News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony's only response to that would be to use another 3rd party who they'll still end up paying, or create yet another Sony own service and try to compete, which seems pretty futile at this point.

Sony's only response to that would be to use another 3rd party who they'll still end up paying, or create yet another Sony own service and try to compete, which seems pretty futile at this point.

I don't know, I think there are benefits to Sony writing their own simple VoIP software for PS4. I mean its only for video chatting, voice chatting and texting. They could set it up like Skype so that users can make calls to mobiles/landlines/international calls using their PSN(SEN) wallet funds, thus providing a much more integrated experience than an independant Skype app.

A skype app would be quick and dirty, and it works very nicely. So I reckon it would probably be a no brainer, considering MS doesn't try to block it.

The rumoured controller with the rear touchpad which was reported as 'certainly not a dualshock' did sound surprisingly like a dualshock - so 'ORBIS dualshock' may cover a range of possibilities...

In terms of spin, it's going to be fascinating to see how the companies push the consoles:

- is MS going to have a podium with a 720 and a 720/STB on it? Or will the 720 launch at a gaming convention and the STB separately at an entertainment show?

- the rumours for PS4 seem to involve dual cameras. Is this a '3d+2d' combo or maybe a pair of 2d cameras with the software that we know Sony was working on? or is there something else? (is the camera inside the controller, or just a 'typo'?).

Should be fun anyway :).

Surely it's only got two cameras so move has a 3d image of the scene to be more accurate

Yep, that's entirely logical.

Alternatively, they may have a kinect camera + move camera. (it's been suggested by many people)

And finally they may have 2 visual cameras to do 'true' 3d stuff. (I think 3d video chat is trivial with 2 cameras? but I also seem to remember that there was a group associated with Sony working to derive a 3d scene from the images from 2 visual cameras?).

I just wonder if we might be missing something interesting...

Move doesn't need stereoscopic vision. If you're going with stereoscopic vision, you can lose Move's big glowing ball.

But stereoscopic vision would greatly enhance AR. And I do think it would help making Move tracking more accurate, actually. You can treat each invidividual image exactly as you do now, but add the option to compare their relative distance from each other in the overlay of the left and right image to increase the precision of z by quite a bit, which is currently actually its weakest point (in terms of accuracy), having an accuracy of something like 5cm, vs close to millimeter precision irc for x and y.

Z resolution can be greatly increased with camera resolution. If you're going with dual cameras, you can forgo the big, glowing ball - that's only there as a necessity for interpreting depth from image area covered, whereas a stereoscopic solution would determine depth by triangulation.

What I'm basically saying is that stereo cameras may well be there more motion tracking and AR and stuff, but if they are, move as we know it shouldn't be. The glowing ball is a negative that motion controls would be better off without (no distracting light or questionable aesthetic).

I was quite fond of glowing balls too :p

In the end, if getting rid of it in order to provide a controller system with accurate 3D positioning and full body tracking, then i think that opens up far more possibilities.

I'd be happy if both consoles had the 3D depth camera tbh. Then both could have a move-like controller (sans ball) as standard, and motion controls would be finally realised to its fullest potential.

Couldn't Sony use mumble or other open source project for voice chat ?
Mumble is tremendously better than SkyPE when it comes to bandwidth consumption and latency.

I actually like the glowing ball, for practical reasons. I know immediately which controller is which player in the game when my (4yo) son is playing Dead Storm Pirates with a friend, like now. I also like some of the other tricks games have used with it (almost ambilight type stuff, basically)/

There's other advantages too though - the ball will remain vastly easier to track with virtually no lag than almost anything else. The only other option seems to basically be use something outside of the basic camera spectrum, like the infra-red projection of Kinect, etc.

For voice chat I don't know what Sony should or should not use, but it matters little - for the PS4 it won't be much of an issue, as they will have reserved enough memory in advance, like on Vita.

BBdrkCnCIAA8fGY.png:large

what does it mean ?

