Ni No Kuni: The Another World

"Grave of the Fireflies" is a very sad movie.

Really?!?! The name is so magical ! I searched thru my collection and realised I never had its DVD and its DVD isn't available in India. You have piqued my interest even more, looks like I will have to go torrent hunting !

sad? I never saw that the older brother was getting food for him and his sister but they didnt portray hardship that well I thought, there are certainly sadder tales out there.
@patsu "Howl's Moving Castle" was contravaluted? crap, his worse film (though still great since miyizaki cant do a wrong step, hes like kubrick or kurosawa et al, in he just cant make a bad film, though kubricks eyes wide shut certainly was close, actually thinking about it kurosawas last was also not so good (about the sea rising into a house, good allegory, crap tale) )

sad? I never saw that the older brother was getting food for him and his sister but they didnt portray hardship that well I thought, there are certainly sadder tales out there.

"Graveyard of Fireflies" not sad enough for you ? :oops:
What kinda childhood did you have !? :p

@patsu "Howl's Moving Castle" was contravaluted? crap, his worse film (though still great since miyizaki cant do a wrong step, hes like kubrick or kurosawa et al, in he just cant make a bad film, though kubricks eyes wide shut certainly was close, actually thinking about it kurosawas last was also not so good (about the sea rising into a house, good allegory, crap tale) )

"Howl's Moving Castle" was magical. That's it. :devilish: I didn't bother to analyze it. ^_^

I didn't like "Ponyo by the Cliff" too.

As charming as "Ponyo" is, IMHO, the movie didn't hit as high as some of his prior work. :)

As he searches for new grounds, it is perfectly ok to lose some of us sometimes. Not a big deal at all.

"Graveyard of Fireflies" not sad enough for you ?
well I mean compared to say lilya 4-ever http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0300140/ or dancer in the dark or something like that

"Ponyo by the Cliff" is too recent for me, I havent seen it, as it aint hit the bargain video shelf yet
The major problem with howls moving castle is it was overdone too much eg (not real example) say theres a telephone onscreen, well it couldnt just be a telephone, it had to be a telephone with a dancing french speaking termit that lived in the receiver. the problem was I believe since it was his first film after the huge hit "spirited away" he felt a heap of pressure, thus upped the ante(*)

(*)eg similar to peter jackson after lord of the rings

Miyazaki hates technologies:
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/07/17/hayao-miyazakis-thoughts-on-the-ipad/

“For me, there is no feeling of admiration or no excitement whatsoever,” Miyazaki reportedly said about the iPad. “It’s disgusting. On trains, the number of those people doing that strange masturbation-like gesture is multiplying.” He recalls he felt similarly fed up when the trend of using cell phones and reading manga on trains broke out.

Miyazaki goes on to compare the iPad trend to the 1960s, where people carried cassette players with them. His problem, it would appear, is that the majority of people use technology only as consumers, and not to create or be productive. In fact, Miyazaki’s thoughts closely reflect those of Gundam creator, Yoshiyuki Tomino.

In the past, Miyazaki has revealed that he doesn’t own a computer. In reply to an interviewer inquiring as to whether or he used the Internet, he replied, “I don’t have a computer or fax. I don’t have a DVD player either and I forgot how to use a video recorder. I even seldom watch television.”

Naturally, Miyazaki is in no way involved with Ni no Kuni, Level 5’s upcoming PS3 and DS RPG, for which Studio Ghibli are providing the artwork and animation.

I understand where he's coming from. If you watch "The Making of Spirited Away", you'd see that most of the young Japanese in Studio Ghibli has lost touched with nature and life. They can no longer relate to what Miyazaki experienced as a child.

Sadly, it's the same everywhere else I visited.

However, I believe a good video game developer can instill curiosity about life in their games just like a good movie can inspire people.

well I mean compared to say lilya 4-ever http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0300140/ or dancer in the dark or something like that

"Ponyo by the Cliff" is too recent for me, I havent seen it, as it aint hit the bargain video shelf yet
The major problem with howls moving castle is it was overdone too much eg (not real example) say theres a telephone onscreen, well it couldnt just be a telephone, it had to be a telephone with a dancing french speaking termit that lived in the receiver. the problem was I believe since it was his first film after the huge hit "spirited away" he felt a heap of pressure, thus upped the ante(*)

(*)eg similar to peter jackson after lord of the rings

I strongly disagree, it wasn't overdone at all imo, and if u think so, then don't get your hopes high for Ponyo by the Cliff, for your thoughts from Howls moving castle will definitly apply.

And another anime title worth mentioning (not by Ghibli, Bones and Bandai co-produced?) wich deserved an action/adventure game imo is Wolf's Rain. Has an amazing soundtrack by yoko kano and the story has amazing characters and plots.

Of course, if everyone followed his ideals, he'd be out of a job as his creations only exist and are shared thanks to technology...

No no no no. His frustration isnt because of technology itself. Its the way technology is often used, that people become too dependent on technology, how it makes them mimic trends etc. It is true that people become passive and materialists especially in urban places.
He doesnt mind technology being used creatively and with a limit

I strongly disagree, it wasn't overdone at all imo, and if u think so, then don't get your hopes high for Ponyo by the Cliff, for your thoughts from Howls moving castle will definitly apply.

