Next Gen GPU architecture GCN, RDNA, Navi 10/20 (PS5 Navi Hybrid, Xbox Navi Pure) *spawn*

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by PSman1700, May 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

CPU offloading, yep.
    GPU tasks? Only thing I could think that could come close to that is when kinect was unbundled and there was hope that some of the functions would be opened up to devs. Can't remember if some could be used for things like path tracing etc.
    Do remember was bit more flexible than it was be used for, but wasn't exposed to devs. But nothing like bridging power gap or anything like that.

2. Xbat

Regular Newcomer

I am really looking forward to the improved audio of next gen. If it doesn't improve I'll never forgive Cerny :) his gotten my hopes up.

3. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

OK, the move engines I do remember getting some (undeserved) hype.

4. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

[​IMG]

Pixel, milk, Shortbread and 1 other person like this.
  5. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

But those people of the land were (are) here as well. Let's not kid ourselves...

Edit: Now I want to watch Blazing Saddles for the millionth time. Thanks mrcorbo... :rolleyes: :lol2:

AzBat likes this.
  6. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

Not in the same numbers. S/N ratio much higher here most of the time.

Shortbread likes this.
  7. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

We'll definitely get better.
    I reckon with things like the following vid and good object path traced audio combined we will finally get good 3D audio.

8. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Reality check?

9. borntosoul

Regular Newcomer

Can’t be just 15% faster, that difference would be just in 7nm let alone all the other improvements over a six year old gpu.

10. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

The sentence is obviously either mistranslated, mistranscribed or just plainly wrong. A GPU 15% faster than the PS4/Pro wouldn't put any new console on the same level as a high end PC.

Cuthalu likes this.
  11. itsmydamnation

Veteran Regular

yeah what would an artist know anyway, especially at this stage .......

12. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

Must be talking Ghz, not taking into account CU or something like that, if this had any truth to it.
    Currently 10-15% higher frequency.

Cuthalu and Pixel like this.
  13. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

The meltdowns would have been glorious. :twisted:

Sometimes I wish console gamers pain...:yep2::nope::mrgreen:<3 j/k

Cuthalu and Silent_Buddha like this.
  14. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

I don't recall any talk of Shape being used for GPU acceleration, or even much acceleration at all. It was discussed repurposing it for audio as opposed to Kinect. We knew the hardware - Tensilica DSPs - and things like move engines were on the whole recognised as relabelled AMD GPU parts. I recall some hoping to believe there was more special about them, but not any talk about graphics workloads on the DSPs; not even ray tracing (which they wouldn't be suited for).

15. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

When I stated "But those people of the land were (are) here as well. Let's not kid ourselves...," was in prior reference to those B3D members showing up on other boards misrepresenting certain information on SHAPE (move as well).

Shifty Geezer, Pixel and BRiT like this.
  16. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

Can you remember what the talk was about in regards to possibly being able to do on them was?
    Did they also model room using time of flight sensors or was that just for body?
    Was nice having belkin (sp) about because I don't remember ever seeing anything about it doing magic on gpu, he seemed disappointed that it was locked out and never opened up to devs.
    Those were the days....

17. Xbat

Regular Newcomer

Possibly early dev kit? Otherwise 10 TFlop dream is dead.

18. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Audio. ;) Spatial audio in particular (HRTF).
    It scanned the entire scene. MS provided libraries to track bodies. You could create a 3D room scan but I think that was done independently. 3D vision didn't require SHAPE though. Possibly SHAPE helped with denoising and filtering, but on the PC, Kinect vision was all CPU based. Although there was also processors in the Kinect itself that may have been doing all the signal processing, now I think about it, so I'm not sure what SHAPE's involvement was.
    bkilian

19. Tkumpathenurpahl

Veteran Newcomer

The phrasing's pretty vague though:

"From what we’ve seen so far, the clock speed of a Navi-equivalent GPU won’t be a massive amount faster than existing console hardware, but even a difference of, say, 10% to 15% in GPU compute power could mean a lot of smaller improvements across the board that lead to better-looking games."

He only refers to the clockspeed of Navi not being much faster than existing console hardware, and then goes on to state 10-15% would be enough to bring plenty of smaller improvements.

The XBoxOneX GPU is 1172MHz. If the PS5/XBoxNext GPU's are around 1400MHz, the "clock speed... won’t be a massive amount faster than existing console hardware." We could see 72CU's and 12.9TF and the statement would still hold true.

As for the 10-15% figure, I'm curious what that means. I think one possibility is that he's just throwing a number out there. But if I put on my tinfoil hat, I wonder if he's treading carefully because that's roughly the performance gap between the XBoxOneX and Lockhart? Because the only aspect of the Lockhart rumour that I don't buy is the notion of it being less powerful than the XBoxOneX.

Is a 40CU GPU clocked at 1172MHz really going to be that expensive to surpass in 2020? Even if Lockhart and Anaconda are created via binning, there's scope for something like a 44/64CU and 1200/1500MHz difference between them. In that case, even though it would play second fiddle to Anaconda's 12.29TF, Lockhart's 6.76TF would still slap around the XBoxOneX.

Cuthalu likes this.
  20. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

15% higher clock + 25% higher IPC + much more CUs that fit on a 350mm2 SoC.

It seems ok.

Shortbread likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.