Next-Generation NVMe SSD and I/O Technology [PC, PS5, XBSX|S]

I had to keep everything on my SDD/HDD due to my 40Mb/s internet connection taking too long to re-download things if I needed them, but now that I have a Gigabit connection I just download as I need them now.

I used to think that but I'm planning to replace by 4TB HDD with a big SATA SDD as soon as possible due the noise it makes. Currently my HDD spinning is the noisiest part of my PC when not gaming.

Lol, HDD noise. Are you also getting PTSD when you hear a lawnmower outside?

Anyways, your money.

I really don't expect wonders. Getting graphics quality higher (well that's what the consoles are all about in the last generations) will be quite hard. Diminishing returns are really "visible" in the last years. And that has not only to do with the the support for the last generation. It get's just really hard to create such a visual difference like e.g. FarCry -> Crysis did more than 10 years ago.
I really dont agree. Diminishing returns always exist, but there's still huge room for improvement possible. UE5 demos alone are demonstrating all sorts of aspects that have been lacking up til now, and it will hardly be alone in being able to push much more impressive technical presentation on the whole.

I think the only thing that might genuinely hold things back is if the whole '60fps as standard' thing genuinely takes hold and this becomes the new baseline for all games. This will absolutely reduce the scope for what can be pushed.

I agree with the noise. That's why my 2 pcs and my nas are full ssds. I can't go back to hdds...
My reason for going all SSD and not having any large HDD connected is the time it takes to access in File Explorer... hearing the dumb thing start to spin up and having to wait forever for it to open.

I still have my 8TB HDD, but it's externally housed now and I only connect it when I want to use it for whatever reason.

I agree with the noise. That's why my 2 pcs and my nas are full ssds. I can't go back to hdds...
I wish I could switch to solid state storage in my NAS but my Synology provides 16Gb total storage with about 5Gb free - using Synology's SHR RAID setup. I consider myself as having ample disposable income but the prospect of moving from HDD to SSD in the NAS brings me out in a cold sweat. It's roughly £120 per terabyte of solid state storage at today's market prices, and it's not read/write speeds that are the issue but network speeds for me.

But I would love to have the option of using a compact Synology unit with four M2 slots for drives. That would just be awesome! :yes:

Does any ssd ever make a noise? Like coil whine?

Heaven forbid you attempt to go back to a PS4 Pro... The noise is insane.
It sounds great! Unlike the hdd with its often non rhythmic clicks clacks, PS4 pro is vroom vroom

More vroom = I know it's working hard

Think of it as muscle car!

What? Were you saying something?

We’re deep into diminishing returns on wow factor of how next gen screenshots look — nowhere near diminishing returns on how actual games look on the hardware in motion. Just about every part of every frame is horrifically bad right now in terms of accuracy, breadth of subjects, stability, but the audience is conditioned to expect certain compromises and graphics have basically maximized what you can do within those compromises

(my opinion on the other convo: ssds are totally worth it for silence alone if you live/work in a quiet room, despite the cost)

We’re deep into diminishing returns on wow factor of how next gen screenshots look — nowhere near diminishing returns on how actual games look on the hardware in motion. Just about every part of every frame is horrifically bad right now in terms of accuracy, breadth of subjects, stability, but the audience is conditioned to expect certain compromises and graphics have basically maximized what you can do within those compromises

(my opinion on the other convo: ssds are totally worth it for silence alone if you live/work in a quiet room, despite the cost)

The last true leap was going from PS3 to PS4 i think, but already there we began to see dminishing returns. PSX>PS2 was quite the leap, so was to the PS3 in many regards. After that things have been smaller improvements. The largest hype this generation was load times. Go figure.

Talking about it

Last edited:
I wish I could switch to solid state storage in my NAS but my Synology provides 16Gb total storage with about 5Gb free - using Synology's SHR RAID setup. I consider myself as having ample disposable income but the prospect of moving from HDD to SSD in the NAS brings me out in a cold sweat. It's roughly £120 per terabyte of solid state storage at today's market prices, and it's not read/write speeds that are the issue but network speeds for me.

But I would love to have the option of using a compact Synology unit with four M2 slots for drives. That would just be awesome! :yes:

I feel you. I had already a Qnap 932x, and I saw a big promo on 4tb samsung 860 evo at some point, so I bought 5 of them for my main volume in raid 5 ,around 13tb. The 4 slot lefts are for 4 1tb crucial Mx500. 1 volume in raid 1 for the system+apps+some storage, 1 in jbod for some iscsi stuff, aaaannnd 1 as a spare for the system volume. On the raid 5 volume, the cpu is limiting the write speed around 730-770mo/sec via smb3. With is great already (yeah, my lan is 10gb for my main stuff).
It's not a lot of TBs, but enough for my need, as most of my "cold" stuff are on my gdrive workspace account.

