and keep their inherent abilities but become more powerful. That’s what happens to all of Samus’s weapons. So her beam weapons will stack, her missile weapons will stack, and also her grapple beam will stack as well. And as far as new weapons the player will have: just simple things like, Samus will get one beam ability that allows her to shoot through materials. That, in combination with one of the visors she’ll have, the X-ray visor, she’ll be able to solve certain puzzles or defeat certain creatures by detecting targets underneath surfaces. We’re really trying to make her weapons work in conjunction with each other, rather than just having a more powerful beam

So they're dumbing Metroid down to work with the Wiimote? :(

Dumbing down is when you remove functions or options, it doesn't sound like they are doing that. They are likely making the exact same weapons accesible in a more streamlined and intuitive manner.The goal of any good interace design is to make interaction as easy and intuitive as possible.
Edit: As an example,say you have four beam weapons,one way would be set each beam to four seperate directions on the D-pad. So beam 1 would be up,beam 2 down,beam 3 left, beam 4 right. Why? Why not map all four to one direction on the D-pad and scroll through them.This way you actually allow for more beams because the amount isn't limited to the amount of directions on the D-pad. You've done the opposite of dumbing down the game.Simpler,easier and more intutive doesn't have to mean dumbed down,I don't know why people often think that.

Well, beam switching was a key gameplay element and now they seem to be removing it. Now you just get all your beams in one. Sounds like dumbing down to me.

Well, beam switching was a key gameplay element and now they seem to be removing it. Now you just get all your beams in one. Sounds like dumbing down to me.

Well you would be wrong. The beams will still be there,you will still have to switch to them and use the appropriate beam for the proper scenario, which was always the gameplay element and still is. The point was not to test your D-pad dexterity considering you always had so much time and warning as to the beam to go to.

Well not in the middle of a big battle you didn't. Especially with some boss fights. I'm not so sure as you about this new direction, but time will tell...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back