Ninja Theory's new game: Enslaved

Yeah, reboot is always touchy. I :love: Wind Waker's art style. It's my first Zelda but I remember many fans complained at that time (Too kiddy !). inFamous 2 and R2 were similar examples.

For DMC, I don't see why or how the new direction is better than the old. They should have give us more info first.

As for Enslaved, I think they need to tighten their tech if they make it to the sequel. There're also a few invisible wall issues, but the pace kept me going. I *think* I did the industry a service by buying this game. The team deserves nurturing.

I did like the Enslaved Demo, more or less for it's story and cinematic presentation, like so many console games I like these days. Gameplay is alright, very Uncharted like in it's exploration and navigation, but more like DMC in most of the combat. If I do play through it, it will be for the story and cinematics. I loved Heavenly Sword for the same reason, watching Andy Serkis playing crazy characters is always fun. Does he provide Monkey's voice too?

I've never played a Zelda game :/

Anyway, I haven't bought Enslaved yet and I really am torn. On the one hand, I'm not 100% convinced the game is for me but on the other, like patsu I think teams like NT deserve to be supported because they are trying to do things slightly differently.

Ah, I see, you come from a cave.

Ah, but it doesn't matter where you and I come from, but what we can achieve together.

Rotmm, I can see even more screen tearings and framerate drop later. But at the same time, I can also "see" the characters in the story more clearly. The pacing, "acting", and story development create a sense of reality in them. The game is not tough (died 5-6 times only), but somehow I get the feeling that the experience is difficult for Monkey and Trip, like they are people in a movie. :)

In Chapter 9 now. Where is that other character...
I saw a screenshot and brief mention of him, but he hasn't showed up yet.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/15/enslaved-ps3-title-update-adding-5-1-surround-sound-for-optical/

Shortly after Enslaved's launch we were informed that the game was only outputting stereo for those using optical audio output for surround sound on PS3. We were told by Namco today that it is currently working on a title update to support 5.1 sound output.

A Namco rep tells Joystiq, "[The update] will be ready around the same time as the paid DLC, which will be available within the next couple of months. Details on that DLC will be announced soon."

I just finished it. Lame ending
What is it with games and endings that make absolutely no sense?
, and hardly any gameplay. It's just hammering buttons through fully automated platforming and combat. And even then it doesn't always do what you want it to do.

I'm still in Chapter 9 (Completed a few stages together with the third character). Saw some posts on disappointing ending on GAF. People are comparing it to Heavenly Sword. Opinion seems to be split.

The platforming is like Uncharted 2. I like fighting the dogs and using the Cloud. The grunt fights become less interesting after Monkey has been upgraded though.

How many chapters in the game in total ?

Enjoyed the game though the story could be fleshed out a lot more same as character development. Graphics are alright, UE3 is seriously lacking behind these days. Gameplay became repetitive after awhile though I liked the boss fights a lot. The game premise has potential but the ending is simply lame.

Finished it and what an amazing game - my GOTY so far. I loved the story and the graphics (while there are some rough edges) are some of the best I've seen. There's some simply stunning settings there that just have to been seen in motion to be fully appreciated. The pacing is also excellent, tying in story and gameplay perfectly - towards the end it wasn't as great but it was still good. The combat while it is fairly simple, keep me on my toes enough to where it never felt one key. Overall I thought they did a good job with blending button mashing with tactics. Oh and the voice acting and face work was superb, easily some of the best out there.

I'll admit the ending was
a bit surprising to say the least. They obviously left it wide open for the sequel (if there is one) seeing as what that could lead to. It was also quite poetic in a way.. overall the story was fantanstic.

If I had to fault the game it would mostly be for the technical issues. I played the PS3 version and at times it ran horribly. Combine that with certain sound effects cutting out at random and the texture streaming problems, all of which cut into the experience at times - thankfully not too much though.

Finished it. Last fight is a little irritating because of the grunts. Overall, rather well done.

I like the characters and their interactions. I still like Kai the best. They managed to keep the story interesting throughout. I was intrigued all the way till the end. Ending will depend on your expectation; may be cliche to some. The characters' facial expressions and eye animations are commendable. I didn't see any "dead" eyes.

At first, I thought Monkey might be a lost bot someone was looking for by kidnapping all the human.

I´m now playing chapter 9. I loved Heavenly Sword. It was the first game I finished in what at the time was called "next gen" and the gap from past software seemed huge. The story was compelling. I loved the fact of the game being self-contained, "closed", not prone to sequels. The voice acting (even with the spanish translation, the ***best*** of the gen in this languaje so far), phenomenal. The lenght and gameplay may be in the short, buggy side, but compelling after all. And music, graphics, production values, were fantastic.

Time has not been so cruel with Heavenly Sword after all, and in fact I´ve replayed several times the game and it stands still.

With Enslaved I have a big problem, and it was the "old fashion" use of UE3. Streaming problems, framerate less than fine in PS3, postprocessing far from brilliant... That bloom and texture shining that hurt your eyes. But Ninja Theory needed a bit of respect and support and finally I bought the game.

