NextGen Audio: Tempest Engine, Project Acoustics, Windows Sonic, Dolby Atmos, DTS X

Why are so many of you assuming I have only used cheap headphones? It's precisely that I won't settle for cheap that makes me reluctant to purchase what I would consider "adequate“ headphones for gaming given that my experience so far with headphones purchased for private gaming/movie/music listening has led me to believe they would end up sitting in a drawer.
Ok, but expensive doesn’t mean comfortable... I was trying to say that there is likely a solution that you might find more comfortable.

I wish you lot would stop banging on about audio, I'm now regretting not pre-ordering the Pulse 3D headphones which I convinced myself I didn't need. Fortunately they're out of stock everywhere.

You all suck. :yep2:
Lol.
I haven’t been following. Is there something the 3D pulse do that a pair of high end phones won’t ?

2 camps, one says Sony put the complete’tempest benefits’ behind a paywall and the other is the common sense that the 3D pulse are just marketed as having an advantage.
It's gotta be the latter. I can't see 3D pulse having that type of benefit over standard phones, it just doesn't make logical sense to me.

I'm probably getting old as I find the idea of headphones very appealing. At the moment I have no interest on setting up 5.1 or better speaker setup. When I was younger I was all about home theater setups.

I'm the opposite as I get older I find I much prefer the comfort and convenience of a good multi-channel receiver. When I was younger I preferred headphones (I have something like 30 different headphones from 20+ years ago) because who would want to use a stereo setup and be limited to listening to music only at home?

Now, I much prefer the comfort of not having something on my head, on my ears or in my ears. The only time I use a headset for anything now is long phone calls or trips on an airplane.

Regards,
SB

I have a pretty good setup, but so much gets lost vs using headphones - I really don’t get the preference unless it’s to do with feeling the sounds

On the subject of using Dolby Atmos in the new consoles, Vincent from HDTVTest has some insights about using it in games, at the 7m30s mark:

To summarize, having the Atmos processing (from digital objects to speaker output) in the AV receivers often lead to high latency, which is something we can't really adjust in games.

Probably the best choice even on xbox users will be to set the output to LPCM to get the console to do the speaker distribution, and not the AV receiver.

To summarize, having the Atmos processing (from digital objects to speaker output) in the AV receivers often lead to high latency, which is something we can't really adjust in games.

Probably the best choice even on xbox users will be to set the output to LPCM to get the console to do the speaker distribution, and not the AV receiver.

Would that still let the AVRs do their speaker adjustments, like what was configured through Audyssey or other calibration setups?

Would that still let the AVRs do their speaker adjustments, like what was configured through Audyssey or other calibration setups?

Supposedly, yes.
Audyssey, MCACC and similar AFAIK only adjust phase, amplitude and perhaps a bit of equalization from the output of each speaker. It should actually be simpler to apply those straightforward DSP operations on the already decompressed/decoded signals that LPCM carries, unlike what happens with Dolby / DTS streams that need to be decompressed beforehand.

I think the only ones being left out are those with tightly integrated Atmos soundbars that really only send audio to their "height" channels when receiving an Atmos signal.
Not that height channels were ever going to be great on soundbars, though.

Supposedly, yes.
Audyssey, MCACC and similar AFAIK only adjust phase, amplitude and perhaps a bit of equalization from the output of each speaker. It should actually be simpler to apply those straightforward DSP operations on the already decompressed/decoded signals that LPCM carries, unlike what happens with Dolby / DTS streams that need to be decompressed beforehand.

I think the only ones being left out are those with tightly integrated Atmos soundbars that really only send audio to their "height" channels when receiving an Atmos signal.
Not that height channels were ever going to be great on soundbars, though.
I had one of those before my full setup - quite expensive and not amazing. You get the odd over-head sound, but I think it needs to be at just the right frequency to bounce off the ceiling and give that Atmos effect, and the range of frequencies at which this happens is quite narrow. Overall, bit underwhelming. This soundbar is now relegated to the guest room and we use it for our rare garden parties.

Nah. Also this was all his speculation, we have no idea if this even an actual issue or, if it is, how big of one it might be.

Nah. Also this was all his speculation, we have no idea if this even an actual issue or, if it is, how big of one it might be.

His experience in Dolby Atmos setups creating lots of latency in the home theaters he set up aren't speculation.

This 3D binaural audio... I just listened Dancing on the Ceiling by Lionel Richie, from 1986.
I was slightly surprised it had very convincing 3D audio in the beginning as someone walks upstairs.
Listened on Spotify, not sure if that effect was on vinyl in '86.

I had one of those before my full setup - quite expensive and not amazing. You get the odd over-head sound, but I think it needs to be at just the right frequency to bounce off the ceiling and give that Atmos effect, and the range of frequencies at which this happens is quite narrow. Overall, bit underwhelming. This soundbar is now relegated to the guest room and we use it for our rare garden parties.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/11/09/ps5-the-ultimate-faq/#otherquestions

PS5 will support the following audio formats:

• Dolby Digital (max 5.1ch)
  • Dolby Digital Plus (max 7.1ch)
  • Dolby TrueHD (max 7.1ch)
  • DTS (max 5.1ch)
  • DTS-HD High Resolution Audio (max 7.1ch)
  • DTS-HD Master Audio (max 7.1ch)
  • AAC (max 5.1ch)
  • Linear PCM (max 7.1ch)
  • Dolby ATMOS and DTS:X available for Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray disc video (when connected to a supported device)

Back