Next Generation on X360 Marketing

pipo

Veteran
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2434&Itemid=2

Next Generation's new regular column is dedicated to the world of marketing campaigns. Our columnist - an experienced games marketer working under a pseudonym - starts by looking at one of the most important campaigns in the industry's history. He's not impressed...

Conspiracy theorists think this shortage was part of Microsoft’s plan to drive awareness, increase purchase intent (scarcity breeds demand), and Microsoft’s stock price. But it was all down to error. Xbox 360 is a natural winner, a highly demanded product backed up by some good games. But that doesn't mean everything about the way it was sold has been perfect.

First of all, let's talk about product positioning. Microsoft stated that 360 was designed "to create a living entertainment experience powered by human energy.” Huh? And the product benefit is what exactly?

Frankly, this kind of positioning statement is woolly. In the real world bicycles are an experience powered by human energy. Do you have to generate your own electricity to operate 360? Is the new Xbox a piece of home exercise equipment?

:LOL:

Most of his points are a bit weak though, IMHO. But I agree with the conclusion.

What I can't understand is the spending behind a massive PR effort (including an MTV launch) to hype the heck out of something and then not use advertising (with its broad reach and Microsoft’s massive throw weight) to make it all clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya, it's really a matter of why spend money advertising something that no-one can buy.

On a related note, I just saw my first real bad-ass X360 trailer on TV, it was for Ghost Recon AW. I think we'll beging to see a much much bigger marketing campaign coming in the later half of this year leading up to X-mas.

Is the "marketer" wholly ignorant of brand marketing? This quote seemed especially wrong:
What a consumer hopes to learn from product positioning is what the bloody thing does.
That is not the goal of product positioning. It's to drive interest, raise brand awareness, and further brand goals. He even knocks the name. This kind of shallow thinking is why Microsoft has product names like SQL Server and Word and other names that "say what it does" but not much more. I'd love to hear his thoughts on the iPod name.

Back