Ni No Kuni: The Another World

Yeah, fair enough. The list seems sort of half classically-respected artists, and half newb-trendy trash. I'm almost surprised the GTO guy didn't make the list. ;p Still, I have to assume they almost entirely interviewed males to come up with this list.

Yeah. God, it's like being trapped in a coffin just to think of Nausicaa. It's so powerful and relevant and basically nobody outside of Japan has even heard of it. >_< Ah well...

First 15 minutes of DS gameplay:

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/12/08/level-5-ship-600000-copies-of-ni-no-kuni/

Ni no Kuni is significant in part because it marks the first time Studio Ghibli, who are renowned for the quality of their animated productions, have seriously invested themselves in the development of a game. It shouldn’t come as a surprise that Level 5, who originally developed the game in celebration of their 10th anniversary, have high expectations of it.

Now we know just how high. Ni no Kuni: The Jet-Black Sorcerer is slated for release on December 9th in Japan. Level 5 held a presentation on the game attended by the Japanese press earlier today, where it was revealed that the initial shipment for Ni no Kuni is in the range of 600,000 units, in line with initial orders from retailers.

I don't know if you guys have seen this. its the complete PS3 demo explained in english while playing by some guy ! The game is looking really good on the PS3. I was wondering if the 2D style would look good in 3D or not, but this seems really good.

still watching it. The guy says the battle system is really simple. If the characters and the world turn out as charming as Miyazaki worlds are, and the battle system is simple, i would like to get it. But I read somewhere , in twitter or somewhere, that Miyazaki is not involved in this at all :( !

This is going to be one of the first titles I buy when I get a Nintendo 3DS. They need to hurry up and launch that already. :p

Regards,
SB

I don't know if you guys have seen this. its the complete PS3 demo explained in english while playing by some guy ! The game is looking really good on the PS3. I was wondering if the 2D style would look good in 3D or not, but this seems really good.

Ah, I missed that video. Ghibli and Level5 modelled the entire cartoon world in 3D.

The portable DS version and the large screen PS3 version play completely differently as they should be. Too bad the game doesn't have Move support. Sony should work with them to add it in -- if it makes sense. I remember the game has a magic book. The protagonist seems to have a wand.

I heard once that the hand drawn cutscenes of thr DS version will be real time graphics on the PS3 :( ! I think thats bad, cos the whole charm is of the hand drawn Ghibli look. The quirky animation n all. Thats what we love, isn't it?
Is it true, they won't be in the PS3 version and will be replaced by real time 3 D animations?

Yes, that's what I heard. It's a 3D rendered world as seen above.

I don't know if they can take their charm to the 3D medium. I guess we will find out when the game is ready.

New Ni no Kuni video:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/30/hino_top_runner/

During the conversation scene between Oliver and his mother, Hino goes into the debug screen to take control of the camera in order to prove to everyone that it's a real time scene. Hino said that they're currently looking into if they should give players the ability to change the camera angles freely during the drama scenes in the final version.

Tanaka asks Hino why he decided to make the PS3 version. Hino responded the game was made at the level of a movie, so they wanted to be able to deliver it closer to the state of a movie.

Best cel shading and art yet, although I'd like to see full quality grabs to see what IQ is like. Jaggy outlines will be quite a detraction.

Looks excellent. Could imagine some interesting MMO settings that were rendered this way too, not to mention rerenderings of famous anime/cartoons that you can experience while walking around in it freely as a kind of 'ghost' or even interactive character.

Now for that Move support to make it perfect ... ;)

Looks excellent. Could imagine some interesting MMO settings that were rendered this way too, not to mention rerenderings of famous anime/cartoons that you can experience while walking around in it freely as a kind of 'ghost' or even interactive character.

Make Nausicaa's dying world PLEASE !
Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke and Tonari no Totoro are interesting too.
[EDIT: and… and.. Laputa too !]

Now for that Move support to make it perfect ... ;)

Yeah, at least we'll get the magic book gameplay in the DS version -- if they use Move.

More Ni No Kuni news from Level-5:
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/23/in-less-than-three-months-ni-no-kuni-will-be-on-playstation-3/

Good news, Ni no Kuni fans. Ni no Kuni: The Queen of the Holy White Ash is still on track. Famitsu even has a release date, November 17. Ni no Kuni’s story on PS3 will be different from the Nintendo DS game, Ni no Kuni: The Jet Black Wizard.

Neither Ni no Kuni title has been announced for North America at this time. Fingers crossed their Santa Monica office is quietly localizing this.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/25/ni-no-kunis-connection-with-the-real-world/

Yes, Ni no Kuni: Queen of the White Ash looks gorgeous, but Studio Ghibli’s game is more than a pretty picture. It’s heartfelt story follows Oliver, a 13 year old boy, whose mother died in an accident.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/2...hite-ash-will-have-new-elements-just-for-ps3/

The story in Ni no Kuni: Queen of the Holy White Ash is similar to the Nintendo DS version (read about that here!), but Level-5 is adding content to the PlayStation 3 game. Players will meet new characters and explore new maps made for Queen of the Holy White Ash.

Oh ! What I would do to have an English version of this. Maybe I should just start learning Japanese and shift to Tokyo. A whole world of my gaming love lies there :love: !

Best cel shading and art yet, although I'd like to see full quality grabs to see what IQ is like. Jaggy outlines will be quite a detraction.

I really have a problem with this hyperbolic statement, as I believe, compared to Valkyria Chronicles or No More Heroes, the cel shading and art are severely lacking. With said titles a screen grab could sometimes look like a real animation capture, but with the level5 game, the eyes are almost not moving and it looks like a (not too good) amateurish fan rendered animation.

VC suffers from IQ issues. No More Heroes art is very cheap, like 1990's CGI. Why are you saying with those titles a screen capture could loko real, and then complain about the eyes no moving in Ni No Kuni?? Such a comparison needs to be made with stills, and Ni No Kuni looks very similar to Studio Ghibli's other works. Look at this vid (we have so few vids of this game) and every still captured looks just like a Ghibli movie (ignoring HUD elements)! The polygonal characters are the only giveaway in stills. We haven't got high enough shots to evaluate the edge drawing, but I hope they use proper AA'd lines.

Yeah VC l;looks great but could do with some AA. Though I think some of the other Anime inspired games like Naruto and the Atelier games deserve some mention as being up their in cell shading quality as well.

I don't disagree, but this isn't the 'best ever cel shaded game' thread, but a specific game thread. ;) I think I called VC "best cel shaded game ever' when it launched, and I certainly complimented Naruto's look when it came out. In the PS2 days, games like Rogue Galaxy and DQ were only let down by the low-quality IQ. Rogue Galaxy with considerable AA would look pretty awesome. If devs can get a good AA solution on their outlines, and that's definitely possible now, I dare say we'll have little left to go. Next-gen, with smooth models and more sophisticated animation, may be see perfection of this style, which would be an awesome accomplishment. The fact that Studio Ghibli are working on this is tremendous. I wonder if they are interested in developing similar 3D worlds for their own films?

Back