Next-Gen nV-part to be Cell-based?

azopi

Newcomer
As we already know, both NV48 and NV50 has been cancelled. Both of them would have been a traditional SM3.0 (or 3.0+) unit. What can we expect from nV in 2005?

Regarding the cross-license agreement between nV and Sony, it’s possible that nV will use Cell technology in the next part. nV has already signed such an agreement with IBM, the main owner of Cell’s IPs.

Why?

We know, that in PS3 the graphics tasks will be calculated by the Cell but not a dedicated hardware.
Sony will use nV technology in PS3.
Longhorn and WGF 2.0 will be out in 2006.
WGF 2.0 will use a unified PS-VS instruction and register set.
ATI’s R500 (which is XBox2’s graphical solution.) seems to be very similar to Cell since it’s also going to be a pool of almost-general purpose ALUs. We know, that ATI decided to use Unified Shader Model in R500 and on the PC market, the R6XX product-line. It seems to be a logical move from nVidia to follow ATI (and, which is much more important to follow MS) and make their next-gen part USM-ready. And I suppose Cell technology could be capable to do this. What do you think?

I do not think Nvidia's next major GPU will be Cell-based. the GPU for PS3 is being made to work with Cell-CPU in PS3. that GPU is based on Nvidia's next architecture but is probably not Cell-based either. the next desktop GPU is probably going to be based on SM 4.0 / DirectX Next, if not something a bit short of that.

We know, that in PS3 the graphics tasks will be calculated by the Cell but not a dedicated hardware.

not true. PS3 graphics will be calculated by a GPU, with probably assistance from the Cell-CPU. PS3 will have dedicated graphics hardware. maybe I misinterpreted what you said, though.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm-kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

My question is, will there be an AGP version?

Megadrive1988 said:
I do not think Nvidia's next major GPU will be Cell-based. the GPU for PS3 is being made to work with Cell-CPU in PS3. that GPU is based on Nvidia's next architecture but is probably not Cell-based either. the next desktop GPU is probably going to be based on SM 4.0 / DirectX Next, if not something a bit short of that.

not true. PS3 graphics will be calculated by a GPU, with probably assistance from the Cell-CPU. PS3 will have dedicated graphics hardware. maybe I misinterpreted what you said, though.

since when has sony used PC base architecture in their consoles?
they allways went by "the more diffrent, the better" approach, as we can see with the PS2 gpu. so i realy dont think that they`ll sudenly turn away from it, and go for a DX based MS dictated architecture.

so i realy dont think that they`ll sudenly turn away from it, and go for a DX based MS dictated architecture.
I really don't think Microsoft dictates to the IHVs what it wants in terms of features in the next generation of cards, and then ATI/NV run off to build to that spec. Rather MS writes the D3D API around the common functionality present in the chips ATI/NV have already begun to design. MS's role is mostly a reactive rather than proactive one.

since when has sony used PC base architecture in their consoles?
they allways went by "the more diffrent, the better" approach, as we can see with the PS2 gpu.
Sony was not trying to be different for the sake of being different, they simply misjudged (badly) the direction the industry was going. They've learned from their mistake, it seems, and are now actively rectifying it.

akira888 said:
so i realy dont think that they`ll sudenly turn away from it, and go for a DX based MS dictated architecture.
I really don't think Microsoft dictates to the IHVs what it wants in terms of features in the next generation of cards, and then ATI/NV run off to build to that spec. Rather MS writes the D3D API around the common functionality present in the chips ATI/NV have already begun to design. MS's role is mostly a reactive rather than proactive one.

ever heared of the SM3.0 ;) when its spec where laid down there was no hardware to support it, after that nVIDIA designed the GF6 line by those spec.
so me guess is that due to the "console wars", sony will try to alienate the PS3`s hardware as much a she can, including the GPU.

Forget "Cell-based." I wanna know if nV is going to sell us a PS3 on a card, as they did with the "Saturn on a card" Diamond Edge 3D. I'm talking an actual Cell CPU inside my computer, alongside my primary AMD CPU! :oops:

Super computer, indeed.

Ah, good times.

Pete said:
Forget "Cell-based." I wanna know if nV is going to sell us a PS3 on a card, as they did with the "Saturn on a card" Diamond Edge 3D. I'm talking an actual Cell CPU inside my computer, alongside my primary AMD CPU! :oops:

Super computer, indeed.

Ah, good times.

du ya want fries with that? :LOL:

Xenon GPU "similar" to Cell :?:

No reason to cry; just another good kneeslapper :devilish:

IT be nice when the ps3 comes out , that way we can see that it was all just a bunch of hype like the emotion engine before it . THen we can all go back to busniess as usual

Pete said:

Super computer, indeed.

Ah, good times.

Sorry to correct some historical errors but...

NV1 (Diamond Edge) wasn't related in any form to a SEGA Saturn.

I've had a PS1 and a early DC graphics chip on a card though. I've still got a Megadrive in a PC in the atic.
You can also get a 3DO and a CDI on a card.

DeanoC said:
NV1 (Diamond Edge) wasn't related in any form to a SEGA Saturn.

Well actually NVIDIA did have 2 Saturn controller connectors on the card and it did come with special versions of Virtua Fighter and Panzer Dragoon.

DeanoC said:
You can also get a 3DO and a CDI on a card.

I worked for Creative Labs at the time the 3DO Blaster came out. That was a cool card. I just didn't like the controller they had.

Tommy McClain

Back