I actually like the glowing ball, for practical reasons. I know immediately which controller is which player in the game when my (4yo) son is playing Dead Storm Pirates with a friend, like now. I also like some of the other tricks games have used with it (almost ambilight type stuff, basically)/

There's other advantages too though - the ball will remain vastly easier to track with virtually no lag than almost anything else. The only other option seems to basically be use something outside of the basic camera spectrum, like the infra-red projection of Kinect, etc.

For voice chat I don't know what Sony should or should not use, but it matters little - for the PS4 it won't be much of an issue, as they will have reserved enough memory in advance, like on Vita.

Agreed... "it plays SKYPE!!!1!!" isn't really an effectively USP for either console. As long as the voice chat functionality is there (and it was on the PS3 bar party chat) then consumers won't care. If anything I'd be more concerned about whether they'll be shipping a comms headset with the console. I think that certainly helped the mindshare of consumers regarding XBLA, as the view that, "everybody has a headset, so everybody can voicechat", has been a popular one that has differentiated the two services in the minds of consumers this gen.

If however both consoles ship with their kinect/PSeye2.0 style camera systems (avec mic arrays) then that will be a given and a boon for both services when it comes to online MP.

- is MS going to have a podium with a 720 and a 720/STB on it? Or will the 720 launch at a gaming convention and the STB separately at an entertainment show?.

A bit off topic, but I'd be surprised if the next Xbox had 720 anywhere in the name. Unless their marketing department is completely incompetent. 720 has the potential to create all sorts of jokes about the next Xbox being targetted at 720p games, only being to do 720p games, yada yada yada. While PS4 naturally would be targetted at 1080p games in those same internet memes.

Couldn't Sony use mumble or other open source project for voice chat ?
Mumble is tremendously better than SkyPE when it comes to bandwidth consumption and latency.

Agreed... "it plays SKYPE!!!1!!" isn't really an effectively USP for either console. As long as the voice chat functionality is there (and it was on the PS3 bar party chat) then consumers won't care.

It's all about the popularity, ubiquitousness, and robustness of Skype. For non-PC techies (IE - your average consumer) Skype has a lot more cachet. Skype instantly allows you crossplatform chat. Smartphones, PCs, next gen consoles, etc. would all be able to allow their users to voice and video chat with each other. All without having to set up any voice chat servers much with server/client settings, etc.

And any proprietary system would then limit not only the devices it could be used on, but the pool of people you could communicate with. As well as racking up additional developement costs.

Would Skype on its own be enough to get people to buy one console over another. Perhaps not. But then again it's hard to say. You could have made the same argument that something like Netflix wouldn't prompt a person to choose one console over another. But that's exactly what happened when X360 had exclusive access to Netflix for a while.

And yes, that does make a case for Microsoft making Skype exlusive to Xbox. Except in that case, they'd be hampering their efforts to make Skype the premiere voice and video chat service. So it doesn't make any business sense for Microsoft to limit what Skype can be used on.

Regards,
SB

Z resolution can be greatly increased with camera resolution. If you're going with dual cameras, you can forgo the big, glowing ball - that's only there as a necessity for interpreting depth from image area covered, whereas a stereoscopic solution would determine depth by triangulation.

What I'm basically saying is that stereo cameras may well be there more motion tracking and AR and stuff, but if they are, move as we know it shouldn't be. The glowing ball is a negative that motion controls would be better off without (no distracting light or questionable aesthetic).

Indeed, no need for the orbs, triangulation should be more than precise enough if the camera resolution and separation between them is high enough. Would be much easier to design a nice break apart controller if you can loose the orbs, maybe just some small IR LEDs would work fine for the cameras to be able to track the x/y positions. Would need some way to identify which controller is which though so coloured LEDs may still be required.

I hope the Orbis name suggests they have become overly fond of the glowing orbs though!

I dont mind the orbs given there current function, but they should be dropped if there main use is no longer required. There secondary functions could be provided in other ways, could make the entire controller have ability to glow different intensities and colours for ambient effect if they made it out of some translucent diffuse plastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'd actually prefer support for Google video chat over Skype. Google's service ecosystem is really the strong alternative here. Being able to join a Google Hangout in game, get voicemail and text notifications from Google Voice or stream your Google Music library in any game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back