The fact is that the study is correct in many areas, very strong in character design and development, creative in their settings, very smart in creating astonishing panoramas, colourful vistas. The music in Enslaved is fairly good, but a step behind Heavenly Sword imho. Production values seems to be a bit restricted. It´s fairly obvious that Ninja Theory are alone now, facing the problems of a very ambitious game alone.

The testing (in PS3 version) seems far from ended. The fact of 5.1 output not being available in PS3 it´s really disgusting. Even more, the audio fluctuates up and down in an unacceptable manner. Really, really buggy. Kills inmersion. That´s unfair with the work of NT and must not be allowed, because apart from that and the UE3 """usual""" affaires the game is well developed.

The controls are a bit buggy. It´s not exactly delay, but a mixture of fighting with standard animations and sticky points related with the scenery: points where jump is allowed for example are areas of the scenario that, if traversed, are prone to not desired movements.

All that said, Enslaved must seem far from perfect, but it´s really easy to be pleased with it. First, the game keeps mistery up. In HS the tension was related with Nariko´s future, here´s the global situation, the facts that made the world evolve to the disaster. Second, the mixture of gameplay styles is enough to make you interested. There´s platforming (too easy, again), combat (well developed until more than half of the game) and the ability of avoiding it.

My veredict is not complete, but I keep enjoying Ninja Theory, I think I´ve understood their vision in Enslaved, and my complains are just more in the technical, budget side of things. This game with a tech enforcement or simply put an in-house engine, and more founds used for testing and polishing things could have been much better.

The game concept is fine. I think that the personal relations (Monkey-Trip, their respective past...) needed to be underlined more. Gameplay is enough to be pleased with. Artistic design is simply superb (their biggest value). To summarize things, Enslaved is a really good game, that demonstrate that a modest company can survive to a semi-failed project like Heavenly Sword (which I still prefer) and still make, by their own, fairly good and enjoyable games with ambitious sights.

The problem is that I think that Enslaved is goint to be passed for may people, and that´s not fair.

If Capcom is allowing a DMC sequel made with Unreal Engine 3 and buggy, under 30 frames per second framerate... definitely things are changing, but not in my way. DMC is the paradigm of rock-solid 60 frames gameplay. The PAL translation of the original DMC was unnaceptable... and now 30 frames and almost sure trembling and crying... Oh my god.

Regards.

Picked it up yesterday (alongside Naruto UNS2) at Gamestop (20 bucks + traded in 4 old-ass games for it. Fairly good deal) and I'm a bit pissed at the whole surround debacle. How the fuck does something like that make it through the testing stage? My PS3 is hooked up to my tv with HDMI, and the tv (which has a built in DD5.1 decoder, but none of the more advanced stuff like linear multi channel PCM) is connected to the receiver with a fibre optics cable. I guess that means I'm stuck with stereo sound, right?

Picked it up yesterday (alongside Naruto UNS2) at Gamestop (20 bucks + traded in 4 old-ass games for it. Fairly good deal) and I'm a bit pissed at the whole surround debacle. How the fuck does something like that make it through the testing stage? My PS3 is hooked up to my tv with HDMI, and the tv (which has a built in DD5.1 decoder, but none of the more advanced stuff like linear multi channel PCM) is connected to the receiver with a fibre optics cable. I guess that means I'm stuck with stereo sound, right?

Is your PS3 also connected directly to your receiver with toslink? Because otherwise I don't see how anything has changed for you.

The sound is atrocious.

The problem is that the game is fairly good, but the inmersion is exterminated (in my particular case) because of audio.

That´s strange, because sound in Heavenly Sword is absolutely phenomenal, and the way sound is handled by cell is usually the same in the majority of cases I thougth (a SPU is reserved in order to decode the audio stream, at low level).

I wonder if the problem is with the data and the high level code that "prepare" the sound stream.

And I wonder if the sound affaire is related with any kind of lack of resources. We all know that UE3 has performance issues in PS3, but I´m not certain in the relation between those issues and the poor sound.

It´s the first time I found a game with these audio problems in PS3, and I own more than 60...

Greetings

No, it's not. And what do you mean by nothing has changed?

Because the reported issue is that audio sent directly from the PS3 via optical (toslink) to the receiver is only stereo. However, in your case you're sending the audio via HDMI to the TV, which is 5.1, and the TV is then sending a 5.1 feed to your receiver.

So, as Arwin said, nothing has changed for you and you should be getting the full 5.1 sound.

Could it be that it only works if I send uncompressed 5.1 over HDMI? To clarify this: I haven't even installed the game yet, but I don't get any surround sound in the demo. (and demos usually behave exactly like the retail versions)

Honestly, I don't know.

What is your TV make and model btw? It could be that it doesn't touch (decode) the audio feed at all if you're sending it via optical to a receiver?

Back