News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will 60fps PS4 remote play ever be possible, or is that set in stone by the encoding hardware?

Good question. Might be a good idea to look at the hardware capabilities of the VCE unit in a ~7850 generation of card to see what might be possible. That assumes there is a VCE equivalent unit in the PS4 with similar hardware. In which case, it would seem to come down to driver support from Sony/AMD.

If the wuu - which is over a year older tech than PS4 - can do it, then one would immediately assume it must be possible. Especially as PS4 was apparantly partially engineered with vita remote play in mind, considering the huge mindshare the interconnect received during the february 2013 unveil conference.

Then, back in reality, there's this inconvenient saying about assumptions... :)

Anyone know where I can get informed what is currently part of PS4 cert, what devs need to include in their code so that game can pass it [both technical things and "usability" requirements]?

It doesn't have to be too precise or to cover everything, simplified list of some of the requirements would be enough.

Anyone know where I can get informed what is currently part of PS4 cert, what devs need to include in their code so that game can pass it [both technical things and "usability" requirements]?

It doesn't have to be too precise or to cover everything, simplified list of some of the requirements would be enough.

Language for regions(if you are doing more than US), trademarks of publishers, all sony required trademarks and language, spelling mistakes in general.

Then you gotta complete a fairly thorough bug test each time for cert

They also check to ensure you aren't inserting malicious things into your game each time for cert. (ie Trying to avoid Hot Coffee)

Having said that you'll likely cert with your publisher as a pre-cert.

Playstation should spin off into its own company so it isn't dragged down by the rest of the company that's sinking around them.
One of Sony's biggest investors, Daniel Loeb, has been banging on about this for a few years. Given PlayStation's prospects are looking good, this would be a foolish time to spin it off.

What it more likely to happen, as Sony have been doing for the past four years, is their unprofitable business will be sold, re-purposed or closed. Selling expensive phones isn't hugely profitable these days unless you're Apple or Samsung.

I worry for my cousin. He works for them in their music department. I think his department is profitable so he should be okay. But who knows what will happen if the current health of the company keeps getting worse / not better

I can't help but feel a Sony + Nintendo collaboration is the best option for both. Nintendo need a strong hardware platform. Sony needs more money and a way to compete in spaces like mobile. So how's about Nintendo games on Sony consoles, and a special gaming phone (slide open with PSP-style nubs maybe) running Nintendo games, and all sorts of lovely thing. They'd shore up the console space, have the best possible returns in Japan, and have a strong joint platform to tackle the mobile industry and changes it's bringing. Then Nintendo can make available its old IP on Sony's streaming service without needing to stick ancient hardware in every box, and can run a subscription service (using PSN so it's not shite) to access Nintendo World, rendered in gorgeous 1.8 TF DX11+ hardware visuals, with Sony and friends helping them implement modern rendering techniques (Pikmin looking like The Tomorrow Children). Core gamers also won't need a whole new hardware platform to play Nintendo games, meaning more money to spend on software which is more profitable than hardware. Seems highly symbiotic to me.

If Nintendo games came to Playstation, it would be game over. I would walk to the store and buy a PS4 immediately. It would be that simple.

On further reading $1.7 billion of that loss is going to be from their smartphone business. That's insane.

I can't help but feel a Sony + Nintendo collaboration is the best option for both. Nintendo need a strong hardware platform. Sony needs more money and a way to compete in spaces like mobile. So how's about Nintendo games on Sony consoles, and a special gaming phone (slide open with PSP-style nubs maybe) running Nintendo games, and all sorts of lovely thing. They'd shore up the console space, have the best possible returns in Japan, and have a strong joint platform to tackle the mobile industry and changes it's bringing. Then Nintendo can make available its old IP on Sony's streaming service without needing to stick ancient hardware in every box, and can run a subscription service (using PSN so it's not shite) to access Nintendo World, rendered in gorgeous 1.8 TF DX11+ hardware visuals, with Sony and friends helping them implement modern rendering techniques (Pikmin looking like The Tomorrow Children). Core gamers also won't need a whole new hardware platform to play Nintendo games, meaning more money to spend on software which is more profitable than hardware. Seems highly symbiotic to me.

This type of partnership would be a dream come true... however, Nintendo brand loyalist would have a stroke.

however, Nintendo brand loyalist would have a stroke.
Well, not this loyalist. It would be a pretty smart move actually. It would guarantee Nintendo games coming out for a powerful, ACTUAL-HD platform instead of Nintendo's usual anemic bullshit, which would directly benefit me as a lover of great games with great graphics.

Win-win!

...Which is why it will NEVER happen, sadly. (Surprise me, gods of fate, I dare you! :LOL:)

It would be a pretty smart move actually.
Aye?
Its a very dumb move, the hardwares already profitable this early into the generation & its only gonna get better from now on. Sure it would bring in a few more ppl (i.e. that current wii U userbase that want to play nintendo games & a tiny bit more) which is always welcome but if it means they've gotta give half their profits to nintnedo, ultimately sony bottomline loses out.
If youre gonna suggest that you might as well go the whole hog an suggest
sony & nintendo & MS bring their games to the PS4 (and drop their own consoles) and split the profits

result =
happy = nintendo / sony / consumer (unless they jack up the price of ps4 to $800)
sad = sony

i.e. why would sony do something that makes them earn less money?

Why would Sony earn less money? :???:

If anything, they'd earn more money, as nintendo loyalists would be buying playstation hardware, plus royalties for sold games.

Why would Sony earn less money? :???:

If anything, they'd earn more money, as nintendo loyalists would be buying playstation hardware, plus royalties for sold games.

Because Nintendo wouldn't spread themselves for free. Sony would have to pay Nintendo some fee to get the deed done. Nintendo may be stupid, but they're not gonna be stupid whores; they get paid to do the wild thing.

I assume he means Sony would need to spend a MFT of cash to buy-out Nintendo.

I assume he means Sony would need to spend a MFT of cash to buy-out Nintendo.
What happened to the days of mutual mergers? Sony and Nintendo should shake hands and be friends, not one buy the other out. If Scotland and England can do it, Nintendo and Sony could do it. :yep2:

Of course, it's pie-in-the-sky thinking and won't happen, but for those thinking Nintendo will make less money, though true that they'd make less than their heyday selling lots of hardware,they'd be making more money than the probably will going forwards from now. The idea is both Sony and Nintendo make more money (Sony sell more consoles and games, Nintendo sells more games plus hardware sales because I see a merger and the hardware belongs to both), and both have a strong position to tackle mobile that's beating them both up and will likely only get worse.

What happened to the days of mutual mergers? Sony and Nintendo should shake hands and be friends, not one buy the other out. If Scotland and England can do it, Nintendo and Sony could do it. :yep2:

Of course, it's pie-in-the-sky thinking and won't happen, but for those thinking Nintendo will make less money, though true that they'd make less than their heyday selling lots of hardware,they'd be making more money than the probably will going forwards from now. The idea is both Sony and Nintendo make more money (Sony sell more consoles and games, Nintendo sells more games plus hardware sales because I see a merger and the hardware belongs to both), and both have a strong position to tackle mobile that's beating them both up and will likely only get worse.

But 'Sony' is a lot larger than SCE. They could never do a SquareEnix, as you would NEVER, EVER see the next Spiderman movie, or their new camera or anything else that they do released by Sontendo... Nintony... :runaway:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back