News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
GT4 is probably mentioned because it was one of the very rare PS2 games that had the ability to run at 1080i resolution. As a big racing fan, I am also very interested to see it run on PS4.

GT4 is probably mentioned because it was one of the very rare PS2 games that had the ability to run at 1080i resolution. As a big racing fan, I am also very interested to see it run on PS4.

The game actually rendered only 640x540 pixels in that 1080i mode and then horizontally scaled that to 1920x540.

As far as I recall, it actually rendered 960x540. 540 because it was interlaced and the 960 were doubled (horizontally scaled to 1920). Or were they indeed tripled from 640?

As far as I recall, it actually rendered 960x540. 540 because it was interlaced and the 960 were doubled (horizontally scaled to 1920). Or were they indeed tripled from 640?

It is as I said :) Finding an official link for it might proove to be too much for me at this point, but you can google Gran Turismo 4 and add 640x540 or 960x540 and analyze the results.

Also 480p being the target resolution for this game, think which is more likely, that they have extra rendering performance laying on the table for either 12.5 or 68.7% of more pixels.

Dreaming for tales of the abyss or radiata stories. They have cell shaded 3d so they should looks fabulous in HD emulator

Does Sony have the rights to allow PS2 disc based emulation on PS4?

Because PS3 could read PS1 games since the beginning. What about PS2 discs on PS4? or PS1 discs on PS4?

Why not both? :yep2:

Why wouldn't they? PS2 discs could also be read and played on PS3 via hacks, so the emulator was capable.
This makes me very curious. I had no idea that was possible. The previous BC models had PS2 hardware in them in order to play the games.
How well did later PS3 models play those games considering that it is running through a simple hack? I made a quick search and someone reported running Persona and FF12 flawlessly
If the PS3 could run PS2 game so simply it makes you wonder why Sony did not enable this.

Any PS3 can run PS2 games from the store via built in emulator. The hack just makes possible to feed it with any PS2 iso.

Any PS3 can run PS2 games from the store via built in emulator. The hack just makes possible to feed it with any PS2 iso.
Those games AFAIK received specific emulation optimizations to run well on PS3.
How well did other ps2 games run on the PS3 via this hack? As it seems it wasnt simply making the PS3 able to run them. They were also very playable.

Well the hack just proves that the games from the store are vanilla ps2 games or at least the emu is able to run vanilla games. It also disables encryption so any normal iso can be used.

I haven't used the hack so can't tell how it works. But as I heard it's good.

Makes me sad that Sony didnt make all PS3's BC via software then with at least a disclaimer that some games may not play perfectly

Nesh is talking about PS2 emulation on PS3. It exists, capable of runnning games from disk, but isn't made openly available. To think I have here a console that I could have used to play my PS2 games (the two times until I realise they are old and rubbish and want to move on! :p) and I'm refused by a software flag. Like cameras that are capable of recording 60 Hz video but have regional FW locking that option out. Or TVs that can play 50 Hz content but have locks preventing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back