Sorry for the OT :D

Last edited:
Lol, HDD noise. Are you also getting PTSD when you hear a lawnmower outside?

Anyways, your money.

I want complete silence from my PC, at least when it's not gaming. At the moment I have my fans set so that in a silent room I have to strain to be able to hear the PC at all while the HDD's idle, while sitting right next to it. But when the HDD's spinning there's a constant, albeit reasonably quiet whirring.

A few years back I bought two identical HDDs to use in a raid config for my windows install. Good quality Toshiba drives, that reviewed well.

Problem was that they made a constant, low whine while spinning and their identical nature turned it into a chorus of angst. It was the kind of sound that your ears would lock in on; the kind of sound that penetrated everything, even time.

This is actual footage of me and people in my house when it was running:

Last edited:
The last true leap was going from PS3 to PS4 i think,
I mean, thanks in part to Covid and in part to market strategy we haven’t really seen non-crossgen new console only tech since the ps4, it’s a bit early to say this leap was smaller. There are clear opportunities for future huge leaps though — look at ~60fps path tracing tech demos on the 3090 — and there’s tons of room to go from there:

I mean, thanks in part to Covid and in part to market strategy we haven’t really seen non-crossgen new console only tech since the ps4, it’s a bit early to say this leap was smaller. There are clear opportunities for future huge leaps though — look at ~60fps path tracing tech demos on the 3090 — and there’s tons of room to go from there:

Yes, but thats on a RTX 3090, a tech demo. its possible on that kind of hardware, the thing is how many studios are going to concentrate on such hw? From PS4 to PS5 were in dimishing returns. From PSX to PS2 was huge, smaller from PS2 to PS3 etc etc. This generation has seen the smallest jump in pure hardware terms.

Certainly not any this generation, but in another generation or two for sure — the approach they’re demoing is fundamentally practical.

Yeah we'l get there. Funding and developing high budget AAA games is costly and time consuming these days, with the return of investment being what it is. Its not that its not enough what we got, and comparing to a decade or twenty years ago isnt fair either.
With RT and smaller devs getting access to better tools/engines its not impossible we will be seeing another 'Crysis' or Doom 3/Hl2 etc again. Look at black myth for example. Not every studio is being held back by the consoles. Scaling also has made huge strides the last two decades.

C’mon Scrooge McDuck. 16 GB SSDs can be had for the cost a Happy Meal. Plus what is this setup for? GIFs, tweets and Tik Tok videos? JJ (I couldn’t help myself) LOL

Believe me when I say once cross gen is over, the leap will be bigger than PS3 to PS4. Maybe even PS2 to PS3.

Not only because the graphics will improve by a ton (Matrix Demo continues to wow people in that regard, so even in terms of pure graphics the statement that there won't be big leaps is false), but also because the worlds will feel MUCH more alive. Basically, gameplay and physics are still on PS3 level with the current games.

With the new Ryzen CPUs and RDNA2 being capable of fast ML in real time, the worlds will have realistic physics, NPCs, interactivity and completely new gameplay mechanics.

Think of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Why is this game so beloved by many? Because they implemented a solid physics system people can use to do all sorts of crazy stuff the developers never intended and thus create their own stories. Next gen gaming is going to be that, just turned up to 100. You will have a living, breathing world simulated on your hardware.

NPCs will be aware of what you do in their game world and react accordingly. You will be able to speak with them off-script indepenend from what the game developers hard-coded using natural language processors, so they will feel like real friends or foes.

Kick a chair and it will fall properly (and break if its very instable), instead of gliding on the floor like toothpaste in space.

Water will flow like real water and you will be able to manipulate the game world with it. A house will actually flood realistically if you forget to turn off the water when the sink drain is blocked, the water can reach wall outlets and kill you.

Weather will have a significant effect on the game world and gameplay. A hot summer in the game world for example will limit supply which in turn will increase the price of stuff you can buy in the game.

You will be able to interact with EVERYTHING. And I mean everything. Thanks to real time Raytracing, baked light maps are a thing of the past so you will get high quality lighting with 100% interactivity.

RTR allows for light based puzzles and gameplay elements that were simply not possible before.

And a lot more!

There perhaps has never been a generation of consoles in the 3D area after the N64 that were so bottlenecked by the previous generation. I really can't wait for cross gen to be finally over.

Back