News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.vgleaks.com/orbis-devkits-roadmaptypes/

SoC Based Devkit

Available January 2013
CPU: 8-core Jaguar
GPU: Liverpool GPU
RAM: unified 8 GB for devkit (4 GB for the retail console)
Subsystem: HDD, Network Controller, BD Drive, Bluetooth Controller, WLAN and HDMI (up to 1980×1080@3D)
Analog Outputs: Audio, Composite Video
Connection to Host: USB 3.0 (targeting over 200 MB/s),
ORBIS Dualshock
Dual Camera

"Custom South Bridge allows access to controller prototypes"
That kind of implies it requires more than just bluetooth, so maybe it has a display of some sort?

"Dual Camera"
I hope it's what I suggested in the "motion controller" thread, it could solve three (minor) issues I'm having with the Move controller. Z-resolution, Occlusion, and ball size/brightness.

"GPU: Liverpool GPU"
The one thing we wanted more details about, just a name :rolleyes:

"RAM: unified 8 GB for devkit (4 GB for the retail console)"
Still no info about the memory type.

"Analog Outputs: Audio, Composite Video"
Ouf! Let's hope it comes with an RF adapter for my 1970 TV...

What's Liverpool? Otherwise looks the same as the other rumours. That leak is pretty much the same as all the other rumours but with even fewer details.

Gaffer "insiders" suddenly started talking about RAM bandwidth being lowered slightly below 192GB/s.

What configuration of WideIO stack can produce 170+ GB/s? [176 can be divided by 8, so its most likely that :) ].

Surely someone has just made up that codename as it would be in extremely bad taste for.Sony to use that seeing as they recently cost 100+ people their jobs in that fair city.

Didn't someone mention 196 was a but high in one of the threads here days ago and mention 170 would be all it needs. Now a 'gaffer insider' is saying it.

Chinese whispers? One mans theory is another mans 'insider' information lol

Likely they only mentioned 170GB/s figure because that's Durango's dumb additive DDR3 + ESRAM amount, so as not to NDA hammer them self. I don't see that number as anything significant but I'm sure we can debate about it for a while.

So we just reached the point where people stopped to impute Durango with wizzard jizz and instead start to distort the Orbis specs?

Guess we have to wait until E3 so this madness can finally stop...

Gaffer "insiders" suddenly started talking about RAM bandwidth being lowered slightly below 192GB/s.

What configuration of WideIO stack can produce 170+ GB/s? [176 can be divided by 8, so its most likely that :) ].

They are just relaying what someone told them. I do wonder if Kaz is still playing his game. Plus what prompted DF to believe these specs and add their own new info.

Hopefully, we will get the final specs in or before E3.

Not sure what to make of the dual camera info. I do hope they use a HD one this time. They can switch to lower res for capturing motion but the in-app video and photo should look sharp. If we use a SD cam on a 4K display a few years from now, I may not be able to find the postage stamp cam output. ^_^

Wonder if there will be a Skype app if each console is coming with a camera (or 2).

Would MS allow it I wonder... Maybe through a licencing agreement.

Wonder if there will be a Skype app if each console is coming with a camera (or 2).

In-game video chat was conceptualized before PS3 launched. The XMB has a video chat app, which some Gaffers use before our clan game.

2666 MHz / 512 bit DDR4:

(1333*512*2)/8= 170.624 GB/s

In-game video chat was conceptualized before PS3 launched. The XMB has a video chat app, which some Gaffers use before our clan game.
There's 100 video chat apps, the problem is not being Skype they aren't what everyone is using and it makes them infinitely less useful. I doubt the PS4 will get a Skype app, but not necessarily because MS wouldn't allow it. It would be more that Sony doesn't want to feature MS software on their product.

There's 100 video chat apps, the problem is not being Skype they aren't what everyone is using and it makes them infinitely less useful. I doubt the PS4 will get a Skype app, but not necessarily because MS wouldn't allow it. It would be more that Sony doesn't want to feature MS software on their product.

I don't know about PS4 but Skype is out on Vita since a couple of months ago. Sony is pretty open-minded in this aspect.

I actually wouldn't mind FaceTime if Sony can swing a deal with Apple (Fat hope~)

I don't know about PS4 but Skype is out on Vita a couple of months ago. Sony is pretty open-minded in this aspect.

To further what patsu mentioned, Sony's 2013 Bravia lineup includes support for Skype calls (some models):

It's like they're in the room with you. Skype® video calls bring your family and friends closer than ever as they appear as large as life on your big screen—for free.5 Just connect the easy-to-use Skype camera (sold separately) for a face-to-face look at the caller on the beauty of your Sony HDTV.

Doesn't seem particularly surprising (for a conventional bus) if they were originally considering 2Gbit @6Gbps chips as opposed to 4Gbit, which are supposedly just rolling out this quarter (for higher grade bins from Hynix at least).

2Gbit chips would at least have been around for awhile, so the prospects of a higher grade bin would have been better for volume & price given the timeframe.

edit:

Then again, who knows, maybe we're just looking at a 16 DRAM config (2Gbit). XD Double density for devkits. Nothing exotic.

It's a business. While Sony and Microsoft are competitors, they are allso allies. :) It always comes down to what each company thinks will make the most money.

Having Skype on as many devices as possible = greater potential profit for MS.

Having Skype on PS4 = more attractive features for potential customer = greater profit potential for Sony.

Regards,
SB

It's rumored that Skype will replace XBox Live Voice Chat on XBox720. I can't imagine MS wouldn't allow some sort of port of Skype to function on PS3/4. It enhances that service and brand.

It's rumored that Skype will replace XBox Live Voice Chat on XBox720. I can't imagine MS wouldn't allow some sort of port of Skype to function on PS3/4. It enhances that service and brand.

That's true to a point, but Skype on its own also has profit generating potential. Thus allowing Microsoft to potentially generate profits from PS4 users.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back