Next Gen 2D Graphics

I agree on Street Fighter 4. No parry no Kara no playstyle systems(vism, Super Arts,grooves etc)Just Ultra away!...pfft next.

Thing is that I'm not good at SF3 (I get pwnwned), I just really like it and it is dripping in style.

Street Fighter 3 Third Strike (yun's push attack animation WOW!),Marvel vs Capcom 2,Jojo's Bizarre Adventure,Warzard, Super Mario World 2,Earth Worm Jim,Metal Slug 3,newer Castlevania series,Guilty Gear games(not to mention a lot of Japanese only scrolling shooters) are some of the best drawn 2d games ever made. (DKC series is not really drawn so yeah.)

Yes, sprite based animation seemed to reach a high point in the mid to late 90's then 3D kicked it square in the nuts. Algorithm controlled animation with regular sampling / rendering works better with 3D worlds and is more universally appealing I guess.

It's just when you have 3d games with excellent 3d modeling like starcraft 2, Crysis series, final fantasy XIII,GoW3, Mass Effect 3 and the Bioshock series. How do you top that?

I don't think you can top it, but I think you can do something different. Meticulously drawn sprites just seem to be too expensive in relation to the returns generated to be worth it any more. People are used to a certain presentation style, and the quirks of sprite art (like varying fluidity and less accurate reaction to world simulation) are are seen as negatives rather than the positives they can be when used skilfully.

Thing is that I'm not good at SF3 (I get pwnwned), I just really like it and it is dripping in style.

Yes, sprite based animation seemed to reach a high point in the mid to late 90's then 3D kicked it square in the nuts. Algorithm controlled animation with regular sampling / rendering works better with 3D worlds and is more universally appealing I guess.

I don't think you can top it, but I think you can do something different. Meticulously drawn sprites just seem to be too expensive in relation to the returns generated to be worth it any more. People are used to a certain presentation style, and the quirks of sprite art (like varying fluidity and less accurate reaction to world simulation) are are seen as negatives rather than the positives they can be when used skilfully.

<Dudley Throws a rose at you>

SF4,MvC3,Capcom vs Tekken, LoZ Windwaker, the 3d king of fighters, and cel shaded games from bandai show that a 3d game that looks drawn can work if you have a solid and creative art direction.

I might throw the Sly Cooper series into the mix. Even the PS3 upgrades hold up pretty well in 720P (although some texture work could've used some upgrades).

They aren't 2D, yet the way they were designed is to convey a comic look

There is definitly something to do with a next gen 2D game using modern lighting & shadowing, foreground and background plates, fog, particles, and a great parallax feel. The only game close to this is Limbo, but they used B&W to cut the budget & development time (even if the end result is really great).

I'll pay millions for a next-gen Flashback / Another World with a big budget and a modern engine.

FLASHBACK.jpg

flashback_1097546554-05.png

I felt a huge twang of nostalgia seeing the four-layer parallax scrolling in LIMBO. It was such a great feeling! Too bad that the game's just black and white all through, I would LOVE for a game with some nice, colorful 4-5 layered 2D scrolling. You rarely saw that even on the best of 2D consoles back in the day, but multilayered scrolling really does so much for the atmosphere of a game IMO. It's a tremendous boon.

I felt a huge twang of nostalgia seeing the four-layer parallax scrolling in LIMBO. It was such a great feeling! Too bad that the game's just black and white all through, I would LOVE for a game with some nice, colorful 4-5 layered 2D scrolling. You rarely saw that even on the best of 2D consoles back in the day, but multilayered scrolling really does so much for the atmosphere of a game IMO. It's a tremendous boon.

Rayman: Origins does a pretty good job with the colors though. ;)

Back