I also :love: Howl's Moving Castle.

No no no no. His frustration isnt because of technology itself. Its the way technology is often used, that people become too dependent on technology, how it makes them mimic trends etc. It is true that people become passive and materialists especially in urban places.

Yes, instead of interacting with life and nature directly, modern technologies allow people to abstract/simplify life. People also don't live like the prior generations anymore. Something is lost in the process.

e.g., In Spirited Away, Sen fed the River God's pill to Haku the dragon to cure him. In the "Making of Spirited Away", Miyazaki described the animation as "feeding medicine to your pet dog".

Unfortunately, none of the young artists in Studio Ghibli has a dog (They all live in small city apartments). They had to visit the vet to observe the process.

Miyazaki also described a falling dragon as "snake falling down from a tree". Again, it's no longer a common sight.

The man drew inspiration from his childhood. All the nuances in his animations are observed from real life. He felt that "Japanese culture is doomed".

I think he is unhappy that people are distracted by the sexiness of modern technologies instead of observing and experiencing nature (e.g., dealing with Love Plus virtual girlfriends instead of dating real women :) ?)

EDIT: The Gundam creator, mentioned briefly in the article, felt that games are a waste of precious time. I think it's because these games do not teach the players anything.

I don't disagree with those sentiments, but if like him, everyone else didn't watch DVDs, videos or TV, all those creations wouldn't be shared and he wouldn't have his current job. :p Plus it's unfair to expect everyone to use technology creatively when most people aren't creative. The world is made of different people with different loves and abilities, that work together. There are creators and consumers, just as there are people who repair cars and people who view cars only as a transport who'll pay those who love repairing cars to serve that job for them. We shouldn't all be expected to delight in hands-on engineering and want to service our cars ourselves, or all delight in cooking and spend ages preparing quality meals ourselves, or love creating and make our own stories ourselves. Instead we share each other's talents and passions.

That's not to say excessive technology isn't detrimental, only "His problem, it would appear, is that the majority of people use technology only as consumers, and not to create or be productive" is unfair and, according to that statement which isn't a direct quote of Miyazki so may not be accurate, is viweing all people as like himself instead of recognising and valuing the differences.

Ah, I think he spoke from the view of a creator. Life is important as a source of original inspiration and imaginations because we experience it differently. What's presented in a DVD is a partial view, or abstraction, of someone else's creations.

Without DVD, he'd rely on live shows and art galleries to seek his audience.

All this makes me wonder if he's even going to like the game. It seems like a waste of talent to me to use his studios work for what essentially looks like a Pokemon game. Something like SotC or The Last Guardian would be a much better fit.

Well... his students can apply his teaching on future subject matters. ^_^

I think the movie, Walle, is essentially saying the same thing. Everyone was interacting through the touch screen to see the world, instead of feeling the world around them through their own senses.

I agree they should get Ueda and Jenova Chen to critic the game. :p

EDIT:
Siliconera has a short writeup on the top 10 artists that changed manga history:

1. Osamu Tezuka (Astro Boy)
2. Akira Toriyama (Dr. Slump, Dragon Ball)
3. Hiroshi Fujimoto and Motou Abiko (Doraemon)
4. Eiichiro Oda (One Piece)
5. Takehiko Inoue (Slam Dunk)
6. Shigeru Mizuki (GeGeGe no Kitaro)
7. Fujio Akatsuka (Tensai Bakabon)
8. Machiko Hasegawa (Sazae-san)
9. Hayao Miyazaki (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind)
10. Osamu Akimoto (Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kōen Mae Hashutsujo)
10. Naoki Urasawa (Monster, 20th Century Boys)
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/07/17/the-top-ten-manga-ka-that-changed-manga-history/

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/08/31/level5_tgs_plans/

Level-5 tends to have a big Tokyo Game Show booth. This year, expect the company's booth to be packed as such long awaited titles as Ni no Kuni PS3 and Danbol Senki go playable for the first time.

The company announced its preliminary lineup of games today. Set to get both the video and playable treatment are:

Ni no Kuni (DS)
Ni no Kuni (PS3)
Ni no Kuni Hotroit Stories (Mobile)
Mystery Room (DS)
Danbol Senki (PSP)
Kyabajoppi (Mobile)
Inazuma Eleven 3 (DS, Family Corner)

Wow, that Silicon Era list seems pretty sophomoric. How does Akira Toriyama make that list, but not Otomo, Shirow, or Oshii, or even Rumik..? Crazy fanboy drivel. Also, I can certainly see Miyazaki worthy of such a list, but I still prefer the Ghibli directed by Isao Takahata.

Anyway, back on topic, game looks cute. I do agree with you, patsu -- Nausicaa is long overdue for an RPG. it's such a well-fleshed out and... conflicted world. I thought Ponyo was pure genius, but I think turning it into an RPG would suck all of the wonder and magic out of it. Most Ghibli movies are pure flights of fancy. Porco Rosso might work well for a video game, though.

I think those names are more familiar to western audience. The siliconera.com list was compiled by surveying Japanese manga readers. You can guess from the list that they are pretty old manga readers too. ^_^

Nausicaa is the crown jewel. At this point, I think I won't see a Nausicaa video game in my life time. Life sucks sometimes.

Back